PDA

View Full Version : Question: Direct tv

Trevor F
05-20-2010, 02:50 PM
What package is the best deal? Is there internet through wildblue worth a shit?

Is the hd package worth the extra dough or really not much difference?

I see they have 150 channels for 29.99 first 6 months then 60 from there on.

Wife wants satellite. Dont know the best way to go about it. post your experience and how youve figured out how to have it all and save the most cash lol

Cez★
05-20-2010, 02:53 PM
uverse ftw. i got teh cablez and intrawebz. cable comes with a fuckton of channels as well as HD and HBO for free for 6 months. some fast ass intrawebz. all for about 120 or something :shrug:
cant help you with satellite though :roflsad:

Trevor F
05-20-2010, 02:55 PM
im in bumfuctegypt so i need wireless shit lol

Cez★
05-20-2010, 02:57 PM
:emo: weaksauce

2005_Silverado
05-20-2010, 04:18 PM
IDK what their cheapest plan is, but weve got a good selection with our "Latino" package :rofl: HD is nice and really never lose signal unless its REALLY raining HARD. I think Juan has satellite internet and the upload sucks but DL is fine.

theholycow
05-20-2010, 05:09 PM
As of the last time I investigated:
Satellite internet uses a modem on a phone line for its upload and the satellite is used for download. Download speeds are fine but latency is awful (useless for gaming, mildly annoying for web browsing).

Trevor F
05-20-2010, 07:44 PM
so no go on the web what i got is fine for now just need to decide on a tv package

SarkOzy
05-20-2010, 07:49 PM
cheapest :shrug:

stonehenge
05-20-2010, 08:20 PM
What package is the best deal? Is there internet through wildblue worth a shit?

Is the hd package worth the extra dough or really not much difference?

I see they have 150 channels for 29.99 first 6 months then 60 from there on.

Wife wants satellite. Dont know the best way to go about it. post your experience and how youve figured out how to have it all and save the most cash lol
I have DishNetwork, but hopefully I can help a little at least.

I can't help you much with the HD or programming, my rents pay that shit. However if you have more than one TV, look into dual boxes. If the two rooms are close enough, you can use one box for 2 tvs. One remote is wireless (through walls). Kinda cool and you only pay for 1 box.

As for the internet... It is faster than 56k to download and visit web pages but it is nowhere near cable and will NOT work for gaming. Also, you have a monthly limit and its expensive. I think we are paying $70-$80/mo for this shit and we have a 17gb limit. Oh and the cheaper plans have lower limits are are even slower.

DSL is better if you can get it. I can't get anything but satellite/56k here.
As of the last time I investigated:
Satellite internet uses a modem on a phone line for its upload and the satellite is used for download. Download speeds are fine but latency is awful (useless for gaming, mildly annoying for web browsing).
No phoneline involved. Not with wildblue (dish network) anyway. You have one coax cable coming into the room from the dish. It plugs into the modem, then you use ethernet cable to connect your computer/router to it. Simple.

I do lose connection during hard storms though :blah: