Go Back   All Offtopic Forums > Offtopic > Anything Goes
Arcade Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-09-2011, 06:16 PM   #1051
stonehenge
y u hovering on my shit for?

stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

cao, i know you aren't a gamer but I think you'll get a good out of this:

stonehenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:04 PM   #1052
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

---------- Post added at 01:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 PM ----------

Student leaves laptop. I diagnose failed hard drive, tell him to buy new drive, bring me recovery discs, I'll take care of it.

Weeks later he brings drive and discs. I install, but Windows can't update. I download SP1 manually and it won't install. I take the hard drive out to run chkdsk from USB.

By now a day has gone by. He comes in wanting his laptop. I try to explain that it's not working right. He asks if internet and Word work, I say yes but it's still not right. I try to explain what an error is but he doesn't understand and he gets worried that the new hard drive he bought is defective. Etc, etc, etc. What an awkward conversation.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:00 PM   #1053
stonehenge

stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

Cox had some super-outages last night. I guess their DNS servers took a shit. All of a sudden last night I could get to AOT but every other page I tried (photobucket, netflix, imgur, google, etc) gave me a DNS error. Not sure why AOT was special.

So I just changed my DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4 (Google's DNS servers) and everything went back to normal. Changed it on my PS3 and Netflix worked again.

Coworker was saying he tried calling Cox and couldn't get through for a while. Once he did, he was on hold for over an hour AFTER getting thru the automated system they have setup. Once he got to an actual person, he was told that they are having major server problems, have lots of people working on it, and that the outage covers multiple states.

If only peeps knew how to change le DNS.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:02 PM   #1054
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

Maybe I have my DNS set that way and that's why I didn't notice. I doubt those Cox have separate DNS servers for different regions. I do tend to use Google DNS and OpenDNS.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:38 PM   #1055
stonehenge

I know googling quickly showed that some peeps in AZ, CA, FL, and VA were complaining. So it must cover both ends of the country.

Not sure if it's still down, maybe I'll change my DNS back to automatic when I get home. Probably not though, I hated getting Cox errors when it couldn't find a page. Fgtry.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:11 PM   #1056
stonehenge

I'm ready to throw this 2008R2 server out le window.

We have a few non-domain users that need to map drives (mostly laptops). They map fine but then act completely retarded. It only happens when they are mapped on Vista/7 boxes. XP and Mac have no problems mapping and using drives like normal.

Here is an example of one directory I am testing with. I am mapping the users homedir. On the server, this is its location:

E:\Department\Users\derp

E:\Department is a namespace, lets call it DPT. So when domain machines want to get to their homedir via path they can just enter \\DPT\Users\derp. That namespace has share permissions and security permissions for Admin users only because we don't want derp and derpina looking through everyone's homedirs and shares.

Then the Users directory is automatically "shared" since it is under the DPT namespace. It's permissions are the same as the Department directory since I don't want them browsing other users homedirs (or even the list of them).

Then Derp's actual homedir has the same admin-only properties except that user is also added to both the security and share permissions of the directory, with full access.

As far as I can tell this should be correct. If I map the drive on XP or Mac, I can go through these steps just fine:

- Create new text file.
- Rename text file to fts.txt
- Open text file, type "lulz", save, close.
- Delete text file.

When I map the drive on W7 using the exact same path and credentials, this happens:

- Create new text file (success)
- Rename to fts.txt (fail) (You need permission to perform this action. You require permission from DOMAIN\derp to make changes to this file.) Note: I mapped the drive as DOMAIN\derp....
- Open text file, type "lulz", save, close. (success)
- Delete text file. (success)

So wtf how can I have permission to create, edit, delete, but not rename!? I have tried every registry tweak and setting I can find on google and nothing has fixed it. It is driving me crazy.

Oh and if I go on the server and right click derps homedir and go to properties > security > advanced > effective permissions and type in derps username then every single box is checked.

---------- Post added at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 PM ----------

Oh and something I forgot to mention. As a "test" I changed the share permissions on DPT to allow read/write for Everyone. Once I did that, I have the same fucked permissions but when I go to rename, it says "The file or directory doesn't exist" and on the server it copies the file from "/DPT/Users/derp/new text document.txt" to "/DPT/new text document.txt"

Old 11-21-2011, 08:26 PM   #1057
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

Works fine for XP and Mac, look at security policies and shit on the clients, not the server.

As time goes on I thought I'd get used to 7/Vista. I figured the kinks would get ironed out, tips and tricks would become common knowledge, shit would work. I was wrong...no amount of exposure and learning has helped. The reality is that XP is still the best MS OS for desktops.

I say they should re-mainstream XP. Coca Cola did it...New Coke failed and they went to Coca Cola Classic. Microsoft could renew their efforts at XP, update the minor things that are finally beginning to show their age, and have a real winner. Unfortunately they did a great job marketing 7 (unlike Vista) and people won't want XP.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:46 PM   #1058
stonehenge

We don't have ANY group policies running on this server so far. It could be a local policy of some sort but we don't custom set any of those either and I'm running a clean install of W7 minus a webcam program I was testing for someone. The same issue happens on a variety of machines, some with OEM installs, some with our edu install.

I guess it's time to go one-by-one thru the local policies fml

I like W7 at home but I hate it at work.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:58 PM   #1059
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

Yup. We've had trouble with default W7 local policies.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:12 PM   #1060
stonehenge

Old 11-22-2011, 05:16 PM   #1061
stonehenge

Cao, in my example with the main share and then a subdir for users and homedirs in there, should the users have any security permissions on the users dir and the main share?

I'm thinking of redoing all the permissions to make them correct but need to figure out the best way to set this up.

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 AM ----------

did i mention that i hate windows at work?
Old 11-22-2011, 05:19 PM   #1062
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

I have a setup just like that. The parent folder has these special permissions allowed for everyone:
Traverse folder / execute file
List folder / read data
Read attributes
Read extended attributes
Read permissions
You can probably get away with just Traverse folder / execute file.

All other filesystem-level permissions are neither explicitly allowed nor denied. I think I have no share permissions defined.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:51 PM   #1063
stonehenge

ok, gonna need to redo all the permissions at some point when no one is using it

That could be where some of the issues are coming from, I don't think "Everyone" has permissions on anything rofl

---------- Post added at 11:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 AM ----------

about to upgrade a server from 08 to 08 R2

Old 11-22-2011, 08:04 PM   #1064
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

I think the permissions I mentioned are set to "Not inheritable", too. You can add those permissions live without any chance of knocking anyone offline.

Doing in-place upgrade to R2? Tell me more.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:07 PM   #1065
stonehenge

Yeah but it's a different server. Used by a lab for some weird shit they do. It isn't a DC or anything. I think they use it for terminal services.

About to start the install, hopefully R2 doesn't introduce any ratardness for any of their programs.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:40 PM   #1066
stonehenge

I fuckin' love RDP

that is all.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:21 PM   #1067
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

I love the protocol and back-end of the client, but I am never quite 100% happy with the client interface. I have hacked around with .RDP files to make the best of it, at least.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:37 PM   #1068
stonehenge

ah yeah i wish you could have a nice list of servers saved, perhaps even save credentials and password protect the whole program or something
Old 11-28-2011, 05:05 PM   #1069
stonehenge

Okay, giving Everyone read permissions fixed a couple issues we had but I am still having the Non-domain W7 problem.

When a non-domain W7 box maps a share, they can create, delete, open, edit, but can't rename. As a side effect, some programs won't save changes (because I think they work by saving a temp file and then RENAMING it when the user tells it to save).

If I join the box to the domain, the drive has correct permissions, even if I log into the local account and map. So I don't have to be logged into the domain for it to work, the machine just has to be part of the domain. That's fine for laptops and whatnot, I can join them and then they can continue logging in locally.

But it won't work for users who use their personal computers or for users on other domains (we have a few domains in our college). So I need to figure this shit out.

It's really pissing me off.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:08 PM   #1070
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

Old 11-28-2011, 05:53 PM   #1071
stonehenge

Yes. The share works when logged into the domain, on a local account on a W7 machine that is joined to the domain, on a Mac, and on XP (regardless of domain). Just refuses to work on W7 when the machine isn't joined to THIS domain.

POS.

So many local policies to look through and Google isn't helping me at all today.

---------- Post added at 09:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 AM ----------

When i try to rename a file on the share, it gives me the error:

Quote:
File Access Denied

You need permissions to perform this action

You require permission from DOMAIN\user to make changes to this file
Of course the domain and user are the actual domain im using and username im testing with. I mapped with the credentials for that user so I SHOULD have permission. I've even tried adding the credentials to W7's "Credential Manager" and it doesn't help.

---------- Post added at 09:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 AM ----------

Hmm when I right click the share and go to properties, there isn't a security tab or anything (might be normal for a share, idk) but there is a DFS tab. It lists the \\SERVER\dept namespace but says "Unreachable"

Maybe adding SERVER to the hosts file will help. BRB

---------- Post added at 09:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 AM ----------

well that didn't do shit

dfw burn this bish to the ground and setup linux/samba server
Old 11-28-2011, 06:17 PM   #1072
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

DFS? That's out of my range of expertise...I've had a little bit of experience with it and I want to run all our filesharing here on it, but that's all.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:28 PM   #1073
stonehenge

I can't figure this shit out, making me want to quit job and become vagabond jumping from train to train with no cares in the world.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:37 PM   #1074
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan! View Post
become vagabond jumping from train to train with no cares in the world.
Artist: Dierks Bentley (feat. The Del McCoury Band)
Song: Train Travelin'
Album: What Was I Thinkin

Everytime I hear the whistle whine
From a lonesome locomotive, comin down the line
It carries me back to another place in time
When train travelin across the land was the only way to fly

Am I a fool to think it glamorous
Box-Carring like a hobo, it must have been rough
But a simple way of life is what it really means to me
When we weren't so dependent on money to be free

I hear you train, are you travelin my way
Won't you let me ride your rails right back to yesterday
Who knows what I could see from that ole time machine
But there you go again train travelin,
There you go again train travelin

I'm lying on a rotten wooden floor
Smell yesterday's whiskey here rattlin' at the door
A railroad man lookin' for me, I'm scared as I can be
I open my eyes and realize it's just another dream

But there you go again train travelin

Video page
Full screen
Old 11-30-2011, 06:14 PM   #1075
stonehenge

Fixed the issue with a lmhosts modification

I had previously tried setting up lmhosts like so:

69.69.69.69 lulz.lolyumad.edu

when it needed to be:

69.69.69.69 lulzboxname

Adding that allows the non-domain box to correctly communicate with DFS and now everything works like sekz on a rollercoaster.