Thread: Important: The Chat Thread 2
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2017, 06:43 PM   #124729
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

Whether or not he violated any rules becomes moot in light of my larger point, that if you want to avoid problems (fair or otherwise) you gotta avoid problem people. If you put yourself right there where a problem person is doing problem stuff, well what do you expect?

Although we are most concerned with the cop who hassled him after 50 seconds, he DID wait 4 minutes for his passenger. This obviously wasn't a case of the passenger almost waiting curbside, stuck in a logjam at the door or something, and the driver knowing he was only going to be there for 60 seconds while his passenger closes the gap from the door to the curb. 4 minutes is an eternity at a busy airport pickup curb and the driver planned to wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonehenge View Post
he wasn't doing anything wrong and that was an open spot in a pretty crowded area, he took it.
Cop seems to think the rule is that you can't take an open spot in a crowded area unless your passenger is already curbside, and rule or not I would certainly say it's a dick move when there are so few spaces and so many passengers already curbside.

I certainly get irritated when my parents are clearly visible curbside and there's nowhere to stop because there are drivers just sitting there, and it doesn't matter whether they were there for 50 seconds, 5 minutes, or 50 minutes, that's still a space I could have picked up my parents.

I tried to dig up the actual written rules but they're clear as mud. The best I could come up with:

https://www.lawa.org/uploadedFiles/A...Operations.pdf
Quote:
No vehicle shall stop, wait or park in any area adjacent to a curb which is painted white, except that a vehicle may be stopped at a white zone while actively engaged in the immediate loading or unloading of passengers and/or baggage. No vehicle stopped in a white zone shall be left unattended. Stopping a taxi in a white zone for the purpose of waiting for passengers and/or baggage is however permitted, provided that the white zone is designated as a taxi zone by a sign or other marking.
http://www.lawa.org/welcome_LAX.aspx?id=13088
Quote:
Transportation Network Companies (TNC)

Lyft, Inc. and Rasier-CA, LLC (Uber) are authorized to provide pick-up services at LAX. Passengers can make a request once they are located on the terminal curbside.

Authorized Transportation Network Companies may drop-off and pick-up passengers on the Airport Upper/Departures Level only. The airport fee applies to both a drop-off trip and to a pick-up trip.

Signs that state “Ride Service Pick-Up” are positioned on the Upper/Departures Level to facilitate the meeting point.
http://www.lawa.org/uploadedFiles/Ai...egulations.pdf
Quote:
“Taxicab” - A Commercial Vehicle equipped with a taxi meter authorized to operate as a taxicab by City and the LADOT.

“Taxicab Stand” - Curb space located on the terminal sidewalk curb on the Lower Level Roadway designated for taxis with markings and signs.

“TNC” – Transportation Network Company as defined by the CPUC as an organization that provides transportation services for compensation using an online enabled application or platform to connect passengers with drivers who are using their personal vehicles.

No Loitering On or Near Airport. No TNC Vehicle shall stage, wait or park in any other areas of the Airport other than the Designated TNC Airport Assignment Area and/or Designated TNC Staging Areas.
According to that, the rules allow a Taxi to wait, but not a TNC...with the possible exception of if that was a designated TNC area.