View Single Post
Old 07-29-2015, 02:10 PM   #24592
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

Never heard of it. Could check it out, but I really don't have anything Android that can run much more than very small games.

My best Android:
http://www.phonearena.com/phones/LG-...8920/fullspecs
Screen size: 4.5 inches
Resolution: 480 x 800 pixels
Pixel density: 207 ppi
System chip: Qualcomm Snapdragon 200 MSM8610
Processor: Dual core, 1200 MHz
Graphics processor: Adreno 302
System memory: 1024 MB RAM / LPDDR2
Built-in storage: 4 GB
Maximum User Storage: 1.34 GB

...and that storage number isn't realistic, and it's always full. I bet if I deleted allthethings or maybe even did factory reset I couldn't install Fallout Shelter.

So, screenshots and descriptions of Fallout Shelter kinda harkened back to X-COM: UFO Defense, a game I played in the 1990s. Then, reading one of the articles about it I found out that I wasn't the only one with that idea:
http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/14/87...da-mobile-game
The game looks like a cross between SimTower and the base management system in XCOM: Enemy Unknown.
Of course I googled XCOM: Enemy Unknown and found that it was described as a remake of X-COM: UFO Defense.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XCOM:_Enemy_Unknown
So I was like "Fuck yeah, I'm gonna do stuff".

But, in reality, you don't do stuff. You set up stuff and move characters around to different jobs and then you wait for characters to do stuff. If you have weapons or armor you equip characters with them when they're not doing anything (you could probably change equipment when they're doing stuff but there's no point). Even if there's a fire or radioactive cockroach attack, you don't direct a character to arm a weapon and how to use it, you just send the character there or you don't.

All you do is set up rooms, assign characters to them, and wait until you can harvest whatever the room makes. Build a power generator room and once in a while it produces power; just like when my wife taps the bouncing corn on her cornfield in Farmville, I tap the bouncing lightning bolt and it gets added to my electricity storage. Same for water, food, medical supplies, etc.

You can send people to crew quarters and wait for them to fuck and get pregnant. Then you wait for the kid to be born, then you wait for the kid to grow up, then you put the kid to work either fucking or making supplies or send him off to explore the wasteland.

I guess there is the possibility of raiders attacking from the wasteland, but I bet fighting them is no different than fighting cockroaches, just send people to the room and wait.

Mostly, you just sit around and wait. Best is to tap a few things then shut it off and come back in a half hour. You don't gather equipment (beyond occasional weapons or armor, but even then never enough for all your characters), you don't build anything other than rooms, you never go anywhere, and the scenery never changes.

I'll keep at it a little more but I don't think it will hold my interest. I'm going to try starting fresh now that I have a better idea how to play, see if maybe with some more success it will get more interesting, but I bet I'll run into the same lameness.

There is one other comparison I'd make besides Farmville and X-COM: UFO Defense...