PDA

View Full Version : Fgtry

SarkOzy
10-10-2011, 01:37 PM
So, somewhat serious question. Juan's bertstare at me saying I turn my phone off at night got me thinking. :jester:

Is it better or worse for electronics to turn them off when you're done using them? I don't mean everytime you put it away, just at night mainly. I turn my TVs, laptop and phone all off every night before I go to bed. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to doing that? Teh internets say both.

stonehenge
10-10-2011, 01:52 PM
I turn things off that weren't meant to run 24/7 like the TV and Laptop and have my monitors shut off after a while. But phones and desktop computers are pretty much designed to be on all the time so I don't see the harm.

At the same time, I doubt shutting them off at night will hurt anything. Shit, it could extend their life.

Loldunno.

SarkOzy
10-10-2011, 01:53 PM
Could be reason beast Eris is still BAMF. :animehmm:

Cez★
10-10-2011, 02:11 PM
Just whn I thought could get no weirder, I am proven wrong.

I leave phone on. Turn TV off. Lappy usually in sleep mode. Everything else stays on. Router/cable box be on

stonehenge
10-10-2011, 02:27 PM
leaving shit on repz dispensed

Cez★
10-10-2011, 03:42 PM
:fuckyeah:

theholycow
10-10-2011, 05:50 PM
Phones are meant to stay on non-stop. They have no marginal cooling, no moving parts, nothing with a definite life.

Computers, I disagree with Juan. They have moving parts that DO wear out and they have more cooling needs than they have cooling.

Besides life of the device, there's also wasted energy...electricity ain't free.

stonehenge
10-10-2011, 05:52 PM
Oh I'm not saying desktop computers will last longer or perform better or anything by leaving them on non stop but I think most computers these days are designed to be running all the time since they usually are in most households.

It definitely shortens their life a bit and wastes energy.

Cez★
10-10-2011, 06:20 PM
i unplug my lappy for teh night fts. the light that stays on when connected bugs me

stonehenge
10-10-2011, 06:22 PM
My laptop is asleep all the time or powered down. We mostly use the desktop and if waifu needs lappy then she just turns it on and shuts it off when done.

Never been a fan of letting laptops run long-term fts

Cez★
10-10-2011, 06:24 PM
orly. i only turn off on weekends. me no likes boot time so i put it on hibernate or whatever to turn on quick so when i get home i can access animez quick

VmaxEngage
10-10-2011, 06:26 PM
Phone stays on, laptop in sleep, desktop off.

:fp:

SarkOzy
10-10-2011, 06:30 PM
:hmm:

Good point Cao. One thing I've sort of associated with phones (rightly or wrongly) is that solid state memory doesn't actually fail like mechanical hard drives do, but at some point after a number of write/rewrite cycles it will just fail. The same logic applies to solid state relays and PLCs. When the phone is on, it's constantly writing/rewriting to that memory block so I've just assumed having it off for 10 hours a day could extend the life. May be wrong though.

stonehenge
10-10-2011, 06:33 PM
orly. i only turn off on weekends. me no likes boot time so i put it on hibernate or whatever to turn on quick so when i get home i can access animez quick
If we used the lappy for everything then we'd do the same but haz desktop for everything, don't use lappy often.
:hmm

Good point Cao. One thing I've sort of associated with phones (rightly or wrongly) is that solid state memory doesn't actually fail like mechanical hard drives do, but at some point after a number of write/rewrite cycles it will just fail. The same logic applies to solid state relays and PLCs. When the phone is on, it's constantly writing/rewriting to that memory block so I've just assumed having it off for 10 hours a day could extend the life. May be wrong though.
I never turn mine off and haven't had any of them have failed memory. You break it or the screen or something that gets interacted with usually dies first. :shrug:

Cez★
10-10-2011, 06:42 PM
Yea physical damage > software damage rofl

SarkOzy
10-10-2011, 06:53 PM
:rofl2: I'm damn near paranoid with electronics. I'm constantly reminding myself to be careful and avoid damaging them.

Manbearpig
10-10-2011, 07:28 PM
My phone = alarm clock. On 24/7

stonehenge
10-10-2011, 07:31 PM
:repz:

Manbearpig
10-10-2011, 07:32 PM
Though twitter notifications 24/7 :bertstare:

stonehenge
10-10-2011, 07:33 PM
:cheeky:

JayBo
10-10-2011, 07:48 PM
I don't turn off a damn thing lol
Except the TV and Playstation

theholycow
10-10-2011, 09:07 PM
Yeah, solid state stuff like memory does have a finite life but it's so much longer than I'll ever have a phone. By the time it fails from normal wear (or whatever you want to call it), there won't be towers that will connect to it. Analog phones still work but there's no more towers for them...

I usually replace my phone when I can't buy a replacement battery for it for cheaper than a new phone, or when I'm switching carriers. Those batteries definitely wear out.

stonehenge
10-10-2011, 09:15 PM
fuck batteries

:whoapanda: JK batteries I <3 U, plz no die on me plz :chuy:

shootermcgavin003
10-10-2011, 11:28 PM
cept phone i turn that shit off

juice cost money