PDA

View Full Version : Need computer help

linden
03-06-2011, 10:14 PM
So i Have AVG free on my laptop and a few months ago apparently there was an update that fucked up alot of people's shit. and im one of them this is the first chance ive had to mess with it.

Problemo:
My computer rebooted and now it cant get past the windows xp screen with the little bar under it. if i try to start up in safe mode it stalls at AVGIDSEH.Sys.

what ive done:
searched around alittle and found out about the apparent update errors. so i created the AVG rescue cd like they want u to. renamed all the avg files like they suggest and still have the same issue. tried calling tech support but they say with free software the only support offered is "how to uninstall from windows" even thought on there site they show this being a common problem from AVG free. ive now tried just deleting all avg filles using the rescue cd but still the same issues.

Any suggestions

theholycow
03-06-2011, 10:45 PM
If I understand your symptom correctly, Windows is failing to boot because it can't load AVGIDSEH.Sys (whether it can't find it, or it is found but corrupt).

You'll need to boot from a liveCD or slave the drive onto another computer (either internally or using a USB adapter/enclosure). Your options are:

1. Replace AVGIDSEH.Sys with a known good version. This should be pretty easy, especially if you keep backups of your system.

2. Prevent Windows from trying to load it. You'll need to find it in the registry and delete it. The registry files are located in c:\windows\system32\config and are named with no extension. You could use the Load Hive command in regular Windows Regedit or you may be able to use nirsoft regscanner (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/regscanner.html). I recommend regscanner at least to help you find it...regedit's search is slow and lame.

---------- Post added at 04:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 PM ----------

Actually, there are a couple other options.

Can you boot to safe mode? That will let you use those tools there or just uninstall AVG normally. You could also run System Restore from there and roll back to the last good restore point.

Also, in the boot menu have you tried Last Known Good Configuration?

shootermcgavin003
03-06-2011, 11:33 PM
and he types this with hoofs

MFB
03-07-2011, 12:31 AM
or you can just boot with live cd and use the avg removal tool

http://www.avg.com/us-en/download-tools

LOL

theholycow
03-07-2011, 12:46 AM
Didn't know about that. :happy:

Does it come as a liveCD or do you have to boot a Windows liveCD to run it?