PDA

View Full Version : Computer help thread

theholycow
10-19-2009, 06:08 PM
This is not meant to replace the IT thread, which is intended for IT folks (like me and Juan) to discuss IT issues that we have in a corporate IT context.

This thread is for consumer-level PC help.

I'll get it started with a question:
Does anyone have a way I can install an "Up" button in Windows Explorer in Windows 7?

Sucks:
http://cache.lifehacker.com/assets/resources/2008/07/no-more-up-button.png
http://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/image93.png

Good:
http://www.techfuels.com/attachments/windows-xp/10867d1241610053-windows-xp-explorer-s-window-desktop-windows-explorer-s-window3.gif
(The third button from the left)
http://www.techfuels.com/attachments/windows-xp/10864d1241609893-windows-xp-explorer-s-window-desktop-windows-explorer-s-window.jpg

There's a $5 program that I refuse to buy that would give me an Up button. If I had Vista I could use qttaskbar, a little Explorer add-on that looks like I'd love it, but doesn't work right in Windows 7.

Of course, I can use the breadcrumbs in the address bar if I want to do it inefficiently, and I can use Alt+UpArrow on the keyboard, but having a consistent green button that I could always click in the same place was very efficient.

Cez★
10-19-2009, 06:14 PM
cant you just click teh folder on W7?

theholycow
10-19-2009, 06:36 PM
Yeah, but it's less efficient because it's always in a different place and isn't particularly visible. The up button was very consistent, high contrast, and very efficient.

Cez★
10-19-2009, 06:38 PM
true true.

BillyJeanKing
10-19-2009, 06:41 PM
I might need to add more monitors to my comp in the futurez

Maybe 2 or 3 screens running on one modem

I know the computer needs to be strong to do it but I don't know how to set up multiple screens or what specs I need for it.

Cez★
10-19-2009, 06:41 PM
watch 3 pr0ns at once?? :hmm:

BillyJeanKing
10-19-2009, 06:44 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

theholycow
10-19-2009, 06:46 PM

I know the computer needs to be strong to do it but I don't know how to set up multiple screens or what specs I need for it.

"Modem" is not the word you're looking for..."computer" is it, or if you feel you must, "tower".

Does not take anything strong, just a video card with dual output or two video cards. Plug it all in and adjust the display properties in Windows.

When you right-click the desktop and go to "Properties" then "Settings", there's a diagram of however many monitors you have plugged in. Click on the non-primary one and then check the box for "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor".

http://driver-pro.com/static/images/article-content/how-set-dual-monitors/extend-desktop.jpg

BillyJeanKing
10-19-2009, 06:48 PM
Yeah meant comp

Thanx THC

JayBo
10-19-2009, 07:15 PM
anyone know if the HP Pavillion laptops have a restore partition?
Model DV5000

theholycow
10-19-2009, 07:22 PM
I know that the DV2000 series does, and I think the keystroke for it is F11.

Boot a linux livecd and use fdisk or gparted or see what partitions are there, that'll tell you for sure.

JayBo
10-19-2009, 07:24 PM
TEn fo'.

Guy called me last week wanting to get all his shit off his laptop which won't boot and re-install.

He backs up at the end of every MONTH :nono: and just so happened it broke between updates so he lost like 3 weeks of work.

stonehenge
10-19-2009, 07:25 PM

Like THC said, any computer should be fine as long as you have the video cards to support it. Since you obviously have one monitor now, adding a second video card that has 2 outputs would allow you to go up to 3. It's funny when you put the monitors in the wrong order and moving from left to right goes from monitor 2 to 1 to 3 or whatever :jester:
watch 3 pr0ns at once?? :hmm:
do want 3 monitors now
anyone know if the HP Pavillion laptops have a restore partition?
Model DV5000
Not sure but I think my dv2000 did. I erased it all though :jester: Fuck that laptop though, it treated me fine until the Mobo started to crap out and HP said "too bad, your juuuust past the warranty, give us $$". :shrug: time for a netbook

BillyJeanKing
10-19-2009, 07:38 PM
Like THC said, any computer should be fine as long as you have the video cards to support it. Since you obviously have one monitor now, adding a second video card that has 2 outputs would allow you to go up to 3. It's funny when you put the monitors in the wrong order and moving from left to right goes from monitor 2 to 1 to 3 or whatever :jester:

:cool:

theholycow
10-19-2009, 08:50 PM
it treated me fine until the Mobo started to crap out and HP said "too bad, your juuuust past the warranty, give us $$". :shrug: time for a netbook

They recalled them. I found out a few weeks after I bought a motherboard on eBay.

stonehenge
10-19-2009, 09:02 PM
They recalled them. I found out a few weeks after I bought a motherboard on eBay.

Yup, I found that out via google so I called HP and they said that they had an extended warranty that was extended even longer due to the Mobo issue but that I was a month too late so I'd have to pay for the repairs myself. :blah: