PDA

View Full Version : IT Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

theholycow
02-09-2009, 05:55 PM
We need an IT thread. This could be for questions or just general IT-related chat, I guess.

My Microsoft Exchange setup is pretty hefty, and a bit complex. It was put together by a contractor and I'm going to add a new database to it, but if they taught me how, I've forgotten. So I'll muddle my way through...anybody know much about this stuff?

stonehenge
02-09-2009, 05:56 PM
I don't know shit about exchange. All I do right now are setup account on the domain, samba shares, password resets, keep an eye on the backups, and lately manage our WSUS server.

Corey
02-09-2009, 05:58 PM
We need an IT thread. This could be for questions or just general IT-related chat, I guess.

My Microsoft Exchange setup is pretty hefty, and a bit complex. It was put together by a contractor and I'm going to add a new database to it, but if they taught me how, I've forgotten. So I'll muddle my way through...anybody know much about this stuff?

What do you mean by new database? new Mailbox database or new folders database? Also Exchange 2003 or 2007?

theholycow
02-09-2009, 06:12 PM
New Mailbox database, Exchange 2007 (running on Windows Server 2008). I'm working through the GUI, letting the wizards do the work, but I've just had a failure.

In the Exchange Management Console --> Server Configuration --> Mailbox --> Database Management, I created a new Storage Group successfully, then created a new DB. It claims to have succeeded creating the DB but failed to mount it. I go to where the DB file should be and it's not there.

Corey
02-09-2009, 06:21 PM
I haven't done anything with adding an additional storage group so I can't help you there. Why are you adding the extra storage group?

theholycow
02-09-2009, 06:33 PM
I'm following the previous architecture. Each DB has its own Storage Group as configured by the contractor who built the system. Maybe I'll try creating a DB in an existing SG and see what happens.

Corey
02-09-2009, 06:39 PM
Ah I see, yea I can't help you out any there.

theholycow
02-09-2009, 08:00 PM
Ok, so I tried creating DB in an existing SG, and I got this error:
Continuous replication only allows one database per storage group.
We have both CCR and SCR, and I don't know which one (or both) doesn't allow more, but that explains why we have a SG for each DB.

I removed the attempt and tried again. This time, I unchecked "Mount this database" and then the "Database file path" text box un-greyed and had appropriate stuff in it by default. I finished the wizard and everything worked. Then after it was created, I mounted it. Looks like success!

Corey
02-09-2009, 08:04 PM
Ok, so I tried creating DB in an existing SG, and I got this error:

We have both CCR and SCR, and I don't know which one (or both) doesn't allow more, but that explains why we have a SG for each DB.

I removed the attempt and tried again. This time, I unchecked "Mount this database" and then the "Database file path" text box un-greyed and had appropriate stuff in it by default. I finished the wizard and everything worked. Then after it was created, I mounted it. Looks like success!

awesome to hear, I'll have to remeber that

theholycow
02-09-2009, 08:08 PM
Is there anything else you can think of that I might need to do, or can I just start adding users to the new DB?

Corey
02-09-2009, 08:10 PM
should be able to start adding users to it.

Has anybody done anything with thin clients?

theholycow
02-09-2009, 08:17 PM
We haven't but we've talked about it. It would ease some of our administration work and possibly deliver better service to the student labs.

Corey
02-09-2009, 08:22 PM
We haven't but we've talked about it. It would ease some of our administration work and possibly deliver better service to the student labs.

Yea my boss just came to me and wants a cheap and easy to manage thin client solution that we can market to our k-12 schools

theholycow
02-09-2009, 08:59 PM
I just found out that Windows Media Player streaming can go all over the place on random UDP ports. I was using Wireshark when I saw clumps of packets on these weird UDP ports and freaked out....then the user's computer wouldn't let me remote in and the user wasn't answering her phone. Turns out that messed up firewall settings prevented VNC, and I assume she was on the phone when I tried to call.

theholycow
02-09-2009, 09:45 PM
Ok, here's another basic dumbass question: How can I get started deploying GPOs to push configuration changes through my domain?

I've been using login scripts, but I'd like to use GPOs. I've got a laundry list of things I'd like to do...

Corey
02-09-2009, 09:52 PM
Server 2008 has a lot of new GPO's you can configure, use group policy management and start looking through the avaliable options. We have a test computer here that is in its own OU and we test all our group policys on before we deploy them across our or customers domains.

theholycow
02-09-2009, 09:57 PM
I've never done anything with GPOs in a production environment. Years ago I took a course where I learned about it with Server 2000 but I've totally forgotten everything about it.

Good idea testing on a guinea pig first.

Shaggy
02-09-2009, 10:09 PM
I need some walkthrough on figuring out how to tie in a extrenal hard drive to my ps3 and get the ps3 to see the hard drive. Fill me in on this one ;)

Corey
02-09-2009, 10:09 PM
Download this http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=2043B94E-66CD-4B91-9E0F-68363245C495&displaylang=en and look through it, its pretty handy.

Charles
02-09-2009, 11:13 PM
Has anybody done anything with thin clients?
Yes. What kind of questions do you have?

Corey
02-09-2009, 11:16 PM
Yes. What kind of questions do you have?

Just trying to get an idea of what kind of thin clients people have had good experiences with. I've found some linux ones that i'm testing out, but my boss is wanting me to find something that is diskless and uses network boot to load the OS. What kind of thin clients have you used?

Johnny Utah
02-10-2009, 01:19 AM
I need some walkthrough on figuring out how to tie in a extrenal hard drive to my ps3 and get the ps3 to see the hard drive. Fill me in on this one ;)

If it is anything like hooking a thumbdrive to it, then you just plug it in. The PS3 OS will only recognize certain files, such as Mp3's and video files. Other than that, I have no idea.

Charles
02-10-2009, 03:23 AM
Just trying to get an idea of what kind of thin clients people have had good experiences with. I've found some linux ones that i'm testing out, but my boss is wanting me to find something that is diskless and uses network boot to load the OS. What kind of thin clients have you used?
We had some HP thin clients that booted up a terminal session from one of our Citrix servers. We no longer use them but we didn't really have any problems with them. We have 150+ Citrix servers but no longer deploy desktops on them just applications.

Charles
02-10-2009, 03:26 AM
I've never done anything with GPOs in a production environment. Years ago I took a course where I learned about it with Server 2000 but I've totally forgotten everything about it.

Good idea testing on a guinea pig first.
If I were you I would try to setup a duplicate test network to play around on and try GPOs. If possible, use your backups to duplicate your DC that way you know it's configured exactly as the production one. You do not want to screw up a GPO on the production side. We had to restrict access to people creating GPOs in our environment because they weren't taking into account their impact on people.

Corey
02-10-2009, 03:30 AM
We had some HP thin clients that booted up a terminal session from one of our Citrix servers. We no longer use them but we didn't really have any problems with them. We have 150+ Citrix servers but no longer deploy desktops on them just applications.

We are using citrix for application deployment right now too. Any reason you all got away from the desktop deployment?

Charles
02-10-2009, 03:34 AM
We are using citrix for application deployment right now too. Any reason you all got away from the desktop deployment?
Management made that decision. We have people who thought that it wasn't the best way to spend money. It made perfect sense to me. The people who had them now have a 2.4GHz dual core with 4GB of RAM and all they do is sign in and launch Citrix and launch their apps. :roflsquared: Other than Office apps they use everything in Citrix.

I wasn't on this team when management made that decision or else I would have tried to make an argument to reassess it. I was still supporting desktops then. As it is now we have no reason to have 11,000 desktops. We could most likely be down to 1,000-2,000 desktops top with the rest being thin clients.

So do you support the Citrix apps at your work or does someone else? I rarely get to talk to someone that works with Citrix a lot.

Corey
02-10-2009, 03:44 AM
Management made that decision. We have people who thought that it wasn't the best way to spend money. It made perfect sense to me. The people who had them now have a 2.4GHz dual core with 4GB of RAM and all they do is sign in and launch Citrix and launch their apps. :roflsquared: Other than Office apps they use everything in Citrix.

I wasn't on this team when management made that decision or else I would have tried to make an argument to reassess it. I was still supporting desktops then. As it is now we have no reason to have 11,000 desktops. We could most likely be down to 1,000-2,000 desktops top with the rest being thin clients.

So do you support the Citrix apps at your work or does someone else? I rarely get to talk to someone that works with Citrix a lot.

I do a little bit with the citrix, but mostly just adding apps to the access essentials. I mostly do work with firewalls and network audits and now possibly planning a thin client deployment.

Charles
02-10-2009, 03:50 AM
I do a little bit with the citrix, but mostly just adding apps to the access essentials. I mostly do work with firewalls and network audits and now possibly planning a thin client deployment.
http://www.brianmadden.com

There are some good resources on there to read up on. I went to one of his classes in NYC last year. He is extremely knowledgeable about Citrix and virtualization.

Corey
02-10-2009, 04:10 AM
http://www.brianmadden.com

There are some good resources on there to read up on. I went to one of his classes in NYC last year. He is extremely knowledgeable about Citrix and virtualization.

Thanks I'll have to check that out. I'm going to some Enterasys training in March, I'm sure I can talking him into springing fomr some more classes.

theholycow
02-11-2009, 04:40 PM
How about USB troubleshooting?

USB has worked out a lot better than I thought it would back when it came out. It's very functional and usually works without any effort. However, when it breaks, what can I do? With serial and parallel ports, you could specify the port, memory address, and IRQ and then stuff had to work. With USB, WTF!

I've got two users with wonky USB printer connections. It will work then die randomly. No error is displayed on the printer, and if you unplug it then plug it into a different USB port it works.

stonehenge
02-11-2009, 04:46 PM

USB has worked out a lot better than I thought it would back when it came out. It's very functional and usually works without any effort. However, when it breaks, what can I do? With serial and parallel ports, you could specify the port, memory address, and IRQ and then stuff had to work. With USB, WTF!

I've got two users with wonky USB printer connections. It will work then die randomly. No error is displayed on the printer, and if you unplug it then plug it into a different USB port it works.

buy a new computer and a new printer, should fix any issues :crazy:

Corey
02-11-2009, 08:33 PM

kick it, thats what I always do but it never seems to solve the problem for some reason

theholycow
02-11-2009, 10:08 PM
I'm not sure, but my users might think less of me if I kick their computers...

Maybe if I punch the computer just right, though.
http://digilander.libero.it/happydays/foto_jukebox/fonzie.jpg

stonehenge
02-11-2009, 10:56 PM
I'm not sure, but my users might think less of me if I kick their computers...

Maybe if I punch the computer just right, though.
http://digilander.libero.it/happydays/foto_jukebox/fonzie.jpg

eyyyyyyyyy

theholycow
02-25-2009, 02:51 PM
I need a small portable program that's good for copying lots of files without giving me any bullshit. I would use it to copy whole hard drives or large folders, such as when replacing a user's computer and moving their profile to the new one.

Windows' normal copy will ask you repeatedly if you're sure you want to copy read only / hidden / system files and if you want to overwrite stuff and so on, then if it has a problem copying one file it aborts the whole operation.

Karen's Replicator (http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp) does a really great job -- it copies everything it can without giving me any lip, has exclusion list functionality with a built-in filter for temp files, does a great job totalling the results, and gives you a good log of what it's done so you know what files it couldn't copy. However, it is not portable - you're supposed to install it before you can use it (though it CAN be used portably); but more importantly it requires a bunch of work before you can start copying. You have to wade through dialogs 3 or 4 levels deep to setup a job, save it, schedule (or not) it, and then finally run it.

I'm thinking either something like Karen's Replicator with a simpler front-end that lets me just get on with working (and more portable), or something that looks like Windows Explorer (or Windows 3.1 File Manager, or Norton Commander, or mc, etc) and does the job.

Any suggestions?

theholycow
02-25-2009, 04:30 PM
Ok, found one that's ugly but claims to be exactly what I want...
http://www.ipmsg.org/tools/fastcopy.html.en

stonehenge
02-25-2009, 07:16 PM
robocopy is pretty badass but not sure if its portable

Corey
02-26-2009, 06:48 PM
robocopy is pretty badass but not sure if its portable

Robocopy works great. you could put the resource kit on a thumb drive and just install it to the local computer.

stonehenge
02-26-2009, 08:03 PM
Robocopy works great. you could put the resource kit on a thumb drive and just install it to the local computer.

true dat

theholycow
03-03-2009, 07:36 PM
I know this has got to be a stupid question, but...
I could swear that there's a checkbox / dialog to configure Windows to automatically update its time via NTP, and you could set it to query Microsoft or NIST or whatever. I can't find it on my XP desktop or on my Server 2008 domain controllers/servers!

theholycow
03-03-2009, 08:29 PM
My brain must be seriously fried today. Now I can't remember how I would loop-mount an NTFS image in Windows. I know I've done it a million times.

Corey
03-03-2009, 09:42 PM
I know this has got to be a stupid question, but...
I could swear that there's a checkbox / dialog to configure Windows to automatically update its time via NTP, and you could set it to query Microsoft or NIST or whatever. I can't find it on my XP desktop or on my Server 2008 domain controllers/servers!

I think an update removed that option, but you can configure a GPO to sync domain computers time with you PDC or whatever time server you pick.

theholycow
03-03-2009, 11:55 PM
That would be a lame update. Why would they do that? :(

Corey
03-04-2009, 01:39 AM
I think it was something to do with microsoft taking down their time servers but I'm not 100% on that.

Corey
03-30-2009, 09:35 PM
Anybody have any recommendations on a free or cheap classroom managment software that will work on both windows and linux?

theholycow
03-31-2009, 12:56 AM
http://www.ghacks.net/2009/03/23/create-interactive-classroom-pages-with-courseforum
I don't know if it's any good or even really what it does, but I read ghacks daily and saw it.

There's an open-source alternative to WebCT that my director has talked about, but I don't remember what it's called.

Renegade Pope
03-31-2009, 03:14 AM
Yes.

theholycow
04-28-2009, 08:26 PM
I've got two users' Vista laptops that are running awfully slow, and I can't find anything wrong with them...other than the fact that they're running Vista. WTF.

Shaggy
04-28-2009, 09:59 PM
I've got two users' Vista laptops that are running awfully slow, and I can't find anything wrong with them...other than the fact that they're running Vista. WTF.

How old are thye, how long hav eyou had them? What cleaning programs do you have on the laptops?

theholycow
04-28-2009, 10:53 PM
One appears to be pretty new, the other is old and beat-up. On the newer one I ran Spybot and CCleaner, and manually checked stuff like processes/services that are running and internet explorer add-ons. The older one came in shortly before I posted that and I've been struggling just to get it in a condition to download some programs, its CD-ROM drive is busted and I'm too lazy to use a USB drive...

Shaggy
04-28-2009, 11:32 PM
Get these 2 programs.

I know you probably heard of AVG. If not google avg free and download it.

The other one is Malwayre Bytes http://www.malawarebytes.org

Those, spyhunter and ccleaner is all I use and it works well.

theholycow
04-28-2009, 11:35 PM
I can't be putting AVG on their laptops, I think they've both recently paid for Symantec products...and that's probably the problem right there. Fucking symantec bullshit always slows the hell out of everything.

In the last year or so, AVG has gotten kinda bloated, but it's still better than the other options. I've been trying others for a couple months, none are as good.

I could try malwarebytes but it won't find anything. I'm quite good at manually reviewing running processes...

Shaggy
04-29-2009, 07:42 AM
I can't be putting AVG on their laptops, I think they've both recently paid for Symantec products...and that's probably the problem right there. Fucking symantec bullshit always slows the hell out of everything.

In the last year or so, AVG has gotten kinda bloated, but it's still better than the other options. I've been trying others for a couple months, none are as good.

I could try malwarebytes but it won't find anything. I'm quite good at manually reviewing running processes...

Trust me, MalwareBytes will find something. It always does ;)

Corey
04-30-2009, 10:29 PM
Windows 7 Release Candidate came out today :banana-mario:

stonehenge
04-30-2009, 11:32 PM
4srs!? :D

Renegade Pope
05-01-2009, 12:20 AM
:popcorn:

Shaggy
05-01-2009, 07:19 AM
Windows 7 Release Candidate came out today :banana-mario:

Are you using it yet? I may get one put on my older computer I don't use anymore.

Corey
05-01-2009, 01:53 PM
I got it downloaded but haven't had time to install it yet, I've got Windows 7 beta on a test machine here at work that I'm gonna reload with the release candidate

AaronIROCZ
05-02-2009, 04:13 AM
I am using the beta version and I do like it ALOT better than vista. The 6 year old Gateway Computer runs faster than my 2 year old HP laptop that came with Vista. Go figure!!

stonehenge
05-04-2009, 05:44 PM
I'm pretty sure this will be the next os i BUY

Shaggy
05-05-2009, 01:57 AM
I am using the beta version and I do like it ALOT better than vista. The 6 year old Gateway Computer runs faster than my 2 year old HP laptop that came with Vista. Go figure!!

Damn, I guess I need to get the free 7 and test it out before they start chargin for it.

Corey
05-05-2009, 05:12 AM
Do any of you know of a free program or a way to recover an exchange mailbox from a edb file? I've found some programs but they all are expensive.

theholycow
05-05-2009, 04:07 PM
I could swear I had something for that, but I can't find it now. :(

JayBo
05-05-2009, 04:28 PM
HAllo

stonehenge
05-05-2009, 06:23 PM
o hai jayzon

Shaggy
05-07-2009, 05:01 AM
Do any of you know of a free program or a way to recover an exchange mailbox from a edb file? I've found some programs but they all are expensive.

Not sure, is the drive corrpted or just not working?

Corey
05-08-2009, 04:45 AM
Not sure, is the drive corrpted or just not working?

Server was replaced and they forgot to move a couple mailboxes from the old server and all they had left from it was just a backup of the edb file on an external hard drive. I was able to restore the backup of it and used eseutil to get it to a clean shutdown state and used a test server to mount the database and exmerge to export the mailboxes to pst files.

theholycow
07-28-2009, 07:18 PM
Free Study Guides:

Microsoft
70-631 TS: Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 Configuration
– 29 pages
70-640 TS: Windows Server 2008 Active Directory, Configuration
– 78 pages
70-290 Managing and Maintaining a Server 2003 Environment
– 45 pages

CompTIA
N10-004 CompTIA Network+ – 75 pages

Cisco
640-802 Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)
(Provided as two study guides)
CCNA 640-816 Interconnecting Cisco Networking Devices Part II (ICND2) – 51 pages
CCNA 640-822 Interconnecting Cisco Networking Devices Part 1 (ICND1) – 71 pages

http://download.examforce.com/offers/sg_offer_pkg.zip

Cez★
07-29-2009, 12:12 AM
anyway to lock folders in vista?

theholycow
07-29-2009, 12:20 AM
More detail on "lock"? As in prevent writing to them? Prevent reading from them? Prevent them from being visible?

Cez★
07-29-2009, 01:41 AM
locked as in, I have some stuff in there (media) and dont want people being able to open them

Corey
07-30-2009, 09:00 PM
Well after weeks of studying my ass off I passed my Citrix 1Y0-A05 Implementing Citrix XenApp 5.0 for Windows Server 2008. That was by far the hardest test i've ever taken.

theholycow
09-24-2009, 03:50 PM
I'm troubleshooting a VPN appliance's failure to authenticate against my Active Directory using LDAP. I sniffed some packets and got this:
[email protected].].0FP.......0....h...a...._..1...X80090308: LdapErr: DSID-_0C0903AA, comment: AcceptSecurityContext error, data 525, v1772.

I've reset its account's password twice to no avail. I even tried the domain administrator credentials instead of the appliance's and got the same error. It used to work...

---------- Post added at 10:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 AM ----------

Well, further troubleshooting makes me think that Windows isn't searching through the OU tree like it should. If I specify the complete path in the LDAP query it works, but it doesn't search like it used to. This means I'd have to have the VPN's ldap query user and all VPN users in the same OU.

:wtf:

---------- Post added at 10:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 AM ----------

Ok, fixed it, though I still don't know why it failed. I think it's approximately in the same condition it was before. It will search child OUs for the user who is logging in but not the VPN box's LDAP query credentials...

stonehenge
09-24-2009, 04:25 PM
Damn I have no idea what you are talking about. I know what LDAP, Active Directory, and VPN are, but thats about it :jester:

Cez★
09-29-2009, 06:43 PM
how do i make hidden folders?

2005_Silverado
09-29-2009, 06:46 PM
right click, hide?

edit: right click, propeties, hidden

Cez★
09-29-2009, 06:48 PM
a chingado that easy? lol

2005_Silverado
09-29-2009, 06:51 PM
si :shrug: make sure hidden folders are hidden. Tools, folder options, view, do not show hidden files

:shake:

Cez★
09-29-2009, 06:51 PM

2005_Silverado
09-29-2009, 06:52 PM
big floppy donkey verga :shake:

stonehenge
09-29-2009, 07:37 PM
how do i make hidden folders?
pr0n
big floppy donkey verga :shake:
exactly the kind of thing he's hiding :uhoh:

Cez★
09-29-2009, 07:43 PM
pr0n

exactly the kind of thing he's hiding :uhoh:

you want i should send?? :naughty:

2005_Silverado
09-29-2009, 07:44 PM
i can haz? :shrug:

Cez★
09-29-2009, 07:45 PM
:lol: haz to go home first

2005_Silverado
09-29-2009, 07:48 PM
:fistbump:

stonehenge
09-29-2009, 08:00 PM
Cez, setup an ftp server or something so we can access your BFDV vids

Cez★
09-29-2009, 08:01 PM
lol que

2005_Silverado
09-29-2009, 08:02 PM
yeah brah, I want bfdvv access :imo:

stonehenge
09-29-2009, 08:26 PM
cez, ftp = filez tranzfurr protocolz, you install it and point it to BFDVV folder and then give us the pazzpalabra and then we can haz

Cez★
09-29-2009, 08:30 PM
cez, ftp = filez tranzfurr protocolz, you install it and point it to BFDVV folder and then give us the pazzpalabra and then we can haz

:hmm: will needs walkthrough at casa

theholycow
09-29-2009, 08:39 PM
:lol:

Might be easier to use something like Dropbox (https://www.getdropbox.com/) than trying to setup an FTP server and then trying to convince your router to forward FTP.

Setting the "Hidden" attribute isn't particularly effective, but it's good enough for casual use if nobody who uses your computer knows anything.

stonehenge
09-29-2009, 08:43 PM
Are you connected straight to the modem or are you going into a router with wireless and whatnot?

Edit: rick beat me to it, routers can get crafty

2005_Silverado
09-29-2009, 08:43 PM
i think hes hardwired, he has a desktop if I remember correctly

Cez★
09-29-2009, 08:47 PM
:lol:

Might be easier to use something like Dropbox (https://www.getdropbox.com/) than trying to setup an FTP server and then trying to convince your router to forward FTP.

Setting the "Hidden" attribute isn't particularly effective, but it's good enough for casual use if nobody who uses your computer knows anything.

hows this work? lol

:word:

stonehenge
09-29-2009, 08:48 PM

Even desktops go through a router a lot of times. My desktop goes into my router and then to the modem and into the wall. It's not wireless but it still has to go through the router so that I can also have wireless for the PS3, laptop, etc.

2005_Silverado
09-29-2009, 08:52 PM
ah, true...my modem was wireless, but the desktop was hardwired. If I wanna activate the wall jacks in my house, what would I need? I has ethernet wired all over the house, but my vrz fios box is wireless, the dude didnt mess with my house wires. I wanna hardwire ps3 and the tv.

stonehenge
09-29-2009, 08:56 PM
tv has an ethernet jack!?

2005_Silverado
09-29-2009, 08:57 PM
:secret: LN52A750 can either be wireless (Have to buy wifi dongle) or can be hardwired. I can get RSS feeds (C/L, Weather, CNN, Mobi?) :hump:

stonehenge
09-29-2009, 08:59 PM
wtf interesting

I've never dealt with wall jacks. Is there a room somewhere that they all lead to or something?

theholycow
09-29-2009, 09:00 PM
http://www.ehow.com/how_2091470_computer-ip-address-windows.html

Do that. If your IP address starts with 192.168., 10., or 172.16., you will have difficulty setting up an FTP server. If it does not, it should be easy to setup (but you might want to consider a router/firewall for protection anyway).

2005_Silverado
09-29-2009, 09:00 PM
IDK :( I think they all lead to where my tv cables are. I wanna have both, wifi and hardwired :pissed:

theholycow
09-29-2009, 09:03 PM
Yeah, wall jacks will all run to a central location. On that end there should be a patch panel with a jack to match each wall jack. Plug those cables into a switch/hub/router and then they're all connected to eachother.

stonehenge
09-29-2009, 09:03 PM
Yeah, wall jacks will all run to a central location. On that end there should be a patch panel with a jack to match each wall jack. Plug those cables into a switch/hub/router and then they're all connected to eachother.

Ok, I figured it had to work like that.

2005_Silverado
09-29-2009, 09:09 PM

So all I would technically need is a router/hub and then connect that to my fios box?

theholycow
09-29-2009, 09:15 PM
Yup. It ought to be that simple. There are, of course, a couple possible failures, but any cheap router/firewall (wireless or wired, doesn't matter as long as it has enough jacks) and a few patch cables should get the job done.

2005_Silverado
09-29-2009, 09:16 PM
nice, I'll look into it. :shake:

stonehenge
09-29-2009, 09:26 PM
nice, I'll look into it. :shake:

Only thing to watchout for is if your cables all lead to some closet in the corner of the house, then your wireless will be stuck inside that closet. You might want to add an access point at one of the jacks or something.

2005_Silverado
09-29-2009, 09:31 PM
I think all my cables lead to the garage where my tv cables are. vrz guy installed fios box there too. I seen a port that says router, so I think thats where you feed the hub where all the cables plug into right? Ima take some pics later, cuz Ive been wanting to add that since we moved in. fios box needed a coaxial cable, so we used the kitchen's cable to send signal to my wireless router, so I no have tv signal in kitchen which doesnt matter cuz i no have tv there. The wireless now plugs into that coaxial plug :)

Manbearpig
09-30-2009, 09:15 PM
It eh?
http://content9.flixster.com/photo/11/56/37/11563743_gal.jpg

theholycow
11-17-2009, 10:29 PM
Storage. SAN WTF. Incomplete sentences.

(Warning: IT rant follows. If you don't understand it, it's not because you're stupid.)

I recently found out that all the school's football games have been recorded and stored on the file server. Just for this year they're up to half a terabyte. I found out because the server was full.

A couple years ago we had a consulting company build a major part of our central network. They put together a huge set of Microsoft Active Directory and Exchange systems to bring us into this century. We had been planning on getting a NAS just to give us some network storage, and they laughed at the idea, insisting that we need a SAN. They said that a NAS is for gringos estupidos, not the large professional organization we're trying to be.

So, instead of spending that money the way we planned, we pushed it through them and let them get us into the SAN they said we need. It was....a whole lot of money. A real lot. Until now it's always had plenty of space for everything we could possibly need it for; 4TB is a lot.

So now I'm looking at this football video issue. Having forgotten just how large our SAN is, I thought maybe I could allocate some of its space for the job. However, I think we'll need to expand it next year if we use it like that. Well whaddya know, all that money and it can't be expanded! I suppose maybe it could be rebuilt by replacing ALL its drives and then configuring it as if it was new, but we can't take it down to do that.

In the meantime, for a fraction of the price (granted it's a year and a half later now), I can get a 4TB NAS that can simultaneously work in SAN mode too.

WTF does a SAN do for me, then? WTF difference is there, besides the purchase price, the fact that I'm not qualified to configure it or otherwise work on it without being on the phone with tech support (at least the tech support is great), and the cost of the service contract? It can use iSCSI networking....whoop-de-doo.

I'm not wasting ridiculously expensive SAN space for these jocks' videos. Looks like we're getting a NAS, or maybe I'll just hook up some more drives for our file server.

stonehenge
11-17-2009, 10:46 PM
props for "gringos estupidos" :mexipatriot:

What exactly is the SAN? A server with a couple raids? Connected via fiber maybe?

theholycow
11-18-2009, 12:37 AM
SAN stands for Storage Area Network. It is a big box of RAID-configured hard drives that connects to servers using iSCSI, a protocol that (as I understand) is approximately a combination of SCSI and gigabit ethernet that gives multiple servers direct control of the volumes on the SAN.

NAS is Network Attached Storage. It's a file server that you don't have to install the OS on, basically. Some have very small embedded OS and only deal in storage, some have a full server OS (mostly Linux-based but there's a couple running Windows Server) and can do some other things.

stonehenge
11-18-2009, 06:30 AM
Whenever we need more storage we just buy a server with lots of bays in it and a raid card :shrug:

get a SATABeast :jester:

theholycow
11-18-2009, 12:14 PM
Yeah, I was thinking of just adding drives to one of our servers or getting another server.

stonehenge
11-18-2009, 03:01 PM
just buy like 20 external flash drives and hook them up in all your usb ports

JayBo
11-18-2009, 03:04 PM
I think I have a workstation with a dead HD..won't go completely through POST. Never gets past the splash screen really

stonehenge
11-18-2009, 03:11 PM
It should get through POST and get stuck when it goes to boot from the drive, may be something other than the HD :(

try pulling the HD, wouldn't it boot up and say no disk found? should tell you if its the drive if it passes POST/splash without one.

JayBo
11-18-2009, 03:22 PM
Only reason I immediately guessed HD is we had one do something very similar the other day and thats what it turned out to me. I'ma go to the server room and pull the hd cable..

stonehenge
11-18-2009, 03:27 PM
these damn computers :nono: i love them but sometimes I wish I could kill them all

JayBo
11-18-2009, 03:50 PM
Well removing HD cable did nothing. Removed RAM and cleaned it and the slot and tried again. Nothing.

---------- Post added at 09:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 AM ----------

It's not even passing the BIOS screen.
Damn dell optiplex 320 :mad:

theholycow
11-18-2009, 03:57 PM
<mode=Bon Jovi>
That box has got bad motherboard
bad motherboard is what's it's got
oh whoa ho fix it up it's got
bad motherboard
</mode>

JayBo
11-18-2009, 04:04 PM
Kinda sounds like it. It boots up to the part where it gives you F2 or F12 options, freezes and sits for days. Not eve far enough to let me use the keyboard or mouse as there only usb and thats the only kind you can use on this machine. It's a SFF

stonehenge
11-18-2009, 04:22 PM
you could also try removing/replacing the CMOS battery. Sometimes when they take shits it can fuck up the whole thing lol

theholycow
11-18-2009, 04:28 PM
Good point...CMOS could have some messed up settings, though usually anything like that would time out after no more than 10 minutes.

stonehenge
11-18-2009, 04:29 PM
Yeah most likely its the motherboard, but what the hell. Pull the battery for like 10 mins, put it back in, see if it boots. If not :shrug:

JayBo
11-18-2009, 04:59 PM
Already done that. Even changed the jumper to clear the CMOS settings.

theholycow
11-18-2009, 05:08 PM
Last resort: Disconnect everything, leaving just keyboard, video card, and monitor; see if it's responsive. Then try plugging in a different power supply and replacing that video card.

Edit: By "everything" I mean including all drives and such.

JayBo
11-18-2009, 05:31 PM
Ok I'm a dumbass.

We have the monitor hooked up to a KVM switch....if you hook the keyboard/mouse directly into the machine it boots fine. :facepalm:

theholycow
11-18-2009, 05:43 PM
:lol: Better to be a dumbass having made that mistake than to have to replace the system. :imo

stonehenge
11-18-2009, 05:55 PM
:word: at least you figured it out. That's not a dumbass move anyway, who'd think that the kvm would be killing it!?

theholycow
11-18-2009, 06:00 PM
I have a terminal server that needs to be rebooted, but I never catch it when there's no users connected...I have to try late-night or something...

stonehenge
11-18-2009, 06:03 PM
fuck them, hold that power button down

theholycow
11-18-2009, 06:51 PM
We have an intern. He's a good kid, smart, great at figuring stuff out...but he totally has no command line experience. I'm teaching him Linux and it's driving me nuts watching him try to cd to a file or cd /directoryname to a directory that's not in /.

JayBo
11-18-2009, 06:51 PM
UNIX ftw

:lol: don't kill me

theholycow
11-18-2009, 06:55 PM
I'm vendor-agnostic. Most of my *nix experience is with a large variety of Linux distributions but I've spent some time in AIX too.

stonehenge
We have an intern. He's a good kid, smart, great at figuring stuff out...but he totally has no command line experience. I'm teaching him Linux and it's driving me nuts watching him try to cd to a file or cd /directoryname to a directory that's not in /.

:jester: i had very little when I first started working here in one of the side departments. I installed a few different linux distros and played around with them and now I have enough to get by and do most of the basics as well as the stuff I need to do daily.

Try teaching him how to use vi, he'll want to use the mouse.

theholycow
Yeah, I showed him vi. I also showed him how to install joe so he doesn't have to use vi.

stonehenge
11-18-2009, 07:00 PM
never used joe. I tried pico before and it works pretty well and is a little more GUI-like with mouse functions and whatnot, but when I got here the server guy here is a VI-whore and its the only thing installed on EVERY machine so I learned it really quick lol

theholycow
11-18-2009, 07:06 PM
vi FTL.

Joe is like Wordstar from back in the days of CP/M and DOS 3.3. I used Wordstar on a laptop that ran CP/M, used C batteries, didn't have a hard drive or boot from a floppy, instead it booted and ran software from ROM cartridges almost like a video game. I think it had some NVRAM for storing files or something, I don't remember.

One day in biology class the room was getting smoky and I realized that it was emanating from my backpack. That was the end of that laptop.

stonehenge
11-18-2009, 07:11 PM
:jester: poor lappytawpz

---------- Post added at 11:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 AM ----------

I've got used to vi, I kinda like it now lol but the learning curve kinda sucks and I still don't know all the shortcuts.

theholycow
11-19-2009, 02:56 PM
http://www.ciscoblog.com/docstore/ErrorCode.jpg

stonehenge
11-19-2009, 02:57 PM
:roflmao:

FAIL due to WIN

JayBo
11-19-2009, 03:18 PM
I'm ghosting the HD in that machine from yesterday. All tests passed, but I figured WTF. I had some extra new hd's around and 160gb > 80gb anyway.

theholycow
11-19-2009, 07:51 PM
http://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/image7.png

That doesn't look particularly bad, does it?

Now imagine that the "Restart" button is greyed out because you're a non-administrator user logged in to a terminal server.

Fucking shit. That terminal server has constant users - I haven't had a chance to reboot it in two weeks. That means that for two weeks, users have been getting that annoying fucker and NOBODY has reported it.

I only found out because I logged in as a regular user to test a survey I was putting on it to find out if users are happy with it or not. :headpalm:

stonehenge
11-19-2009, 07:59 PM
Survey no longer necessary imo

Ed4x4
11-20-2009, 04:43 AM
Maybe one of you guys can help me out.

I've got windows vista (the worst idea windows has had) and my computer took a shit last week. I've been running it in safe mode to get by, doing my work. I tried reinstalling vista today, and it went good for a while. reinstalled it, started adding all my drivers back. Had to restart for them to take affect. Well after the restart and boot up, I get the same problem I had before. It boots up all the way to the profile login. I login, and it sits at the "Welcome" screen for however long I let it set before I get pissed and turn it off.

Anyone know the fix? Im reinstalling vista again, one more time. And then I'll have to add all the drivers again. Hopefully this fixes it, but I have a feeling it wont.

Corey
11-20-2009, 05:03 AM
http://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/image7.png

That doesn't look particularly bad, does it?

Now imagine that the "Restart" button is greyed out because you're a non-administrator user logged in to a terminal server.

Fucking shit. That terminal server has constant users - I haven't had a chance to reboot it in two weeks. That means that for two weeks, users have been getting that annoying fucker and NOBODY has reported it.

I only found out because I logged in as a regular user to test a survey I was putting on it to find out if users are happy with it or not. :headpalm:

shutdown /r /t 5 /f /d p:0:0

put that in a .bat file and set a scheduled task to run it at 3 AM

theholycow
11-20-2009, 01:09 PM
Anyone know the fix? Im reinstalling vista again, one more time. And then I'll have to add all the drivers again. Hopefully this fixes it, but I have a feeling it wont.

Boot in safe mode. Find "Command Prompt" in the start menu. Right-click it and run as administrator. Enter
sfc /scannow
at the command line. That ought to fix it.

If that doesn't work, boot in safe mode again and run msconfig from the command line (or from "Run" if your start menu has that option). Select "Diagnostic Startup" and see if it boots in normal mode after that. If so, run it again and choose "Selective Startup" and go through it enabling some stuff. Use process of elimination to figure out which startup item is failing.

A new feature that arrived with Vista is Startup Repair.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Startup-Repair-frequently-asked-questions
I wouldn't count on it working but it's worth a try.

shutdown /r /t 5 /f /d p:0:0

put that in a .bat file and set a scheduled task to run it at 3 AM

I was thinking of doing that, but I'm afraid there might be a user logged on even then.

---------- Post added at 07:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 AM ----------

Ok, at 6:55am just check it from home and nobody was on so I rebooted.

I don't like to reboot automatically/unattended in case something goes wrong.

theholycow
11-25-2009, 03:59 PM
We have a 40GB drive for student home folders on our network. One student has used 35GB for dumping his camera's pictures and videos. I guess we should have put in quotas. :facepalm:

Cez★
11-25-2009, 04:03 PM
delete them :crazy:

theholycow
11-25-2009, 04:16 PM
Deleting now. Apparently the student dropped out.

Cez★
11-25-2009, 04:16 PM
loser :rofl:

stonehenge
11-25-2009, 04:18 PM
Email that SOB and tell him that the system only allows so many GB (make shit up) so he must get the images off of the server before such and such a date or they'll have to be deleted.

Tell that lil shit to buy an external if he plans on storing that much crap.

Oh ya and are they personal photos or school related? If personal GTFO

---------- Post added at 08:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 AM ----------

Oh even better :pepper:

theholycow
11-25-2009, 04:23 PM
Yeah, I think it was all personal.

stonehenge
11-25-2009, 04:26 PM
I hope to some day haz the power to be like:
Hey asshole, your pics were taking up too much room, I deleted that shit. Needed them? Too bad. Want them back? They're gone. Don't like it? GTFO

-IT Brah

theholycow
11-25-2009, 05:14 PM
:lol: TBH, I actually moved them somewhere else just in case he ever comes looking for them...

stonehenge
11-25-2009, 05:17 PM
We do that kinda stuff all the time unfortunately :rofl2:

A few months ago I got a request from a department head to delete a bunch of accounts "here is the list, i want them all deleted" so I said "ok, you have looked them over and its DEFINITELY okay to get rid of them?" and of course "yes, get rid of them"

so I disable them instead of deleting them and the next day all hell breaks loose

"ZOMG I CAN'T LOG IN, WHY WAS MY ACCOUNT DELETED!?"

"ehhh your department head told me to"

after I told that to a few people she comes to me

"Why did you delete those peoples accounts?"
"They were on the list that you 'verified' and gave me..."
"Well I don't know how they got on there, can you bring them back!?!?"

:fp:

theholycow
11-30-2009, 06:17 PM
We have a professor who wants to run Linux on his company-supplied desktop PC on our network. I'm a big Linux fan, but for a number of reasons we can't allow that. He once messed up his partition table trying to install Linux on it and we've been watching him ever since.

We have an intern who belongs to that professor's department. The guy just assigned our intern to write a paper about how to join a Linux box to our Windows domain. :nono:

theholycow
12-02-2009, 06:52 PM
:rofl2:
http://linuxmafia.com/pub/humour/traffic_ticket_large.gif

2005_Silverado
12-04-2009, 04:42 AM
so u guys might remember I asked about wiring my house and what I would need. I took a pic of what Ive got and maybe you guys can tell me what I need?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/eddiefromcali/CIMG0771.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/eddiefromcali/CIMG0773.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/eddiefromcali/CIMG0774.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/eddiefromcali/CIMG0775.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/eddiefromcali/CIMG0776.jpg

stonehenge
12-04-2009, 06:28 AM
Not sure but I'd imagine your internet connection (from the modem or wifi router) should go into the "Ethernet Hub Jack" in the first 2 pics. The other box with a shitload of cables probably just splits the connections between the rooms.

But I srsly have 0 experience with pre-installed home networks :shrug:

theholycow
12-07-2009, 05:24 PM
A user just came in with a laptop saying his dog spilled water on it.

Now I'm opening up a laptop with wet dog hair all inside it. :puke:

stonehenge
12-07-2009, 05:39 PM
fuck that :nono:

JayBo
12-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Instant $100 extra

stonehenge
12-07-2009, 05:45 PM
I love that we have a "no personal machines" policy here but some do have work laptops :blah: they can be pretty nasty sometimes. When I see some of their machines I am dumbfounded, I could NEVER treat my computer like some of them do lol

JayBo
12-07-2009, 05:50 PM
I dropped mine from about 5 ft the other day. My dad was like "OHNO!!!!"

I picked it up and kept using it. lol. Its pretty tough

stonehenge
12-07-2009, 05:52 PM
Oh yeah drops and even spills will sometimes just happen. I'm talking about getting someones laptop and it is crusted with dirt where the hand rests (not worn off, thats normal, but actual crustyness) and there are crumbs all in the keys and fingerprints ALL over the screen and some sort of unknown fluid (jiz?) on the outside of it.

I mean damn, just wipe your shit off from time to time :nono:

theholycow
12-07-2009, 06:16 PM
Oh yeah drops and even spills will sometimes just happen. I'm talking about getting someones laptop and it is crusted with dirt where the hand rests (not worn off, thats normal, but actual crustyness) and there are crumbs all in the keys and fingerprints ALL over the screen and some sort of unknown fluid (jiz?) on the outside of it.

I mean damn, just wipe your shit off from time to time :nono:

My dad's steering wheel gets the dirt thing too. It gets really thick and nasty. After a couple hundred thousand miles he put a cover on it because it wouldn't clean off.

theholycow
12-16-2009, 03:01 PM
Ok, question....What the motherfucking fuck is the deal with tape backups? Why do they continue to exist?

A 200GB AIT-4 tape, just the media not the drive, costs $50. I can get hard drives that are just as reliable for long-term storage, faster, and offer random acess, for less. I could have twice as many backups for the same price.

Why do tapes continue to exist? Why did I allow the consultant to sell us a robotic tape library drive that cost god know how much and a pile of tapes costing twice as much as an equivalent quantity of hard drive?

And then, on top of that, tapes are a pain in the ass. Gotta clean the drive. The backup program doesn't want to overwrite this tape, or doesn't think that tape is ready, or it thinks the other tape is full.

stonehenge
12-16-2009, 03:09 PM
I hate tapes. Not sure why we still use them either. They are annoying, bulky, slow, stupid, ugly, caca headed, expensive, and stupid. We have 2 working libraries right now, one that died, and a couple really old ones sitting on the floor. I wish we'd get rid of them all. :blah:

Corey
12-16-2009, 03:29 PM
I hate tape backups. We just about have all our customers moved to either external hard drive backup or backup servers. It has cut down on how much time we spend troubleshooting or fixing backups. Using tape backup now days is like still using floppy drives.

SarkOzy
12-16-2009, 03:51 PM
We have a 40GB drive for student home folders on our network. One student has used 35GB for dumping his camera's pictures and videos. I guess we should have put in quotas. :facepalm:

n00dz?

I feel like I'm becoming the IT guy for this side of the facility. May have jesty stories in the near future. :roflmao:

theholycow
12-16-2009, 03:57 PM
Using tape backup now days is like still using floppy drives.

That's what I thought, but I trusted the consulting company...they've been great, mostly.

n00dz?

:uhoh: I think it was a dude. Not sure, our usernames don't include the whole first name...

stonehenge
12-16-2009, 04:10 PM
Yeah they are old as shit but still widely used. We were talking to this guy about a research project and a grant he wanted to get that included technology fundz. He wanted like 200TB of space (:whoa:) for lots of shit. We eventually talked him into something smaller but the point is, my boss planned to get him two servers that are essentially clones of each other and then a tape library to backup the whole thing. :uhoh: fuck that

theholycow
12-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Let me just reiterate: Fuck tapes.

200TB? Fuck, that'd be about $20,000 of disks for each server and $200,000 of tapes/tape drives.

---------- Post added at 11:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

Fuck tapes.

...and fuck Symantec BackupExec. It's almost as bad as Symantec antivirus.

stonehenge
12-16-2009, 05:51 PM
Apparently the Linux version is pretty nice but the Windows version is a POFS

theholycow
12-16-2009, 05:52 PM
If the Linux version could access MS Exchange, that would be win.

stonehenge
12-16-2009, 06:10 PM
damn william g8z

SarkOzy
12-16-2009, 08:06 PM
IT gaiz............

I feel estupid trying to figure this out. I'm uploading a video(private LLC stuff) to my ftp database.......I want to give a customer a link to download it. I can't just link directly to the ftp location.........how do I do this?

theholycow
12-16-2009, 08:12 PM
You can link directly to an FTP location.

ftp://username:[email protected]/directory/directory/filename.ext

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

If you skip the username:Password@ portion of it then the user's browser will try to login anonymous. If you skip the :Password but leave username@ then the user's browser will prompt for the password.

SarkOzy
12-16-2009, 08:13 PM
I know that.............but I don't want that information visible in the link.

theholycow
12-16-2009, 08:16 PM
What information do you want to hide?

SarkOzy
12-16-2009, 08:22 PM
Username/password

hang on a sec

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

I got it. Saved it to my \images folder an copied a link to it. I don't know how to make it stream in the browser. Quicktime file btw. Works for now.

theholycow
12-16-2009, 08:22 PM
You can't give someone a link to use an account that's protected by username and password, without giving the username and password. That's the entire point of having a username and password.

Put the file somewhere publicly accessible or create an account for the user.

SarkOzy
12-16-2009, 08:26 PM
You can't give someone a link to use an account that's protected by username and password, without giving the username and password. That's the entire point of having a username and password.

Put the file somewhere publicly accessible or create an account for the user.

PUblic is a no-no. Our competitors would love that. I like the idea of just linking to the file from my web site. They can download it and ra ra rah.

stonehenge
12-16-2009, 08:28 PM
Wouldn't that be public or is your website passworded?

SarkOzy
12-16-2009, 08:33 PM
Yes and no. It's public in a sense that it's able to be downloaded by anyone, private in a sense that I can squirrel it away in a hidden folder and provide a link to it through our web address.

---------- Post added at 02:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 PM ----------

IE- you won't find it on teh site.

stonehenge
12-16-2009, 08:36 PM
just link to the ftp with username only and email your homies the password???

theholycow
12-16-2009, 08:37 PM
OIC. You may be able to hide a folder by naming it with a leading period. So "folder" becomes ".folder".

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 PM ----------

Is the server Linux?

stonehenge
12-16-2009, 08:37 PM
personally i'd use .htaccess but i don't know how to set that up on windows, i've only done it via linux

SarkOzy
12-16-2009, 08:46 PM
just link to the ftp with username only and email your homies the password???

Nada. Don't want them digging through my shit. :gayfight:

OIC. You may be able to hide a folder by naming it with a leading period. So "folder" becomes ".folder".

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 PM ----------

Is the server Linux?

Windows Server 2000 :patriot:

stonehenge
12-16-2009, 08:48 PM
Nada. Don't want them digging through my shit. :gayfight:

create a second, ghetto account and put it in there?

theholycow
12-16-2009, 08:49 PM
I don't know how to do it on Windows. Possibly with NTFS file permissions make it not visible but still accessible.

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 PM ----------

SarkOzy
12-16-2009, 08:53 PM

Possibly. It's not needed in-house since I have a separate data server for our internal docs. Something like this may come up once in a blue moon though.

---------- Post added at 02:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

Use Windchill for that stuff.

http://www.ptc.com/products/windchill/

stonehenge
12-16-2009, 08:55 PM
Then can't you edit the permissions on the folder that has your secret goodies in it? Right click it, change the permissions to allow your account full access and theirs read only and remove "Everyone" from it?

Dunno I could have told you how to do this mad quick if it was a linux server lol

SarkOzy
12-16-2009, 09:01 PM
:hmm:

theholycow
12-16-2009, 09:03 PM
:word: Piece of cake on Linux.

BillyJeanKing
12-16-2009, 09:08 PM
THC, i haz problem

i just shut off the power to my comp and now when i turn it on i get the "wee pologize for the inconvenience, but windows did not start normally" message

I tried to do the repair thing where you insert the XP disc and tap F12 ad select IDE CD-ROM when u startup the comp....but it takes me back to the same message

:pissed:

stonehenge
12-16-2009, 09:12 PM
you get that message but then it boots into windows anyway right?

BillyJeanKing
12-16-2009, 09:14 PM
yep.....but back to the message every time

stonehenge
12-16-2009, 09:15 PM
Every every time? Even if you shut down normally?

BillyJeanKing
12-16-2009, 09:19 PM
yep

i turn on the comp it shows the windows logo then the dell logo, then the message

---------- Post added at 03:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 PM ----------

and the comp can't really be turned off normally

i have to press and hold the power button

stonehenge
12-16-2009, 09:21 PM
This is where I get lazy and as long as it boots up every time I just ignore it :rofl2: THC can probably help you more.

Is it the screen that asks you to pick an option like "Last Good Configuration" or whatever?

BillyJeanKing
12-16-2009, 09:22 PM
yep its that screen

theholycow
12-16-2009, 09:25 PM
Every every time? Even if you shut down normally?

yep

You're gonna hafta fix that before you get normal booting again.

What happens if you try to turn it off normally?

stonehenge
12-16-2009, 09:27 PM

fuckin anti double post son of a bitch made me miss this part :pissedfist:

You're gonna hafta fix that before you get normal booting again.

What happens if you try to turn it off normally?

:word: the reason you get the message is because windows isn't shutting down completely, you are killing it with the power button

BillyJeanKing
12-16-2009, 09:32 PM
:pissed:

so, how does i fix it?

stonehenge
12-16-2009, 09:33 PM
Close your eyes when that message comes up, open them after its gone :thumbsup:

BillyJeanKing
12-16-2009, 09:34 PM
:fistbump:

theholycow
12-16-2009, 09:35 PM
Well, tell us why you have to hold the power button instead of a proper shut down.

BillyJeanKing
12-16-2009, 09:37 PM
sometimes the comp freezes and its a no go on normal shut down

stonehenge
12-16-2009, 09:39 PM
how long have you had it? have you ever reinstalled windows?

BillyJeanKing
12-16-2009, 09:41 PM
like 4 years

and a couple times

Cez★
12-16-2009, 09:41 PM
virus

BillyJeanKing
12-16-2009, 09:44 PM
don't think its a virus

Cez★
12-16-2009, 09:48 PM
run on safe mode.

just kidding, im just talking out me ass. dont take my advice

theholycow
12-16-2009, 09:49 PM
Windows XP SP3?

stonehenge
12-16-2009, 09:53 PM
Whenever I get stumped, I ask Cez for IT advize

BillyJeanKing
12-16-2009, 09:53 PM
what the hell is SP3

service pack?

theholycow
12-16-2009, 09:57 PM
Yes, service pack. Right-click My Computer, click Properties, it'll tell you exact version and SP info.

Windows 98 used to have lots of shutdown freezing, an update fixed it. I think XP has had a few similar problems.

BillyJeanKing
12-16-2009, 10:00 PM
i can't get to the desktop to right click anything

i'm stuck at the opening sequence

Cez★
12-16-2009, 10:04 PM
safe mode

stonehenge
12-16-2009, 10:05 PM
wtf i thought you said it would boot fine after that message passed??

theholycow
12-16-2009, 10:07 PM
:headpalm:

---------- Post added at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

Boot in safe mode. Click Start. Click run. Type sfc /scannow and click ok. Be ready with your Windows XP CD.

---------- Post added at 04:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

It'll take a long time to run.

Cez★
Cez shoots and scores.

BillyJeanKing
wtf i thought you said it would boot fine after that message passed??

lol

it did in the past but now its just, windows logo, dell logo, the message then repeat

stonehenge
12-16-2009, 10:10 PM
try safe mode and see if it will let you get in or if its fubar

BillyJeanKing
12-16-2009, 10:11 PM
:headpalm:

---------- Post added at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

Boot in safe mode. Click Start. Click run. Type sfc /scannow and click ok. Be ready with your Windows XP CD.

---------- Post added at 04:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

It'll take a long time to run.

ok....thats where i see the options:

Safe mode
Safe Mode with networking
Safe mode with command prompt

theholycow
12-16-2009, 10:12 PM
If you can't get into safe mode to run sfc /scannow, boot from the windows CD and do a repair install.

If you can't boot from the windows CD....umm....that would suck.

BillyJeanKing
12-16-2009, 10:21 PM
well it sucks because i can't boot from the cd

---------- Post added at 04:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 PM ----------

ok...i'm typing all of this on my little brothers netbook

But i think i'm on to something

will report back with results :uhoh:

L8R

theholycow
12-16-2009, 10:22 PM
Is the CD a Microsoft Windows XP install CD, or is it something with the computer manufacturer's brand name on it?

stonehenge
12-16-2009, 10:22 PM
well it sucks because i can't boot from the cd

---------- Post added at 04:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 PM ----------

ok...i'm typing all of this on my little brothers netbook

But i think i'm on to something

will report back with results :uhoh:

L8R

Hopefully your at BestBuy.com or something ordering a new computer :jester:

BillyJeanKing
12-16-2009, 11:49 PM
FYI, you guys were no help :D

I used method 2 on this site:

http://www.simplehelp.net/2008/10/27/how-to-fix-the-we-apologize-for-the-inconvenience-but-windows-did-not-start-successfully-error/

My top disc drive was stuck and i had to pry it open with a butter knife to get the CD in. After that the CD started up and i repaired my POS computer

:thewave:

stonehenge
12-16-2009, 11:50 PM
rofl

BillyJeanKing
12-16-2009, 11:52 PM
:big_banana_Dance:

theholycow
12-17-2009, 01:07 AM
FYI, you guys were no help :D

I used method 2 on this site:

http://www.simplehelp.net/2008/10/27/how-to-fix-the-we-apologize-for-the-inconvenience-but-windows-did-not-start-successfully-error/
:read:
If you can't get into safe mode to run sfc /scannow, boot from the windows CD and do a repair install.

If you can't boot from the windows CD....umm....that would suck.

My top disc drive was stuck and i had to pry it open with a butter knife to get the CD in. After that the CD started up and i repaired my POS computer
:headpalm: You said that it wouldn't boot from the CD earlier, implying that you managed to get the CD into the drive...

BillyJeanKing
12-17-2009, 01:09 AM
:headpalm: You said that it wouldn't boot from the CD earlier, implying that you managed to get the CD into the drive...

I haz two

a top and bottom thingy

I had it in the bottom one

the thing is i remember it working in both trays so it didn't really matter, at least i thought

theholycow
12-31-2009, 06:22 PM
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/computers

stonehenge
01-01-2010, 12:50 AM
:rofl2: you have opened the door to many lulz:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/zombie_how

BillyJeanKing
01-20-2010, 03:57 PM
THC go to this site, register and see if you can use the chat room. The link for it is at the top highlighted in yellow

http://www.daytrader.com/forums/

---------- Post added at 09:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 AM ----------

O and you gaiz should register too

learn a little about stock trading

theholycow
01-20-2010, 03:57 PM
[09:55] Connecting...
[09:56] Unable to connect : java.net.ConnectException : Connection timed out: connect

Nope. Probably a badly written java applet, though it could be network issues. IRC can really be a pain in the butt because a lot of IRC servers insist on using identd to authenticate clients...but identd is incredibly obsolete and not very compatible with modern NAT networks, as well as not running on anybody's computer to begin with.

BillyJeanKing
01-20-2010, 03:58 PM
thanks gai :handshake:

I thought it was just me

theholycow
01-20-2010, 04:05 PM
Windows XP SP3. USB drives (flash drives, hard drives, NTFS, FAT32, EXT3 (using appropriate driver)) work properly and are accessible, except through Windows Explorer (My Computer, etc). The Open/Save dialog in most applications can access it. A DOS prompt can access it. A Windows Explorer replacement like Explorer++ can access it. It doesn't show up in Windows Explorer/My Computer, and if I type in the drive letter (like "G:") it says "Cannot find file:///G:/, make sure the path or internet address is correct". Any ideas?

stonehenge
01-20-2010, 04:18 PM
Totally separate topic for other IT gaiz:

Windows XP SP3. USB drives (flash drives, hard drives, NTFS, FAT32, EXT3 (using appropriate driver)) work properly and are accessible, except through Windows Explorer (My Computer, etc). The Open/Save dialog in most applications can access it. A DOS prompt can access it. A Windows Explorer replacement like Explorer++ can access it. It doesn't show up in Windows Explorer/My Computer, and if I type in the drive letter (like "G:") it says "Cannot find file:///G:/, make sure the path or internet address is correct". Any ideas?

well thats a first. For me they are usually visible to all or none. Makes me think maybe some of those "bad" drives weren't so bad after all :eek2:

BillyJeanKing
01-20-2010, 07:29 PM
Chat room be fixed

2005_Silverado
01-21-2010, 01:08 AM
nice

BillyJeanKing
01-21-2010, 01:53 AM
nice

:D :handshake:

stonehenge
01-21-2010, 06:03 PM
Kinda random but do any of you IT gaiz have any sort of scheduling system running at your places? I'm talking about something that would show who is at work on what days, who is out sick, who is on vacation, etc. It doesn't have to sync to people calendars and shit, it would be completely separate. It is really just to see who is here and who isn't.

Each user should be able to login and modify THEIR time. Like if I'm taking the day off, I put the hours in and add it to the schedule. Also would help if an admin or mod of some sort could edit it also. (example, someone calls in sick and can't update the calendar themselves, admin woman can do it).

I'd prefer some sort of thing I can install on a server and everyone can access from their browser.

I know its a long shot but figured I'd see if you guys had any ideas.

2005_Silverado
01-21-2010, 06:25 PM
we use outlook calendar.

---------- Post added at 09:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 AM ----------

btw....iz no IT gai...but I figured I could help even if ur question was not directed at me :blah:

---------- Post added at 09:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 AM ----------

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/eddiefromcali/outlook.jpg

stonehenge
01-21-2010, 06:32 PM
Flex Day!? It's EOMO :imo :talocoflexday:

Many here are fairly anti-MS but I'll definitely check it out :shake: