PDA

View Full Version : IT Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

theholycow
08-21-2013, 11:38 PM
:macfp:

theholycow
08-25-2013, 02:29 AM
How do I secure Firefox for an average user? I'm putting together a computer for my sister and I think she'll want Firefox but it's not naturally unargeted secure like it used to be. Her old computer has a virus and I bet it was thanks to Firefox.

stonehenge
08-25-2013, 08:02 AM
by default it should block pop-ups and warn of malicious sites, what else do you want to block?

i only fuck with servers so I don't setup user machines :/

theholycow
08-25-2013, 12:52 PM
i only fuck with servers so I don't setup user machines :/

:word:

These days Firefox seems to be the biggest target, like IE used to be. Firefox users seem to be the most often infected. I'm not sure what else besides pop-up blocking and server-pushed blacklisting is needed...that's why I asked.

stonehenge
08-25-2013, 06:05 PM
Edit hosts file to block everything except pbskids.org

theholycow
08-26-2013, 02:05 AM
Spybot S&D's immunization does a nice job with the hosts file, actually. :D

theholycow
09-02-2013, 03:20 PM
http://cdn.dottech.org/media/2013/08/2013-08-31_052253.png

stonehenge
09-02-2013, 06:09 PM
:jester: auto-noodz

JayBo
09-05-2013, 01:40 PM
Ok. Heres a question I should know the answer to already. But I'm going to ask anyhow.

HEre at the school I have 3 servers under my domain.

I have a 10mbps VLS circuit connecting the school to the BOE office about 1/4 mile down the road. Maybe a bit farther.
At this location, there is another server that houses the accounting software. It also is the server that they log in to b/c they were on a totally seperate network up until recently. That server is under a DIFFERENT DOmain.

Question is, I need for a user to be able to log in here at the school, and access the software that is housed over at the BOE office.

I know it's a security Issue b/c It won't let me access and I'm sure it's becuase I"m not actually logging into the machine that is there at the BOE. My PDC here at the school is authenticating us. So how would one accomplish such a feat without joining the BOE domain here at the school? I thought about making that server a BDC or even just demoting it but with it housing the accounting software that kinda frightens me.

stonehenge
09-05-2013, 02:00 PM
so the accounting software is actually installed on the second server? do they use a web interface, remote/terminal, or what? Is it just a db on a share and the software is on their computer?

JayBo
09-05-2013, 02:07 PM
No web interface. its all old school looking shit.
They are running programs housed in diff folders that are shared on that server. That shit is METICULOUS as hell to set up because everything has to be in it's certain place, shared under a certain name/way and all that.

---------- Post added at 09:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 AM ----------

But software is housed on the server, they are just opening the interface on their workstations.

stonehenge
09-05-2013, 02:56 PM
interesting

so just mapping the shared folders on a box that is on the other domain doesn't work?

JayBo
09-05-2013, 03:16 PM
'tis funny b/c it won't let me connect to the server on the other domain.
will post msg.

---------- Post added at 10:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 AM ----------

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a342/jceverett/ScreenHunter_01Sep051018_zps47379fd7.gif (http://s14.photobucket.com/user/jceverett/media/ScreenHunter_01Sep051018_zps47379fd7.gif.html)

---------- Post added at 10:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 AM ----------

keep in mind that machine is on webster_co_boe domain.
I'm on Webster or Webster.k12.ga.us domain

stonehenge
09-05-2013, 03:25 PM
Try mapping it as a drive and use credentials for the other domain.

---------- Post added at 07:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 AM ----------

That may break the software because it won't be at \\accounting but its worth a try

JayBo
09-05-2013, 03:51 PM
inside accounting there is 2 shared folders. which each have 1 program that must be run.

stonehenge
09-05-2013, 04:06 PM
did you try mapping it as a drive with credentials from your second domain?

theholycow
09-05-2013, 06:04 PM
Setup domain trust (google Active Directory Domain Trust). Give permissions for other domain's user on server.

JayBo
09-05-2013, 07:07 PM
I believe I set up a trust. let's test it

stonehenge
09-12-2013, 01:19 AM
I'll just put this here:

- Hit the Windows key, type “gpedit.msc” and hit enter.
- Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installations
- Enable that

Because fuck the auto-reboot on W8 when you're trying to do something.

Chevrolet Fanatic
09-12-2013, 01:50 AM
Hey guys when I make my business cards do you think I should put my prices that I charge on the back of them? I thought it may save me the trouble of people arguing about prices or calling, discussing a problem, and then saying they are too much when they finally find out what the prices are.

theholycow
09-12-2013, 02:15 AM
:ralphno:

Mr.Rogers
09-12-2013, 02:25 AM
I dunno nailz sounds a bit unprofessional also what if u end up needing to charge more than what u put on le card and be like fuuuuuuuuu
Just quote the foos or charge per hourz

I am on a note bish :security:

Chevrolet Fanatic
09-12-2013, 04:10 AM
Well ok then lol, so much for that idea.

---------- Post added at 11:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 PM ----------

I know a business card is supposed to be minimalist, I went to a college known for it's business classes, so believe me I know lol. Was just seeing if it would be different, or just lame.

I'll just quote them from the start.

stonehenge
09-12-2013, 04:13 AM
Caller: Hi, I was
Nailz: TWO HUNDRED
Caller: ... Anyway, my laptop is
Nailz: THREE HUNDO STICKS
Caller: FTS *click*

Chevrolet Fanatic
09-12-2013, 04:13 AM
:lol:

Mr.Rogers
09-12-2013, 04:27 AM
:lol: wit dat accent

Chevrolet Fanatic
09-12-2013, 04:30 AM
Here is what I kind of figured for the prices, they are low to be honest compared to the places around here. Think I should charge more/less for anything? Figured if I undercut prices I would get more business.

Software Training / PC Purchase Advisement - $50 per hour
Diagnosis/Estimate - Free or $50 if customer chooses not to complete repair.
Virus/Spyware/Adware Removal - $50
Fresh OS Install with service packs and updates that resembles factory specs + Anti-Virus - $75
Hardware Repair or Replacement - $50 + cost of parts

I'm just going to have flat rate fees, because most of the places around here do the same and don't charge by the hour.

---------- Post added at 11:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 PM ----------

I've probably been getting ripped off this entire time.

stonehenge
09-12-2013, 04:43 AM
Coworker that I sometimes help charges $100 for virus removal. Sometimes its as easy as running malware bytes but sometimes it requires a lot of work. Like royarz dad with 5000 Facebook viruses

---------- Post added at 08:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 PM ----------

Also, I'd add something along the lines of "Large projects: call for quote" in case someone asks you to install their modem, router, computer, setup WiFi, and make sure Netflix works on their new Roku or whatever.

---------- Post added at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

That kind of stuff would work better with hourly imo

Chevrolet Fanatic
09-12-2013, 05:24 AM
Yeah that stuff definitely would need to be hourly.

Damn, $100 for virus removal. Fucking Norton wanted $200 to remove a virus off one of my best friends computers, I did it in one minute for free lol.

Maybe $50 is too cheap, not sure. Maybe up that to $75 and a complete OS reinstall to $100?

---------- Post added at 12:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 AM ----------

The way I have that set up though, if it is bad enough that I have to reinstall windows then I would be charging $125 ($50+$75), so maybe it's fine to begin with to test the waters.

Plus...WV = lower incomes.

---------- Post added at 12:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 AM ----------

I also save all their old shit and put it back on the PC/laptop, or try to recover it using a recovery program, half the places around here won't even do that lol.

stonehenge
09-12-2013, 07:08 AM
Well you could always do something like "1 hour virus removal $50" and an additional $25 if it goes over an hour, $25 more for hour 3, $100 max. That way you don't overcharge for simple removals but you get paid for the bitch ones lol

Also, try your best to never have to reinstall Windows because of a virus. I'm guessing 80% won't have restore disks or a copy of their OS lol

Chevrolet Fanatic
09-12-2013, 08:47 AM
from the PC's I've owned over the years I have install disks for XP, Vista, and 7...although reinstalling 8 would be a problem as I don't have a disk...unless my brothers acer laptop came with one. when you work on them you might as well rely on yourself and not expect anyone to ever have a reinstallation disk lol

all you have to do is re-activate the serial number over the phone that is on the desktop/laptop for whatever version you're reinstalling. did it numerous times over the years and never had a problem yet.

I only do it as a last resort after all other options don't work. It's just that some people let their computers get in such a state they are fucked so bad you can't even truly fix them unless you do a reinstall.

theholycow
09-12-2013, 11:41 AM
Also, try your best to never have to reinstall Windows because of a virus. I'm guessing 80% won't have restore disks or a copy of their OS lol
:read:

You can't keep reusing your discs and especially your serial number. Doesn't matter that you're replacing legit installations, they'll catch on that you're using your serial.

I've never needed to reinstall because of a virus. Get good at manually battling viruses; stuff like Malwarebytes is great if you want to just sit there doing nothing watching the clock hands spin, but if you actually want to remove a tough virus nothing is better than fighting it one-on-one. Procexp, autoruns, hijackthis, revouninstaller, and nirsoft's registry search program whose name I can't remember are most of my main tools (along with command prompt, regedit, Windows Explorer with hidden and OS file display enabled, etc). They're ALL portable single .exe files. I also use a USB->SATA/IDE adapter and take the drive out to work on it offline using my laptop if it's particularly tough.

Write up a simple howto and tell your users to run Malwarebytes, Spybot, Microsoft Security Essentials, and whatever other antivirus programs you trust (Nrotton and Mcrappee are awful at protecting, but their free one-time-use scanners sometimes help and are easy). That'll take out the large volume of easy targets before you arrive so you can concentrate on the real offenders. For some people that'll clean them right up so they don't need to pay you to come over, and they'll damn well remember you the next time they need something.

As for non-virus reinstalls, I consider it a brick wall if the user doesn't have their disc/serial. I make it as good as I can without reinstalling and tell them that's as good as it gets. It's probably a good idea to tell people ahead of time to try to find their stuff.

stonehenge
09-12-2013, 01:48 PM
I only do it as a last resort after all other options don't work. It's just that some people let their computers get in such a state they are fucked so bad you can't even truly fix them unless you do a reinstall.

Oh I know the feeling. The couple times I've had a virus myself, I just decided to wipe it but I just like to do that from time to time lol. Besides the OS disk thing, there's always the chance that they had some off the wall shit installed that you can't find to reinstall or "oh yeah I just remembered that my special one of a kind files are in C:/Windows/LolWat, did you get them!??" lol so I just try to avoid reinstalls whenever possible.

You can't keep reusing your discs and especially your serial number. Doesn't matter that you're replacing legit installations, they'll catch on that you're using your serial.

I think he means call MS and give them the serial from the sticker on the users machine. Which should work but I never had to try it.

I've never needed to reinstall because of a virus. Get good at manually battling viruses; stuff like Malwarebytes is great if you want to just sit there doing nothing watching the clock hands spin, but if you actually want to remove a tough virus nothing is better than fighting it one-on-one. Procexp, autoruns, hijackthis, revouninstaller, and nirsoft's registry search program whose name I can't remember are most of my main tools (along with command prompt, regedit, Windows Explorer with hidden and OS file display enabled, etc). They're ALL portable single .exe files. I also use a USB->SATA/IDE adapter and take the drive out to work on it offline using my laptop if it's particularly tough.

Word, reinstalling the OS may be easier but with a little work, you can fix it and not have to worry about them buying an OS or you missing some of their crap when you wipe it.

Also, ComboFix has saved me a few times too. Especially with root kits.

As for non-virus reinstalls, I consider it a brick wall if the user doesn't have their disc/serial. I make it as good as I can without reinstalling and tell them that's as good as it gets. It's probably a good idea to tell people ahead of time to try to find their stuff.

Word, clean it up as best as you can and let them know that if there is any odd behavior left, it is damage from the viruses. The only way to fix it would be to reinstall the OS which would require PURCHASING an OS disc unless that computer has a sticker and Nailz idea works. Last resort IMO.

JayBo
09-12-2013, 01:56 PM
My prices are outrageous I guess... but people still constantly call me.

Virus/malware removal or restore back to OEM specs - $150
Misc troubleshooting - $50/hr
Networking workstations/printers/copiers/etc - $25/per machine + $45/hr
DSL or ISP set up - $75

Hooking up cable/satellite recievers - $100 first TV 30 for every other.

surround sound installs. - LOL @ yourself bc you gonna get raeped.

---------- Post added at 08:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 AM ----------

Sitting in server room doing updates and AC was working wonderfully. Keeping my room a nice cool 60*. THen it says "Ehhh FTS. I'm le tired." and cut the fuck off...and won't come back on..

Already warming up in here.

theholycow
09-12-2013, 02:04 PM
I think he means call MS and give them the serial from the sticker on the users machine. Which should work but I never had to try it.

Will that work if the number doesn't match the edition installed? Like, install whitebox OEM version but number belongs to OEM Dell version.

Word, reinstalling the OS may be easier but with a little work, you can fix it and not have to worry about them buying an OS or you missing some of their crap when you wipe it.

Honestly I've found manual removal to be less work even in the worst cases, just because I've gotten good at it.

Word, clean it up as best as you can and let them know that if there is any odd behavior left, it is damage from the viruses.

Usually stuff like that, if you've really gotten rid of the virus, can be fixed by restoring default local security policies. There's a batch file somewhere that you can run for that.

My prices are outrageous I guess... but people still constantly call me.
Nah, those prices look about right. Maybe a little high for a one-man operation without insurance, incorporation, etc, but not extremely high.

Sitting in server room doing updates and AC was working wonderfully. Keeping my room a nice cool 60*. THen it says "Ehhh FTS. I'm le tired." and cut the fuck off...and won't come back on..

Already warming up in here.

Get that shit fixed before your servers burn up!

Thanks for reminding me that when it's too hot in this fucking cubicle they moved me to, I can go to the cool server room.

JayBo
09-12-2013, 02:09 PM
I fiddled with it for a bit and its now back on. THink temp sensor has a problem w it

stonehenge
09-12-2013, 03:04 PM
Cao the OEM, Dell, Home, Pro, etc are the reasons I always assumed that the sticker would be useless for helping me install from a normal install disc. Maybe Nailz found secret lol

Chevrolet Fanatic
09-12-2013, 06:21 PM
Yeah I avoid re-install's as much as possible and only do it when it's a must. I use a lot of the stuff you talked about Cao. I also like to use avira rescue system and bitdefender rescue cd that run off a usb drive on boot to begin with, but the best thing I've found to take around and use with me on the go is Ultimate Boot CD.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Yeah, the serial from the machine, it's not like I'm using my own serial over and over again...come on guys, please don't think I'm that stupid lol.

Honestly I've never had one problem doing it the way I talked about, it always shows up as a genuine windows validated install.

With Vista and 7 it's easy to choose whatever version you want to install whether it be home basic, home premium, professional, or ultimate and then use the corresponding machines serial.

If the disk forces you, you can go into the ei.cfg and change which version you want to install.

stonehenge
09-12-2013, 06:25 PM
hey hey I didn't say you were stupid, I knew what you meant lol

UBCD is win.

There's also one that uses Windows PE so you get an XP-like GUI with all the various tools you'd expect. It can sometimes be nicer to deal with than the text-based one. I believe it's called UBCD4WIN but idk if it has been updated or how well it works with Vista/7/8 since it's based on XP. Shouldn't matter though. To build the image for it, you need an XP disc/image. Or this guy has it pre-built: http://tomintechsupport.com/ultimate.html

Chevrolet Fanatic
09-12-2013, 08:35 PM
Yeah I've seen that one before but haven't tried it, I'm going to have to give it a go, it looks pretty nice.

stonehenge
09-12-2013, 09:15 PM
its handy to just open the password program, click administrator, and type a new password twice instead of dealing with the SAM hives and shit. Not that the text-based one is hard but the GUI has always been nicer to me.

Chevrolet Fanatic
09-12-2013, 09:36 PM
Haven't tried this, but it looks like it could be useful as well:

http://www.sarducd.it/

Basically has all free rescue cd's all in one.

stonehenge
09-12-2013, 09:40 PM
:notbad:

stonehenge
09-16-2013, 05:05 PM
(╯°□°)╯︵ sɹǝsn

that is all.

stonehenge
09-17-2013, 04:42 PM
So the Compaq craptop warranty replacement from a few years ago runs like dick. Slow as shit booting, interwebs run slow as crap for no reason randomly even though every other device we have is fast, I think it's a shitty wifi card/antenna.

She has nothing installed other than fresh W8, Office, and Firefox. Plus flash, pdf reader, etc normal stuff. So it isn't bloated or anything.

I could probably put a stripped down XP or something on it but I'd rather buy her something decent if we can pull it off. Want to find something that isn't too small but still portable enough. Not super fast/expensive but at least an i3 with 4gb of memory. HD size doesn't matter much. Gonna be looking at Dell and Lenovo because I can get a discount on them.

Just thinking outloud. Cao/Yaybo, you bought any decent but not too $$$ laptops for anyone at work recently?

MikeH
09-17-2013, 04:52 PM
You just missed all the good back to school sales. Think staples had a 15.6" Toshiba with i3 for $300. I would just keep an eye out on slickdeals.

stonehenge
09-17-2013, 04:56 PM
ah yes, i forgot about slickdeals

Will keep an eye on it :shake:

MikeH
09-17-2013, 04:58 PM
If you don't mind AMD then you could probably get something under $300.

stonehenge
09-17-2013, 05:08 PM
I prefer Intel but if the price is right then might do it live. Don't want the lowest end machine though, that's why I need a new one now lol physically there is nothing wrong with this laptop. Not broken, all parts are working, etc it is just slow as shit.

I need to check the specs on it and get something that is a little quicker.

shootermcgavin003
09-18-2013, 05:45 AM
Mom got hp for 320 pretty decent cant remember specs but is nice was from sams or wally

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

stonehenge
09-18-2013, 06:41 AM
I had a Toshiba and mom has a Toshiba, both were/are good lappys.

Cez★
09-18-2013, 06:24 PM
mawkbewk

stonehenge
09-18-2013, 07:00 PM
$$$$

:no:

Cez★
09-18-2013, 07:06 PM
old mawkbewk :shrug:

JayBo
09-18-2013, 07:54 PM
just got a new Acer interactive projector unboxed and hooked up.. and sitting on a projector stand it throws the image on the ceiling rofl

stonehenge
09-18-2013, 08:13 PM
wtf

stonehenge
09-18-2013, 10:32 PM
Two people--Derp Derpington and Herp Herpston--need passwords to access the computers in lab A & B so that they can establish their own passwords. Juan took care of this in Aug, but apparently they deleted the messages emailed to them from him. They've been using only the generic password available for the lab computers, and when that was discontinued last week they realized they cannot get into our lab computers. So please email them passwords again (or re-send the original ones sent to them). I apologize for their neglect and thank you AGAIN for taking care of this.

:ohyou:

Cez★
09-18-2013, 10:33 PM
make passwords pendejo1 and pendejo2

MikeH
09-22-2013, 04:13 PM
Juan, see if your local Best Buy has this deal http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+15.6%26%2334%3B+Laptop+-+4GB+Memory+-+500GB+Hard+Drive+-+Black/7906079.p?id=1218862005026&skuId=7906079&strId=944&strClr=true&ld=43.478294&lg=-111.98541&rd=25

stonehenge
09-22-2013, 05:04 PM
Page not found :/

MikeH
09-22-2013, 05:08 PM
Asus X501A-SI30302Q for $279

Chevrolet Fanatic
09-24-2013, 07:41 PM
I wouldn't buy any other laptop than a Acer or Asus. I've picked so many of each out for people and I've heard nothing but good things about them after they get them.

HP, Dell, and Toshiba have all been pieces of shit in my experience. Especially working on peoples and hearing horror stories constantly about them.

stonehenge
09-26-2013, 05:38 PM
One of my servers was unreachable. Went to see if it had died, crashed, network card died, switch port died, etc... The network cable was unplugged. None of us have been in the server room for a couple days and the cable has a sturdy clip on it so it didn't just fall out.

:aliens:

stonehenge
10-01-2013, 08:04 PM
http://grahamcluley.com/2013/09/serious-yahoo-bug/

:whoa: you can compromise ANY yahoo account with a simple link? Thanks so much for telling us bro! Here's $12.50 to buy a yahoo shirt :shake:

theholycow
10-01-2013, 08:07 PM
:fp2:

JayBo
10-07-2013, 03:31 PM
So. Had a guy that wanted his machine faster. I ordered him some RAM. 8Gb to be exact. 4 sticks of Kingston KTD-DM8400C6/2G

Before I could get it here and install it, one of the admins forced me to give him a new workstation AND remove his DVD burner and install it in another machine.. So I did... and now I have RAM I can't use anywhere else.

WTF you idiots????

stonehenge
10-07-2013, 03:36 PM
:facepalm:

can you just put another cd or dvd drive into his old workstation and pass it along to someone else or keep it as a spare w/ decent ram?

---------- Post added at 07:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 AM ----------

or theres no one around there who treats you better than others that could benefit from some free ram?

theholycow
10-07-2013, 03:38 PM
:yup:

JayBo
10-07-2013, 03:39 PM
He had one of the only Dell machines in my network. Everything else is Lenovo..
It has decent RAM in it now. Enough to run. I wanted to just blow it away and do a fresh OS install. Especially since XP is gonna be End of Life here soon. For some reason it was dowgraded to XP when bought. It should have Vista on it.

I'm sure I can dig a DVD burner or even just a old CD drive out of a parts machine.

Nobody treats me worth shit here :rofl2: YUNO know this?!

I just contacted the vendor I purchased it from. Maybe they'll let me return it and get something else I can actually use.

stonehenge
10-07-2013, 03:52 PM
For some reason it was downgraded to XP when bought. It should have Vista on it.

You gave the reason.

Nobody treats me worth shit here :rofl2: YUNO know this?!

I knew you weren't happy with them there but I thought maybe there was a person or two that weren't dicks and deserved a couple extra gigs of ram :uhohshrug:

stonehenge
10-14-2013, 05:06 PM
Attention various IT peeps. Keep an eye on this new bitch named CryptoLocker. It's been around for a couple months or so and has been getting more and more common. It is a virus that installs in the background and encrypts almost anything it can find. Especially documents, images, audio, etc that may be important to the person. Once it is done encrypting, it pops up and says "Hey, we just encrypted all your files. You have XX:XX:XX time to pay us $300 or we will delete the key that you need to decrypt it." At this point there is no way to recover the encrypted files because it is legit encryption. I'm not sure if paying them the $300 actually results in a valid key and recovered files either. They're calling it ransomware.

So once a person has it, it is too late. It also encrypts anything it can get to on mapped drives and USB drives. I don't think it looks for network shares (unless they're mapped). So if the person has a shared drive with other people and it's mapped, it can affect multiple people.

There is a small policy that you can enforce if you use a Windows Domain that should help prevent the thing from running. From what I've seen, a lot of AV software doesn't even detect it until it's too late but they may have caught up by now, I'm not sure.

Lots of info on it here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/1mizfx/proper_care_feeding_of_your_cryptolocker/

I setup that GP on our Windows domains but I need to figure out a way to push it out on our Linux (Samba) domain. It doesn't do GP so idk if there's a way to do it.

theholycow
10-14-2013, 05:50 PM
fak

Gonna push that policy ASAP.

stonehenge
10-14-2013, 06:28 PM
Yeah, I pushed it out on Friday afternoon and just realized that I forgot to post about it. You may never run into it but it's pretty brutal if you do and they had anything vital on their local machine/USB. As long as you have a backup, the network share shouldn't be that devastating but still annoying.

JayBo
10-14-2013, 07:41 PM
I believe I'll push that out. Thanks for the heads up!

stonehenge
10-14-2013, 07:50 PM
:shake:

If the hax0rz release a newer version that runs it's exe from somewhere else then the policy won't help but at this point it's supposed to stop it from running.

http://i.imgur.com/DGzSZ8h.png

Chevrolet Fanatic
10-14-2013, 09:18 PM
Well guys, got my Articles of Organization/Business Registration certificates, I'm official.

Get some business cards, and it's time to pimp.

Cez★
10-14-2013, 09:20 PM
must do cryptoblocker mod

Chevrolet Fanatic
10-14-2013, 09:21 PM
Attention various IT peeps. Keep an eye on this new bitch named CryptoLocker. It's been around for a couple months or so and has been getting more and more common. It is a virus that installs in the background and encrypts almost anything it can find. Especially documents, images, audio, etc that may be important to the person. Once it is done encrypting, it pops up and says "Hey, we just encrypted all your files. You have XX:XX:XX time to pay us $300 or we will delete the key that you need to decrypt it." At this point there is no way to recover the encrypted files because it is legit encryption. I'm not sure if paying them the $300 actually results in a valid key and recovered files either. They're calling it ransomware.

So once a person has it, it is too late. It also encrypts anything it can get to on mapped drives and USB drives. I don't think it looks for network shares (unless they're mapped). So if the person has a shared drive with other people and it's mapped, it can affect multiple people.

There is a small policy that you can enforce if you use a Windows Domain that should help prevent the thing from running. From what I've seen, a lot of AV software doesn't even detect it until it's too late but they may have caught up by now, I'm not sure.

Lots of info on it here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/1mizfx/proper_care_feeding_of_your_cryptolocker/

I setup that GP on our Windows domains but I need to figure out a way to push it out on our Linux (Samba) domain. It doesn't do GP so idk if there's a way to do it.

Sounds like a good time.

...not really.

stonehenge
10-14-2013, 09:27 PM
Well guys, got my Articles of Organization/Business Registration certificates, I'm official.

Get some business cards, and it's time to pimp.

Nailz' Sexual Escapades & IT Emporium ?

must do cryptoblocker mod

You're on a Mac, pls disregard :read: plus that is a server-side change, not on users computers.

Sounds like a good time.

...not really.

Hopefully the first person to use NSE&ITE isn't a CryptoLocker victim :uhoh:

Cez★
10-14-2013, 09:35 PM
:cheeky:

:bitchin:

Chevrolet Fanatic
10-14-2013, 09:48 PM
Nailz' Sexual Escapades & IT Emporium ?

Hopefully the first person to use NSE&ITE isn't a CryptoLocker victim :uhoh:

That should have been what I named it lol.

I hope they aren't. God would that suck.

BTW, the real name I finally went with was Coalfield Computer Solutions. I live in the southern WV coalfields. Guess that could include Jeff right across the way over in eastern KY too.

stonehenge
10-14-2013, 09:50 PM
sounds legit

theholycow
10-14-2013, 11:12 PM
Yeah, I pushed it out on Friday afternoon and just realized that I forgot to post about it. You may never run into it but it's pretty brutal if you do and they had anything vital on their local machine/USB. As long as you have a backup, the network share shouldn't be that devastating but still annoying.

First thing tomorrow morning I'm taking my backup drives offline and replacing them, been needing to do that anyway but was definitely convinced to get off my ass and do it when I read about this shit.

Maybe I'm just paranoid but I feel like my users have way too much data at risk. The only good thing is they're not too terrible about falling for email attachment bullshit...years ago when I first started people would just hand their password off to every phisher and open every attachment.

stonehenge
10-14-2013, 11:19 PM
We only have one department that is virus prone. Lucky us, they are on the linux domain. :suicide2:

theholycow
10-14-2013, 11:46 PM
Should be able to do it from a login script. Worst case scenario, figure out what registry entries change from the GPO and use reg command. IIRC it's possible to make GPOs elsewhere and distribute them via the linux-DC'd domain.

stonehenge
10-14-2013, 11:47 PM
yeah i'm sure there's a way

Chevrolet Fanatic
10-15-2013, 01:02 AM
Hory shet, premium business cards with a color backside and premium matte stock on vistaprint are $45 for 250. Figured it would be less, but it's like $13 extra for color backside and premium matte stock.

Oh well, I'd rather have a good card for a little extra than a piece of floppy ugly shit.

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

Evidently Malwarebytes is touting their Pro version of Anti-Malware can block CryptoLocker before it can even do anything. Don't know if that is just marketing hyperbole or actually true.

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

I bet the NSA/FBI are going to ream out the assholes of whoever created this, if they can find them. I saw where supposedly there were a number of FBI servers infected and the NSA was doing a big time investigation. Don't know if that was in the Reddit thread or not.

theholycow
10-15-2013, 01:05 AM
The CryptoLocker tracking down division of NSA and FBI are probably closed because of government shutdown. The Big Brother Surveillance divisions are certainly still funded, though.

Chevrolet Fanatic
10-15-2013, 01:14 AM

Never thought of that.

stonehenge
10-15-2013, 01:21 AM
Hory shet, premium business cards with a color backside and premium matte stock on vistaprint are $45 for 250. Figured it would be less, but it's like $13 extra for color backside and premium matte stock.

Oh well, I'd rather have a good card for a little extra than a piece of floppy ugly shit.

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

Evidently Malwarebytes is touting their Pro version of Anti-Malware can block CryptoLocker before it can even do anything. Don't know if that is just marketing hyperbole or actually true.

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

I bet the NSA/FBI are going to ream out the assholes of whoever created this, if they can find them. I saw where supposedly there were a number of FBI servers infected and the NSA was doing a big time investigation. Don't know if that was in the Reddit thread or not.

You may want to make a website too, something simple that lists the various things you can do. You don't have to have prices on there if you don't want to. Up to you though.

I believe the Malwarebytes claim, I love Malwarebytes.

JayBo
10-15-2013, 02:02 PM
malwarebytes has saved my arse numerous times.

Except on 1 machine I have. it found like 400 "Infected" files that were all excel files and then locked up when I told it to clean them or remove them.

I must ask. You that are in IT department.
Do your duties stretch beyond the IT field? I'm tired of being harassed about shit here that I'm unaware falls in my job. Like installing a POS Sam's Club security camera system.. srsly??

theholycow
10-15-2013, 02:35 PM
We have acquired a number of responsibilities that might not be considered IT's job. Security cameras, electronic door locks, telephone systems, web site, etc. When you're a hammer, everything looks like a nail...so we IT ALL THE THINGS!
:allthethings:

Telephones have been replaced with a Microsoft Lync VoIP system. Security cameras are IP, and record to a regular server. Door locks we haven't messed with much.

JayBo
10-15-2013, 02:57 PM
I work on the CCTV system, security cameras, all that you just listed... But I find it kind of hard to do an install in the cafeteria/kitchen when #1 they are cooking and I have to tear ceiling tiles down right over where they are cooking #2 As soon as I get up on the ladder (35ft to the camera mount) I'll get called down to go diagnose a printer that wont print.. when all it needs is paper in the SOB.

I don't mind working on stuff, any stuff. But this is rediculous. Especially when they paid the guy that was here during my absence at the bank to install every smart board and security camera... I kind of expect to be compensated as well.

stonehenge
10-15-2013, 03:11 PM
we manage electronic door locks, keys for our labs, expensive speaker phones that we loan out to different departments, huge outdoor projection screens, websites, TVs, etc.

me and the other server guy are essentially the cubicle architechs as well

besides the cubicles, if it involves any sort of technology or electronics, we'll usually end up doing it

theholycow
10-15-2013, 03:21 PM
I work on the CCTV system, security cameras, all that you just listed... But I find it kind of hard to do an install in the cafeteria/kitchen when #1 they are cooking and I have to tear ceiling tiles down right over where they are cooking #2 As soon as I get up on the ladder (35ft to the camera mount) I'll get called down to go diagnose a printer that wont print.. when all it needs is paper in the SOB.

I don't mind working on stuff, any stuff. But this is rediculous. Especially when they paid the guy that was here during my absence at the bank to install every smart board and security camera... I kind of expect to be compensated as well.
Yeah, that kitchen thing sounds tough. Luckily we haven't needed to do anything directly over kitchen appliances.

All in all it sounds like the problem is insufficient staff. Welcome to the Obama era. (Not specifically blaming it on Obama any more than I think Clinton is responsible for the prosperity in his era, though Obama has certainly contributed to where we are and failed to mitigate it.)

we manage electronic door locks, keys for our labs, expensive speaker phones that we loan out to different departments, huge outdoor projection screens, websites, TVs, etc.

me and the other server guy are essentially the cubicle architechs as well

besides the cubicles, if it involves any sort of technology or electronics, we'll usually end up doing it

Oh man I forgot to mention TVs and cable TV service, projectors, audio for PA and auditorium systems, stage lighting, cubicle/office design.

JayBo
10-15-2013, 03:35 PM
Ok good so it's not just here lol.

I was told in a meeting that I has put this school "Leaps and Bounds" over other local systems, 1 in particular. Just kinda jokingly I said "And THAT guy makes over 90K a year! I'll settle for half..." and got many evil looks and was basically told to GTFO lol

theholycow
10-15-2013, 03:38 PM
I know that feel.
:feelz:

---------- Post added at 10:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 AM ----------

Why does our :feelz guy look pissed off anyway?

stonehenge
10-15-2013, 04:04 PM
i suppose he does look a bit angry :jester:

but yeah yaybo, I think pretty much every IT guy around gets stuck doing random shit

I'm not even a desktop tech or one-guy-for-a-whole-department or anything, I'm a server guy and last week I helped mount a TV on the wall. The server "team" are also the cubicle team. We even help setup and remove tables/chairs/decorations for parties.

JayBo
10-15-2013, 04:12 PM
They take my knowledge of install professinal and use it lol

theholycow
10-15-2013, 04:19 PM
I'm not even a desktop tech or one-guy-for-a-whole-department or anything, I'm a server guy and last week I helped mount a TV on the wall. The server "team" are also the cubicle team. We even help setup and remove tables/chairs/decorations for parties.

Last Friday my boss and I were dismounting TVs and running cables in walls and ceilings then remounting the TVs. At least we got another department to do the initial mounting, screwing stuff to the wall.

stonehenge
10-15-2013, 04:35 PM
for the most part idgaf but I could see it being really annoying if I was the only person in the place doing it all and had to do it on top of kitchen appliances and shit lol

JayBo
10-15-2013, 04:59 PM
Yeah it gets a bit frustrating. I mean theres not really a good time I could do it that there isn't someone in there cooking. They get here at 6:30 and leave at 3:30

It would take me a month to do it one camera at the time...which is looking like what I'm going to have to do. it's a shitty ass system anyhow.. I don't understand why he didn't just spend the money to add into our additional system.

Eh hell.. I dunno. This place is fucked up this year. I'm just trying to find an escape plan.

stonehenge
10-15-2013, 05:02 PM
can't you tell them the day before that "I'll be here tomorrow first thing in the morning to put a camera THERE. Do not cook under that spot tomorrow. As soon as I'm done, I'll let you know and you can use that oven/stove/whatever." ?

theholycow
10-15-2013, 05:39 PM
Sometimes you have to say "no".

"Can we add this crappy camera?"
"No, that won't work. We'll need a new DVR server and this IP camera. It's going to need a contractor to install."

Even though you can piece it together with crappy shit and make it happen by pouring hours of anger into it, that's not a professional way to work and the result isn't professional. When they complain about the cost, your stance is "yeah, IT sure is expensive, kinda sucks".

Chevrolet Fanatic
10-15-2013, 07:09 PM
Most IT guys seem like the office bitch to me, doing everything that nobody else wants to do. At least that's the way I was the place I was working before.

stonehenge
10-15-2013, 07:21 PM
I'll be honest though, I like putting up TVs and moving tables around and shit from time to time. It breaks up the monotony of creating accounts, creating shares, restoring lost files, checking backups, replacing batteries, replacing drives, etc.

However if I was the lone IT gai at a place, I doubt I'd enjoy it.

Like cao said, if it is something that would be done more correctly if they hired someone then tell them that because down the line if it craps out, they'll blame you even though they are the ones that told you to do it and how much to spend.

JayBo
10-15-2013, 08:42 PM
I could show you the email I received and sent lol. I'm probably about to be in another damn meeting... about my honestly b/c I told them the truth.

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

Hell. Here goes anyway.

Jason,

Contact 24.7 to see what we need to do about the camera on 13-01 that I put in the tech repair book on 10/1/13. Also, I noticed today on 11-01 that the mph does not show on the afternoon of 10/14/13. It does show mph that morning. Ask 247 about warranty and cost of someone coming here to work on the cameras as well as replacement if we need to. I know Jeremy installed them so ask him as well about checking them and how much it would cost.
Check all cameras on the buses for other issues and let me know what you find.

Start on the camera system that was bought from SAM's. I know you told me Ms. Smith told you not to do anything over her room but we need to get it started. Begin in the lunchroom area and work outward from there. Get started on this project this week and let me know an approximate completion date.

Email me today the information I've asked for about 24.7 and the SAM's system.

This was sent to me, CC'd to the boss lady.

My reply to him, also CC'd to boss.
I contacted 24/7 about the cameras on each bus. Hooley's, Ronnie's and Gwen's. I was instructed by our sales rep to contact Tech Support, which I did, and in turn I was instructed by them to contact a certain individual at 24/7. This person is supposed to issue u s RMA's to send the faulty equipment back and they will fix or replace it as they see fit. I was only given an email address for this person because she was away from her desk at the time that I called so I have emailed her all serial numbers that pertain to the faulty equipment and am waiting on her reply.

The cameras you bought at Sam's...
I'm not really sure where to start on them. I know its going to be more of a headache than anyone besides myself realizes. Today I sat and thought about how to install the cameras in the kitchen area when the staff is cooking/serving all day. That's going to create a problem. Then the task of climbing inside a ceiling that is 30 ft off the ground, I'm sure all the while getting phone calls and/or emails wanting me to get down and fix something in someones's room or show someone how to start a VCR or DVD movie... that creates an even bigger problem. I can do it after hours, but I'd like to be compensated for that. I could see it easily taking several weeks to install having to work around everyone that is in the cafeteria/kitchen and then waiting to finish the part where the DVR will be housed in Ms. Smith's room after SACS. I personally do not want to make any more trips into the ceiling than I have to. It's not a desirable place to work and isn't the most safe of places either.
All-in-all I was against the purchase of the seperate system as I like to keep things uniform and centrally operated, but I know money is an issue and that's why the current system wasn't added on to or replaced. IT work of any kind is expensive, and you definitely get what you pay for.

stonehenge
10-15-2013, 08:47 PM
:blackkidooo:

JayBo
10-15-2013, 08:52 PM
I even sent a copy to my friend in the BOE office for her to make sure I didn't step over any lines.

Chevrolet Fanatic
10-15-2013, 11:07 PM
Do you not have a support ticket system in place where you're not bothered at all times with e-mails and phone calls where people can just submit stuff through it instead? Something like that certainly helps...at times. Not sure what kind of situation you're truly in though, sounds like a bitch.

stonehenge
10-15-2013, 11:10 PM
We have a system but I have it setup to email me when someone replies or whatever.

VmaxEngage
10-17-2013, 02:29 AM
FUCK now that im in my CCNA class...shit is difficult.

fucking subnetting is the worst

theholycow
10-17-2013, 02:39 AM
Yeah, it's a pain in the ass.

When you grok the concept and you're using it in the real world it's much, much easier...but the way they do it on the test, IIRC, is incredibly overcooked, plus if you're new to it then the concept might not have stuck yet.

VmaxEngage
10-17-2013, 02:43 AM
I've got like 60% of it maybe. I know how to do it from scratch if I know how many networks are needed and how many hosts are needed on each and am given the network address

then the concept of VLSM is even crazier...ffffuuuuuuuuck

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

made a 61 on my ch. 6 quiz...which was the subnetting chapter :fp:

theholycow
10-17-2013, 02:47 AM
I don't even remember what VLSM is.

I scored 946/1000 on the CCNA test in 2001.

VmaxEngage
10-17-2013, 03:17 AM
variable length subnetting...using the number of hosts to determine the subnet and not wasting addresses

fuck i hope i can pass it when i take it.

Mr.Rogers
10-17-2013, 03:36 AM
I don't even remember what VLSM is.

I scored 946/1000 on the CCNA test in 2001.

Cao- http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a170/aluthevampire/1166079-picsay_zps1aa3b758.jpg

VmaxEngage
10-17-2013, 08:52 AM

theholycow
10-17-2013, 11:37 AM
IRL, you won't ever need to struggle with VLSM. You'll be in one of these situations:

1. Not working at an ISP, you'll just use as many 10., 192., and 172. subnets as you want, just guessing at masks and quantity of hosts. You don't want to limit yourself too much on hosts anyway.

2. Working at an ISP as an entry level employee you'll be told what subnetting to set.

3. Working at an ISP as a senior employee you'll have years of practice but there will be subnet charts taped to the wall and subnet calculators on your computer and phone and tablet...

I know that doesn't help pass the test, of course. They had to find SOMETHING to fill that test with!

stonehenge
10-17-2013, 02:28 PM
thats like every test that you have to take without notes

IRL you have notes, google, coworkers, calculators, whatever the fuck else you need

Mr.Rogers
10-17-2013, 02:39 PM

IRL you have notes, google, coworkers, calculators, whatever the fuck else you need

Tru story lol even with my job I ask le googlez and 90% it delivers lol thank da lawrd

Cez★
10-17-2013, 02:45 PM

:serio:

stonehenge
10-17-2013, 02:47 PM
when it comes to IT stuff, there's no way one person can know allthethings. They may be able to figure it out after burning hours of time on it or they can google it and use other people's experience/knowledge to expand theirs. Plus solve the problem in way less time.

It is important to know WHY it solved the problem but wasting time is ratard.

VmaxEngage
10-17-2013, 03:36 PM
Oh I know, I argue that shit all the time. Notes and everything are available in real world scenarios, but no no no fuck that shit for a test! It's dumb

Oh well. This is only CCNA 1 I'm in...I got 3 more classes to go lol I gotta pass em to get my degree

stonehenge
10-17-2013, 04:01 PM
Fts

VmaxEngage
10-17-2013, 05:19 PM
serio

hopefully it will be woth it when im making hundreds of thousands that my teacher keeps telling us we'll make :lol:

stonehenge
10-17-2013, 05:22 PM
:uhoh:

Mr.Rogers
10-17-2013, 05:27 PM
Wouldnt mind blake as sugar daddy once he gets his degreez :yup:

stonehenge
10-17-2013, 05:30 PM
:bogzcam:

VmaxEngage
10-17-2013, 05:48 PM
:stimpy:

theholycow
10-17-2013, 05:57 PM
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv315/theh0lyc0w/HitachiFace/CowGuy-1.png

Chevrolet Fanatic
10-17-2013, 09:11 PM
FUCK now that im in my CCNA class...shit is difficult.

fucking subnetting is the worst

Subnetting can eat a bag full of dicks. One of the most excruciatingly anal fistworthy things I had to ever learn, and honestly I didn't remember half of it one week later.

7t4CQdBhhMM

Maybe that will help, I know it's simplistic and from a Network+ video series, but sometimes simple is the best.

VmaxEngage
10-17-2013, 09:35 PM
Yea it sucks assssssssssssssssssssssssssss

stonehenge
10-17-2013, 10:57 PM
excruciatingly anal fistworthy

:bogzcam:

Chevrolet Fanatic
10-17-2013, 11:40 PM

JayBo
10-18-2013, 02:40 PM
I remember subnetting in the first CCNA class I took.

I only took 2 classes... and forgot it all

stonehenge
10-18-2013, 02:54 PM
me and royarz started taking a Cisco class in high school. I remember that we made ethernet cables and talked about subnets and shit but that's all I can remember. I don't even think we finished the class but I'm not sure how that happened, it's not like it was college and we dropped it. So maybe we finished it but forgot it all?

:fulloffuck:

Mr.Rogers
10-18-2013, 03:03 PM
me and royarz started taking a Cisco class in high school. I remember that we made ethernet cables and talked about subnets and shit but that's all I can remember. I don't even think we finished the class but I'm not sure how that happened, it's not like it was college and we dropped it. So maybe we finished it but forgot it all?

:fulloffuck:

:lol: we where too busy tryin to make the teacher let us do a lan party in class lololol

stonehenge
10-18-2013, 03:16 PM
:cheeky:

JayBo
10-18-2013, 03:28 PM
THis mofo'ing Emachine behind me sounds like it's about to take flight any second..

stonehenge
10-18-2013, 03:31 PM
eMachines ftl

JayBo
10-18-2013, 03:42 PM
I hate them.

Is some kids. Fixing so he can do his homework

Mr.Rogers
10-18-2013, 03:44 PM
I remember an uncle of mine showin off his emachine at a party like it was a ferrari :sacfp:

JayBo
10-18-2013, 03:48 PM
HAHA!!!

Uncle has party now, drags out Apple IIe

Cez★
10-18-2013, 03:49 PM
:rofl:

Mr.Rogers
10-18-2013, 03:49 PM
:lol: we just don't go to his parties anymore :rofl:

stonehenge
10-18-2013, 04:12 PM
I hate them.

Is some kids. Fixing so he can do his homework

The techs don't work on personal equipment here, only stuff owned by us. So no fgt emachines :jester:

I remember an uncle of mine showin off his emachine at a party like it was a ferrari :sacfp
:lol we just don't go to his parties anymore :rofl:

get your head out of your ass peter

Mr.Rogers
10-18-2013, 04:54 PM
Lol not him but same family lol

stonehenge
10-18-2013, 05:18 PM
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/12/120019/3029920-4973625090-Close.png

stonehenge
10-25-2013, 02:37 AM
http://i.lvme.me/jiizrpd.jpg

http://i.lvme.me/c3havi9.jpg

http://i.lvme.me/gx34lcx.jpg

http://i.lvme.me/apfqh1d.jpg

http://i.lvme.me/tlmnl6p.jpg

http://i.lvme.me/m2izlpd.jpg

http://i.lvme.me/eiwplk1.jpg

http://i.lvme.me/huz4jz5.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/8vOGPd8.png

http://i.imgur.com/w8zQj6v.jpg

theholycow
10-29-2013, 07:41 PM
More stuff to block with software restriction policies to prevent CryptoLocker:
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9243537/Cryptolocker_How_to_avoid_getting_infected_and_wha t_to_do_if_you_are_?taxonomyId=125&pageNumber=2

XP clients:
Path Security Level Suggested Description
%AppData%\*.exe Disallowed Prevent Cryptolocker executable from running in AppData*
%AppData%\*\*.exe Disallowed Prevent virus payloads from executing in subfolders of AppData
%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Temp\Rar*\*.exe Disallowed Prevent un-WinRARed executables in email attachments from running in the user space
%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Temp\7z*\*.exe Disallowed Prevent un-7Ziped executables in email attachments from running in the user space
%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Temp\wz*\*.exe Disallowed Prevent un-WinZIPed executables in email attachments from running in the user space
%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Temp\*.zip\*.exe Disallowed Prevent unarchived executables in email attachments from running in the user space

Vista and newer clients:
Path Security Level Suggested Description
%AppData%\*.exe Disallowed Prevent Cryptolocker executable from running in AppData*
%AppData%\*\*.exe Disallowed Prevent virus payloads from executing in subfolders of AppData
%LocalAppData%\Temp\Rar*\*.exe Disallowed Prevent un-WinRARed executables in email attachments from running in the user space
%LocalAppData%\Temp\7z*\*.exe Disallowed Prevent un-7Ziped executables in email attachments from running in the user space
%LocalAppData%\Temp\wz*\*.exe Disallowed Prevent un-WinZIPed executables in email attachments from running in the user space
%LocalAppData%\Temp\*.zip\*.exe

---------- Post added at 02:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 PM ----------

While we're at it, how about software restriction policies for other stuff? Years ago I put a bunch into an identical function in Sophos Enterprise Console. Conduit, for example...

JayBo
10-29-2013, 07:55 PM
What are y'all doing about XP being end of life come April?

stonehenge
10-29-2013, 08:16 PM
I'm not doing shit since I'm a server guy but the techs have already made lists of machines in their various departments. Then they work with the departments to decide which to retire, which to replace, which are worth upgrading.

Is a mess lol

theholycow
10-29-2013, 08:24 PM
More CryptoLocker SRPs:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/cryptolocker-ransomware-information

I'm not worried about XP EOL. XP machines aren't going to suddenly quit. Threats will still need to get past the same defenses we already have before they get a chance to take advantage of a new flaw that remains unpatched.

stonehenge
10-29-2013, 10:28 PM
Well the main IT peeps here block them on the network a little while after EOL since they will no longer be patched (unless you pay MS I think lol fts)

stonehenge
10-30-2013, 07:00 AM
rofl: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19512174.aspx?pi239031352=1

theholycow
10-30-2013, 11:35 AM
:scared:

JayBo
10-30-2013, 02:06 PM
I think we're going to pay the yearly subscription fee to MS that allows us to upgrade any box to W7 or 8, and also any new Server OS's that come out.
I think its 1500/yr or so for W7/8, Server, Office, Microsoft Forefront and for addt'l $$$ can have Exchange.

theholycow
10-30-2013, 03:58 PM
So, my software restriction policies may be insufficient. This just ran:
AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\9S91UFMI\JavaSetup7u45[1].exe

It wasn't unexpected that it would try to run; I told IE to download and run it. I did expect it to fail, but I see the folder is deeper than the path wildcards I used. Has CryptoLocker been run from a browser like that, or from any other deeper path in AppData?

stonehenge
10-30-2013, 04:00 PM
Not sure, I thought the appdataa\*\* would cover allthepaths. I guess not :emo:

theholycow
10-30-2013, 04:09 PM
That particular path would need AppData\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*.exe, and there'd need to be a different level for Firefox, another for Chrome...not worried aboot Opera, I'm probably the only Opera user here.

stonehenge
10-30-2013, 04:56 PM
put -r in there so it's recursive :cheeky:

like opening cmd and typing ls :emo:

theholycow
10-30-2013, 05:37 PM
ls works fine for me when I open a cmd prompt. My path includes CygWin.
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv315/theh0lyc0w/HitachiFace/CowGuy-1.png

stonehenge
10-30-2013, 05:44 PM
i haz cygwin at home :cheeky:

but when I go to a random person's machine and open cmd to do something I end up typing ls or the wrong \ at least once

theholycow
10-30-2013, 06:02 PM
For some years I was network-pushing CygWin in the default domain policy so we could ssh in.

So, just now I had to leave my lunch (http://allofftopic.com/showpost.php?p=508113&postcount=2571) on my desk and go fix a problem. Problem I expected was projector not set to computer input. Problem I found was some jerk unplugged the VGA cable from the computer.

stonehenge
10-30-2013, 06:07 PM
:fp:

stonehenge
11-07-2013, 11:46 PM
http://www.reddit.com/r/talesfromtechsupport/comments/1q3wpz/update_tldr_accounting_firm_gets_cryptolocker/

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/scared.gif

theholycow
11-08-2013, 01:59 AM
:ohshit:

theholycow
11-09-2013, 02:19 PM
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-NcTeirM-74k/Un1qmVuGcdI/AAAAAAAADDg/MccRzxKQji0/s800/4590881%252B_f488df9a9a0d1a9c026b556d8ab92b26.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-qCMYXP9JVT4/Un2Wds_wTwI/AAAAAAAAA1k/NbEn5k9iMBg/s800/13%2B-%2B1

M.B Co
11-13-2013, 04:40 PM
Ugh. People at work using Google Docs on IE.

theholycow
11-13-2013, 04:43 PM
Could be worse.

I just got emailed some screenshots. Were they pasted in the email? No. Were they attached to the email? No. They were pasted in a spreadsheet file that was attached to the email.
:ayfkm:

stonehenge
11-13-2013, 04:48 PM
I get that all the time... they always paste them into an excel or Word file. It's ratard.

theholycow
11-13-2013, 04:56 PM
I get Word all the time. I've become numb to that. Excel, though....not so much.

stonehenge
11-13-2013, 04:58 PM
rofl yeah the excel ones are definitely more rare (and annoying)

Cez★
11-13-2013, 06:20 PM
Who the fuck thinks of pasting pics in excel

theholycow
11-13-2013, 06:53 PM
"This is a program for crunching numbers. It is commonly repurposed as a database because of the nice grid layout. :hmm: Perfect for screenshots!"

stonehenge
11-13-2013, 07:04 PM
I often use Photoshop to keep large matrices of numbers/words in order.

Cez★
11-13-2013, 07:24 PM

theholycow
11-13-2013, 07:55 PM
:roflsquared:

theholycow
11-28-2013, 03:17 AM
http://dottech.org/135008/customer-writes-out-computer-error-message-humor/

stonehenge
12-02-2013, 10:18 PM
neighbor: "hey, do you want a little project?"

me: :suspicious: "depends..."

neighbor: "I have an old Mac that my car guy gave me. I don't want it, I only said 'yes' when he asked because we were out for my birthday and I was a little drunk. Do you want it?"

me: "rofl sure, I'll check it out"

It's one of these:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-fcwhy1rE3Jw/T2_aQW7aTkI/AAAAAAAAHBI/M3z2DCN3JOA/s1600/g4imac15.JPG

800mhz, 512mb RAM, 60gb HD :Whoa: :ballinoutofcontrol: was like $1500 when it was new... like 10 years ago.. lol

Even includes the speakers rofl. It's too slow to be of any use to me but if it runs okay, I'll format it and update it as far as Apple will allow.

Maybe I can install some kids games on it or something and give it to BIL for his niņo to play with. :chin:

VmaxEngage
01-15-2014, 02:37 AM
fuuuuuuck i hate subnetting. Trying to remember this shit after the winter break was killing me. took like 1 1/2 hrs to do a lab :fp:

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l209/BlizzakeB/20F8F28C-C02B-4494-B9D2-10C5F18C7F85_zpsl8mi2mma.jpg

Cez★
01-15-2014, 02:39 AM
i get to find out how to identify plants this semster. come at me bro

VmaxEngage
01-15-2014, 04:00 AM

Chevrolet Fanatic
01-15-2014, 08:27 PM
I wonder how much I should start charging for smartphone screen repair? Anyone have any idea? I know most of these places charge a shit load, but I don't want to ream people too much. I mean it's not that hard to do anyway and will be quick and easy money.

Cez★
01-15-2014, 09:34 PM
$50 :shrug:

stonehenge
01-15-2014, 09:41 PM
$50 + parts or 2-3 hentai blurays

Chevrolet Fanatic
01-15-2014, 11:00 PM

Sounds about right, think that's what I will charge. Most places I looked charge a shit load + parts, it's highway robbery.

M.B Co
01-21-2014, 06:46 PM
.032 mbps speed test after it went down. wtf

Oh, it raised a smidge. Trying to get my employer to change. They always go down, phones go down, horrible speeds. bleh

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3248483426.png (http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3248483426)

stonehenge
01-21-2014, 07:21 PM
what went down? your isp?

M.B Co
01-21-2014, 08:15 PM
ISP went down couple times last week, un-related to them construction crews dug up 30-40 phone lines and our data line next door. We only average 2-3mbps

stonehenge
01-21-2014, 08:16 PM
nice job construction fgts

M.B Co
01-21-2014, 08:31 PM
yup, major demo is going on. Tearing out the road in front of our office/lot. Sporting good store going in next door, hotel, shops. aholes

VmaxEngage
01-22-2014, 05:15 AM
ISP went down couple times last week, un-related to them construction crews dug up 30-40 phone lines and our data line next door. We only average 2-3mbps

Is that all? What kind o company you work fer?

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Learning how to static route Cisco routers is a PITA.

Still figured it out and got 100 on mah lab :cheeky:

Cez★
01-22-2014, 05:31 AM
take me labs nao thx :happy:

VmaxEngage
01-22-2014, 05:48 AM
:roflpow:

Cez★
01-22-2014, 05:55 AM
:gooby:

M.B Co
01-22-2014, 03:25 PM
Fleet Manager for a bus rental & leasing company.

stonehenge
01-22-2014, 04:28 PM
bang bus rental

JayBo
01-22-2014, 04:54 PM
yay... WInzip backup FTL....

stonehenge
02-06-2014, 04:45 PM
I'm having an issue and I can't figure out wtf could be causing it.

We moved several machines from an old 2003 domain to a newer 2008R2 domain. A handful (not all) of them are having a problem. When the user logs in the first time, they see their home drive (mapped using the users profile tab in AD) and their shared drives (mapped using GPP). Everything looks good. The next time they log in, their home drive is gone. Reboots don't bring it back. They can go to the path in explorer and access it with no problems and they can manually map it so permissions are fine. If they manually map it and check Reconnect, it will NOT show up after a reboot.

So far it seems like it is only happening on W7 boxes, but not all of them. It isn't a user issue because they can log into a different computer and everything works.

We've moved over LOTS of computers to this domain over the last few years and we've never had this problem until recently.

Oh and changing the drive letter seems to fix it but I'm hesitant to do that since this entire department (large) has always used the same letter. I don't want to "confuse" them...

I'm thinking that maybe the computer is remembering that the drive letter used to be mapped to a different location (old domain & fileserver) and it is somehow conflicting with the new mapping but I can't figure out where that setting/config would be hiding.

Any ideas? :blahclap:

theholycow
02-06-2014, 07:41 PM
:think:

stonehenge
02-06-2014, 07:43 PM
:imo

stonehenge
02-06-2014, 09:56 PM
This dude had the same problem: http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/280504-home-folder-does-not-reconnecting

No solution of course. :blah:

VmaxEngage
02-12-2014, 05:43 AM
Think I'm in over my head with these CCNA classes. I just can't keep up. There is too much to learn.

stonehenge
02-12-2014, 07:00 AM
Damn Cisco :blahclap:

VmaxEngage
02-12-2014, 07:52 AM
I feel like my head is gonna explode. Way too much, fuck I should have went with Linux

theholycow
02-12-2014, 12:42 PM
Think I'm in over my head with these CCNA classes. I just can't keep up. There is too much to learn.

The good news is once you've passed the exam you won't need that shit again until the next time you have to take the exam to renew.

stonehenge
02-12-2014, 02:02 PM
I feel like my head is gonna explode. Way too much, fuck I should have went with Linux

rm -rf /

JayBo
02-12-2014, 04:04 PM
my OS drive is filling up. Think it may be making my performance sluggish. Gonna do some cleaning up.
Just aded 4 extra GB ram to it also.

stonehenge
02-12-2014, 05:34 PM
Remove old updates imo, sometimes those shits can add up. Use the disk cleanup wizard or w/e and tell it to delete temp files and update files.

Although the update files thing may only be in W8, I forgets.

stonehenge
02-12-2014, 09:25 PM
Any of you know of an iPad all that can connect to samba/windows shares and open files?

theholycow
02-12-2014, 09:40 PM
Any of you know of an iPad all that can connect to samba/windows shares and open files?

I just checked the alls on my ipad, none of them seem to have that feature.

stonehenge
02-12-2014, 09:45 PM
Fak and fak

VmaxEngage
02-13-2014, 06:14 PM
rm -rf /

:lolwut:

those terminal commands?

stonehenge
02-13-2014, 06:21 PM
That deletes everything on your computer lol

rm = remove command

-r = recursive (all folders)

-f = force (don't ask if it's ok to delete)

/ = root (where to start deleting)

theholycow
02-13-2014, 06:25 PM
It's roughly equivalent to this command in Windows:
del /s /q c:\*.*
...except del will fail to delete some stuff, rm won't.

stonehenge
02-13-2014, 07:17 PM
rm = honey badger

theholycow
02-13-2014, 07:32 PM

rm DGAF

VmaxEngage
02-15-2014, 03:42 AM

good to know

theholycow
02-15-2014, 07:51 PM
A TV commercial came on for these:
http://origin.kaboodle.com/hi/img/c/0/0/145/8/AAAADPQwaBQAAAAAAUWMLg.jpg?v=1302449990000

They say "go to command.com" and I'm like "it's cmd.exe now!"

stonehenge
02-15-2014, 07:56 PM
:jester:

Chevrolet Fanatic
02-21-2014, 07:15 AM
Have any of you guys used Filemaker Pro? I've never used it before, mainly because it's made by Apple, but was wondering how user friendly it was.

stonehenge
02-21-2014, 04:34 PM
I've heard of it but never actually used it.

BillyJeanKing
03-12-2014, 11:22 AM
I work in IT at a university. A professor called, panicking, asking for us to send someone over immediately. She had taken it upon herself to move her computer to a new office saying "I plugged everything back in now nothing works!"

http://i.imgur.com/ir0JiyM.jpg

theholycow
03-12-2014, 01:29 PM
Yup, if you're in IT for long enough you'll get the opportunity to take that picture at least once.

stonehenge
03-12-2014, 01:56 PM
He's just trying to save electricity by creating a self-sustaining power loop. :shrug:

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

stonehenge
03-13-2014, 07:18 PM
So I originally used FF, then it went to shit and I moved to Chrome, then Chrome started acting like a bitch and I went back to FF.

Now FF is constantly sucking up all my memory (on my quad core 8gb windows box and my mac mini at work). I have to restart the browser at least once a day or deal with laggy shit.

So now I'm back on Chrome until it does something gay again. I wish I could get used to Opera because it was pretty stable when I was using it. :jester:

theholycow
03-13-2014, 07:23 PM
That memory shit is standard behavior for FF.

Honestly, every browser sucks now. Used to be FF and Opera were great, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. Then Chrome came around and was great for different stuff. Then they all went to shit.

I'm staying with Opera 12.14 for now.

stonehenge
03-13-2014, 07:31 PM
So far they seem to be alternating for me. I left Chrome last time because pages would randomly refuse to render no matter what I did. I tried older versions of the browser, dev versions, disabling plugins, allthesettings, etc and nothing worked. FF was great at that point. Now FF is back to fapping all my memory away and Chrome loads everything like it should.

Damn things.

brb Netscape Navigator

chevyrado14
03-13-2014, 07:52 PM
you guys should use internet explorer it comes preinstalled for a reason its the best!

:troll:

theholycow
03-13-2014, 07:59 PM
Actually, recent versions of IE don't suck any worse than any other modern browsers. IE11 has a few problems but those will work out soon enough.

stonehenge
03-13-2014, 08:49 PM
fts ie

theholycow
03-20-2014, 12:06 AM
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-hv2EfOA_nLg/UyoUcz3sCkI/AAAAAAAAzpk/BYQnSK2Sypw/s506/726066.jpg

chevyrado14
03-20-2014, 12:12 AM
Seems legit. I'm gonna get me some windows 21

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

stonehenge
03-20-2014, 01:21 AM
I installed Server 4016 R4 yesterday

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

theholycow
03-22-2014, 07:00 PM
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-rIjmHUC5-Vc/Uy1SWzHoAtI/AAAAAAAAIcU/DV8nGSLsDlo/w506-h439/22_3_coding.jpg

stonehenge
03-22-2014, 07:29 PM

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

theholycow
03-31-2014, 04:38 PM
https://plus.google.com/110790694134880712033/posts/caYepgPGFki

fak
:gooby:

stonehenge
03-31-2014, 04:43 PM
IT peeps will never go away completely IMO.

Something like Chromebooks with allthethings stored in the cloud will reduce the need but there will still be people that don't know how to setup/fix/upgrade/etc hardware and software.

Plus, lots of people/businesses would rather have all their websites/data/etc in-house.

On that note, brb finding new jerb.

JayBo
03-31-2014, 05:05 PM
School regrets me leaving lulz

VZW GalaxyS4

stonehenge
04-07-2014, 06:34 PM
FIDIL Fedora w/ LXDE on the Compaq Craptop

stonehenge
04-07-2014, 11:27 PM
Some background:

1) I work for the mayor's office. I am responsible for maintenance and support of all machines in my town.
2) Have three employees: FatGamer, DumbCrazy and CrossEyed. The last 2 are interns.
3) THIS HAPPENED 15 MINUTES AGO.

Most of the time we just have to reinstall some networked printer who went offline for whatever reasons, or check why there's no internet connection (usually somebody just turned off the modem 'to save power'), but sometimes whe get older machines (all desktops) with users complaining that they are slow.

Normally we just cleanup the dust, do a virus/malware scan and/or format and reinstall, since we don't use any special software, just office/winrar. Not so often we have some spare parts like a better memory, or a faster HD, and upgrade the machine the best we can.

So this machine came to us. CrossEyed pick the ticket and proceed as usual.

Suddenly...

CrossEyed: - Boss, I think this machine came toasted.

Me: - No, the client said it was ok, just running slow. I know them, they're reliable. Check again.

CE: - Boss, the machine isn't powering on.

Me: - Did you checked if the power cable was plugged in? Because you did this once...

CE: - Yeah Boss, I checked.

Me: - Did you checked if it is 110v or 220v? On their site they have both.

CE: - Yeah.

Me: - Strange. Let me see.

I go check this poor baby, and the first I smell is that sad scent of a deep fried motherboard.

Me: - CrossEyed, come here.

CE: - 'sup?

Me: - Tell me exactly what you did.

CE: - I cleaned it up...

Me: - ...and...

CE: - ...upgraded the RAM from 512MB to 2GB...

Me: - ...and...

CE: - ...switched the power supply.

Me: - and it was all ok?

CE: - Well, it was a little hard to fit but I managed it. When I turned it on it smelled burned so I turned it off.

I had to show him. He did those upgrades hundred of times.

But this time he accomplished 2 things I never saw in my life: He managed to plug a DDR2 on a DDR slot... AND plugged the power supply backwards. When it doesn't fit he does the one logical thing (on his mind) and CUT THE POWER PLUG IN ORDER TO FIT.

TL; DR: CrossEyed intern could fit an square peg on a round hole.

http://www.reddit.com/r/talesfromtechsupport/comments/22fd5w/if_it_fits_i_installs/

:fp:

Mr.Rogers
04-08-2014, 02:23 AM
So my comp wont turn on. I tried the paper clip test on the psu and it turns I plug it to the mobo and nothing. Then I put the paper clip on the green and black while its plugged into mobo and turns on. I dun think its the comp switch cuz when I press it the comp turns on. Only whem the paper clip is in the psu connector to the mobo.. any ideas

Cez★
04-08-2014, 05:13 AM
try sticking paper clip into electrical socket you connect computer to

Mr.Rogers
04-08-2014, 05:45 AM
Tryed that didnt work :cheeky:

---------- Post added at 09:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

I just ended up leavin the paper clip in the connector whete turned on the psu all fans went on then while shit is on removed the paper clip (used woden chopsticks lol) just in case then I was able to turn on the comp just fine.... wtf its like if I unplug or turn off the psu from the switch it dies unless I bypass that shit with the clip... no idea wtf is going on

theholycow
04-08-2014, 01:56 PM
So, does it work properly once you kickstart it with that paper clip?

I'd prolly just hack it, add a switch in parallel with that circuit so I don't have to reach in with paperclip.

Mr.Rogers
04-08-2014, 02:05 PM
Yes works perfectly fine once I bypass with clip. So u think its the connector from the psu to mobo?

theholycow
04-08-2014, 02:32 PM
Could be, or could be in the power supply, or whatever. Not worth replacing parts IMO. Run power switch wire to there instead of (or parallel to) motherboard.

You could try replacing the power supply.

Mr.Rogers
04-08-2014, 03:51 PM
Ah ok gotcha thnx Cao!