PDA

View Full Version : IT Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11

stonehenge
10-22-2011, 05:41 PM
You shouldn't need any router disc. If plugging straight from the modem to the computer doesn't work then its probably your modem or the cable lines or something.

theholycow
10-22-2011, 05:42 PM
If you're plugged directly into the modem without the router, then of course the router software can't find the router.

Router shouldn't need any software anyway. It should do its job independently.

stonehenge
10-22-2011, 05:47 PM
F'sho

apedestrian
10-22-2011, 06:38 PM
You shouldn't need any router disc. If plugging straight from the modem to the computer doesn't work then its probably your modem or the cable lines or something.

It's connected from the modem to my pc right now, thats the only reason its working

when i plug it into the router i get a signal but i cant connect to it :shrug:

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:16 PM ----------

Also the comcast :derp: guy said it was our old pc :hmm:

and we need this cisco cd to change the password (when i get it connected) to apeisbamfcamb isntead of 3523rfsw3tw

---------- Post added at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:18 PM ----------

this might be a :retard: question but do you think my wireless internet card could interfere with the router or something?

theholycow
10-22-2011, 07:12 PM
Should be able to reset the router to default settings, including default password, with a reset button on it.

When you say wireless card, you mean wifi, like what you'd use to connect to the router? That shouldn't interfere. If you mean a card for getting internet from a cellular phone network, I suppose that's possible.

stonehenge
10-22-2011, 09:53 PM
It's not a 3g wifi card, it's wifi to connect to his router.

Pinche ape:

ROUTERS, HOW DO THEY WORK!?
:icp:

Chevrolet Fanatic
10-23-2011, 01:38 AM
http://memegenerator.net/cache/instances/400x/10/10578/10832461.jpg

Cez★
10-23-2011, 01:40 AM
:lol2:

theholycow
10-23-2011, 01:55 AM
:repz:

stonehenge
10-23-2011, 03:35 AM
wanted to find icp pic, got lazy. :repz: @ nailz

apedestrian
10-23-2011, 04:01 AM
http://memegenerator.net/cache/instances/400x/10/10578/10832461.jpg

:serio:

my momma got a new router and its fixed now :rofl:

stonehenge
10-23-2011, 04:04 AM
probably could have fixed it :roflfp:

apedestrian
10-23-2011, 04:09 AM
:idgaf: fuck that shitty router :bird:

stonehenge
10-23-2011, 04:11 AM
was it an actual cisco or a linksys "by cisco" ?

apedestrian
10-23-2011, 04:18 AM
i think it's a linksys by cisco

http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/linksys/E1000

new one we have is a bamf netgear :datass:

stonehenge
10-23-2011, 04:31 AM
ah yeah i had a model that looked just like that, after a while the wifi would cut out randomly and had to be reset, then it stopped giving out le interwebs completely, even LAN was dead.

theholycow
10-23-2011, 11:27 AM
You'd think that, being solid state devices, routers would usually just work for a whole lot of years. In actuality, home routers are usually only good for a few years.

apedestrian
10-23-2011, 04:19 PM
Routers - How do they fucking work? pt 2 :ffuuu: :ffuuu::pissed: :suicide2:

So i woke up today turned on my pc and it was giving me the same error shit that the last router did :fp: it shows all 5 bars but then it shows the /!\ sign and says no internet connection :shrug:

So I'm guessing it's not our router :blah: :ffuuu:

theholycow
10-23-2011, 05:33 PM
Click Start -> Run
Type cmd and click <ok>
Type ipconfig /all and hit <enter>

Post IP address, default gateway, DNS servers.

Type ping whatever your gateway's IP is <enter>
Type ping whatever one of your DNS server's IP is <enter>
Type ping 8.8.8.8 <enter>
What are the results of the ping commands?

apedestrian
10-23-2011, 05:58 PM
somehow it's magically fixed, for now :blah:

pero will do that next time it shits out

stonehenge
10-23-2011, 07:23 PM
routers randomly shitting out then fixing themselves isn't that out of the ordinary. But usually the new ones don't do it right away :uhoh:

apedestrian
10-23-2011, 07:40 PM
routers randomly shitting out then fixing themselves isn't that out of the ordinary. But usually the new ones don't do it right away :uhoh:

I'm pretty sure its our modem, and our phones randomly stop working to :hmm:

stonehenge
10-23-2011, 07:49 PM
phones too!? you have cable or dsl??

apedestrian
10-23-2011, 07:50 PM
cable

stonehenge
10-23-2011, 07:54 PM
and your internet and phone lines went out at the same time?

theholycow
10-23-2011, 08:07 PM
It's not your router or your modem, it's upstream of those...the box on the outside of your house where the cable service comes in, the line to the pole, something on the pole, something beyond.

apedestrian
10-23-2011, 08:12 PM
around the same time :shrug: sometimes my phone works but my internet doesn't

I'll be fucking pissed if it doesn't work on tuesday :pissedfist:

---------- Post added at 07:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 PM ----------

It's not your router or your modem, it's upstream of those...the box on the outside of your house where the cable service comes in, the line to the pole, something on the pole, something beyond.

the comcast guy was checking all the lines outside when he over yesterady:hmm:

apedestrian
10-23-2011, 11:03 PM
So my internet shit out again and i called comcast. the bish said the comcast guy that came here yesterday changed the line connections and. andsince I'm getting a connection on this computer from the router that she can't send another comcast guy over

:suicide2:

theholycow
10-23-2011, 11:49 PM
A connection between the computer and the router has nothing to do with the connection between the modem and the cable company.

So does your internet work continuously sin falta when one computer is plugged directly into the modem?

apedestrian
10-24-2011, 12:17 AM
It was working when i had it plugged into the router. now i can't get internet without plugging this computer directly into the modem :blah:

---------- Post added at 11:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 PM ----------

i did what you said on the last page with the command stuff, pero i just took a picture it :roflshrug:
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i466/stevewiese2/rdhfefef.jpg

theholycow
10-24-2011, 12:39 AM
You didn't get the output of ipconfig /all in the screenshot.

I'd guess the following:
67.176.140.1 is your gateway
67.87.72.44 is your DNS

If so, there is an easy solution. Manually configure your DNS to use free public DNS servers instead of trying and failing to use your ISP's DNS.

Instructions:
http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using.html
In short, you get to your IP settings, choose to manually define DNS, and enter the DNS addresses you'll use.

Use one of each, Google and OpenDNS.
and

JayBo
10-25-2011, 06:26 PM
I get this when i try to add a new distribution group.. WTF..

Summary: 1 item(s). 0 succeeded, 1 failed.
Elapsed time: 00:00:00

Math
Failed

Error:
The Exchange server address list service failed to respond. This could be because of an address list or email address policy configuration error.

Exchange Management Shell command attempted:
enable-DistributionGroup -Identity 'Webster.k12.ga.us/Users/Math' -Alias 'Math'

Elapsed Time: 00:00:00

theholycow
10-25-2011, 06:52 PM
Start -> Run
services.msc

Check to see if all the normal Microsoft Exchange services are running. Try starting any that aren't running and see if that helps. If it's ok to do so, reboot all the Exchange servers.

theholycow
10-26-2011, 03:06 PM
So, did you fix the problem?

I'm fscking around with deploying printers via GPO yet again. I followed these directions:

Print Management to deploy printers
===========================
1. Open the Administrative Tools folder, and then double-click Print Management.

2. In the Print Management tree, under the appropriate print server, click Printers.

3. In the Results pane, right-click the printer that you want to deploy, and then click Deploy with Group Policy.

4. In the Deploy with Group Policy dialog box, click Browse, and then choose or create a new GPO for storing the printer connections.

5. Click OK.

6. Specify whether to deploy the printer connections to users, or to computers:

To deploy to groups of computers so that all users of the computers can access the printers, select the computers that this GPO applies to (per machine) check box.

To deploy to groups of users so that the users can access the printers from any computer they log onto, select the users that this GPO applies to (per user) check box.

I also ran PushPrinterConnections.exe on the client machine.

GPResult shows that the printer is deployed, but it's not. :blah:

stonehenge
10-26-2011, 03:11 PM
fuck printers
and its love/hate with GPOs but fuck them too right now

theholycow
10-26-2011, 03:14 PM
I think it's being a bitch about the driver...the client is 64 bit 2008R2, the server is 32 bit 2008. I keep trying to add the 64 bit driver to the server but it claims that every driver I try is not the right one.

theholycow
10-26-2011, 06:21 PM
:horyshet:

It worked!
:spit:
:notbad:
:awwyeah:
:ujelly:

JayBo
10-26-2011, 06:57 PM
Start -> Run
services.msc

Check to see if all the normal Microsoft Exchange services are running. Try starting any that aren't running and see if that helps. If it's ok to do so, reboot all the Exchange servers.

Did not work :emo:

theholycow
10-26-2011, 07:03 PM
:ffuuu:

stonehenge
10-27-2011, 04:55 PM
Sysadmin top tip, Build a tiny junk box that runs htop at all times, or tail -f an active log file, while you might very well be working just fine, furrowing your brow at what looks like the matrix always equals productivity, and a don't want to know any details situation.

I once worked for a guy who took every monitor that went bad or got discarded or whatnot, he stacked them all up (back when CRTs were big) to create a massive wall of monitors, he set them all up to be actively humming around on very complex looking stuff. He confided in me that ever since he installed this operation his budgets are always passed, he never gets a negative review, never gets oversight, etc etc. He does the same work he always did, on the real work PC, but to an untrained observer it is now 1000x more important and critical he does it, while before he was constantly on the chopping block as "The guy who never does anything" It was so effective they hired (young me) because he was clearly so busy he needed an assistant.

Edit: And to clarify, I'm not advocating dicking off here, its just sometimes what is really work (Staring at a single static line of code for five minutes with your brain smoking and your anger levels rising ;) doesn't look nearly as impressive as what people expect our work to be. And when someone walks in and asks why you are staring at a wall pondering a problem, its often pretty difficult to come up with a good reason that a layman will understand for whom actively toiling=productivity.

:chin:

theholycow
10-27-2011, 05:10 PM
Great idea, and you could even display useful stuff that you normally don't bother to watch just because it's not useful enough to be worth making a special effort to see.

I did have to read the whole thing before I could understand that first line...major syntax failure there. Here it is cleaned up:
Sysadmin top tip:
Build a tiny junk box that runs htop at all times, or tail -f an active log file. The sight of you furrowing your brow at what looks like The Matrix always looks like productivity and an "I don't want to know any details" situation.

stonehenge
10-27-2011, 05:15 PM
yeah i read it a couple times and was like :wat: but got the point by the time i read the whole thing :jester:

Chevrolet Fanatic
10-30-2011, 04:11 AM
That bank contacted me again after I declined, they upped the salary to $36,000 now so I'll probably take it.

stonehenge
10-30-2011, 07:54 AM
bank wants nailz pen0r

btw don't let them know you been playing Pay Day :uhoh:

Chevrolet Fanatic
10-31-2011, 06:12 AM
:lol:

Them: Any experience working in a bank?

Me: Well...

stonehenge
10-31-2011, 06:13 AM
Me: haz robbed e-banks before :uhohshrug:

I mean, haz experience in vault workings, alarms, and "security" of computah terminals :sneaky:

theholycow
11-08-2011, 07:46 PM
Boss calls me about a problem. I tell him I'll apply updates and reboot servers.

Updates are downloading when he calls and says whatever I did worked. :uhoh:

Then everything dies. :fp:

stonehenge
11-08-2011, 07:51 PM
read first line and was like :chin:

read second and was like :rofl2: :better:

then read third :scared:

theholycow
11-08-2011, 07:55 PM
I was like
:scared:
in the second line. I hadn't done anything yet when he said it was fixed, and the updates meant I'd have to reboot soon.

stonehenge
11-08-2011, 08:02 PM
well at the second I assumed it was just a hiccup in the network or something :roflshrug:

stonehenge
11-09-2011, 06:16 PM
cao, i know you aren't a gamer but I think you'll get a good :fp: out of this:

http://i.imgur.com/R2w1d.jpg

theholycow
11-09-2011, 07:04 PM
:roflfp:

---------- Post added at 01:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 PM ----------

Student leaves laptop. I diagnose failed hard drive, tell him to buy new drive, bring me recovery discs, I'll take care of it.

Weeks later he brings drive and discs. I install, but Windows can't update. I download SP1 manually and it won't install. I take the hard drive out to run chkdsk from USB.

By now a day has gone by. He comes in wanting his laptop. I try to explain that it's not working right. He asks if internet and Word work, I say yes but it's still not right. I try to explain what an error is but he doesn't understand and he gets worried that the new hard drive he bought is defective. Etc, etc, etc. What an awkward conversation.

stonehenge
11-16-2011, 05:00 PM
Cox had some super-outages last night. I guess their DNS servers took a shit. All of a sudden last night I could get to AOT but every other page I tried (photobucket, netflix, imgur, google, etc) gave me a DNS error. Not sure why AOT was special.

So I just changed my DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4 (Google's DNS servers) and everything went back to normal. Changed it on my PS3 and Netflix worked again.

Coworker was saying he tried calling Cox and couldn't get through for a while. Once he did, he was on hold for over an hour AFTER getting thru the automated system they have setup. Once he got to an actual person, he was told that they are having major server problems, have lots of people working on it, and that the outage covers multiple states.

If only peeps knew how to change le DNS.

:bishplz:

theholycow
11-16-2011, 05:02 PM
:high5:

Maybe I have my DNS set that way and that's why I didn't notice. I doubt those Cox have separate DNS servers for different regions. I do tend to use Google DNS and OpenDNS.

stonehenge
11-16-2011, 05:38 PM
I know googling quickly showed that some peeps in AZ, CA, FL, and VA were complaining. So it must cover both ends of the country.

Not sure if it's still down, maybe I'll change my DNS back to automatic when I get home. Probably not though, I hated getting Cox errors when it couldn't find a page. Fgtry.

stonehenge
11-21-2011, 08:11 PM
I'm ready to throw this 2008R2 server out le window.

We have a few non-domain users that need to map drives (mostly laptops). They map fine but then act completely retarded. It only happens when they are mapped on Vista/7 boxes. XP and Mac have no problems mapping and using drives like normal.

Here is an example of one directory I am testing with. I am mapping the users homedir. On the server, this is its location:

E:\Department\Users\derp

E:\Department is a namespace, lets call it DPT. So when domain machines want to get to their homedir via path they can just enter \\DPT\Users\derp. That namespace has share permissions and security permissions for Admin users only because we don't want derp and derpina looking through everyone's homedirs and shares.

Then the Users directory is automatically "shared" since it is under the DPT namespace. It's permissions are the same as the Department directory since I don't want them browsing other users homedirs (or even the list of them).

Then Derp's actual homedir has the same admin-only properties except that user is also added to both the security and share permissions of the directory, with full access.

As far as I can tell this should be correct. If I map the drive on XP or Mac, I can go through these steps just fine:

- Create new text file.
- Rename text file to fts.txt
- Open text file, type "lulz", save, close.
- Delete text file.

When I map the drive on W7 using the exact same path and credentials, this happens:

- Create new text file (success)
- Rename to fts.txt (fail) (You need permission to perform this action. You require permission from DOMAIN\derp to make changes to this file.) Note: I mapped the drive as DOMAIN\derp....
- Open text file, type "lulz", save, close. (success)
- Delete text file. (success)

So wtf how can I have permission to create, edit, delete, but not rename!? I have tried every registry tweak and setting I can find on google and nothing has fixed it. It is driving me crazy.

Oh and if I go on the server and right click derps homedir and go to properties > security > advanced > effective permissions and type in derps username then every single box is checked.

:fulloffuck:

---------- Post added at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 PM ----------

Oh and something I forgot to mention. As a "test" I changed the share permissions on DPT to allow read/write for Everyone. Once I did that, I have the same fucked permissions but when I go to rename, it says "The file or directory doesn't exist" and on the server it copies the file from "/DPT/Users/derp/new text document.txt" to "/DPT/new text document.txt"

:what?:

theholycow
11-21-2011, 08:26 PM
Works fine for XP and Mac, look at security policies and shit on the clients, not the server.

As time goes on I thought I'd get used to 7/Vista. I figured the kinks would get ironed out, tips and tricks would become common knowledge, shit would work. I was wrong...no amount of exposure and learning has helped. The reality is that XP is still the best MS OS for desktops.

I say they should re-mainstream XP. Coca Cola did it...New Coke failed and they went to Coca Cola Classic. Microsoft could renew their efforts at XP, update the minor things that are finally beginning to show their age, and have a real winner. Unfortunately they did a great job marketing 7 (unlike Vista) and people won't want XP.

stonehenge
11-21-2011, 09:46 PM
We don't have ANY group policies running on this server so far. It could be a local policy of some sort but we don't custom set any of those either and I'm running a clean install of W7 minus a webcam program I was testing for someone. The same issue happens on a variety of machines, some with OEM installs, some with our edu install.

I guess it's time to go one-by-one thru the local policies fml

I like W7 at home but I hate it at work.

theholycow
11-21-2011, 09:58 PM
Yup. We've had trouble with default W7 local policies.

stonehenge
11-21-2011, 10:12 PM
:facepalm:

stonehenge
11-22-2011, 05:16 PM
Cao, in my example with the main share and then a subdir for users and homedirs in there, should the users have any security permissions on the users dir and the main share?

I'm thinking of redoing all the permissions to make them correct but need to figure out the best way to set this up.

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 AM ----------

did i mention that i hate windows at work?

theholycow
11-22-2011, 05:19 PM
I have a setup just like that. The parent folder has these special permissions allowed for everyone:
Traverse folder / execute file
List folder / read data
Read attributes
Read extended attributes
Read permissions
You can probably get away with just Traverse folder / execute file.

All other filesystem-level permissions are neither explicitly allowed nor denied. I think I have no share permissions defined.

stonehenge
11-22-2011, 07:51 PM
:hmm: ok, gonna need to redo all the permissions at some point when no one is using it

That could be where some of the issues are coming from, I don't think "Everyone" has permissions on anything rofl

---------- Post added at 11:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 AM ----------

about to upgrade a server from 08 to 08 R2

:chuy:

theholycow
11-22-2011, 08:04 PM
I think the permissions I mentioned are set to "Not inheritable", too. You can add those permissions live without any chance of knocking anyone offline.

Doing in-place upgrade to R2? Tell me more.

stonehenge
11-22-2011, 08:07 PM
Yeah but it's a different server. Used by a lab for some weird shit they do. It isn't a DC or anything. I think they use it for terminal services.

About to start the install, hopefully R2 doesn't introduce any ratardness for any of their programs.

stonehenge
11-23-2011, 07:40 PM
I fuckin' love RDP

that is all.

theholycow
11-23-2011, 10:21 PM
I love the protocol and back-end of the client, but I am never quite 100% happy with the client interface. I have hacked around with .RDP files to make the best of it, at least.

stonehenge
11-23-2011, 10:37 PM
ah yeah i wish you could have a nice list of servers saved, perhaps even save credentials and password protect the whole program or something

stonehenge
11-28-2011, 05:05 PM
Okay, giving Everyone read permissions fixed a couple issues we had but I am still having the Non-domain W7 problem.

When a non-domain W7 box maps a share, they can create, delete, open, edit, but can't rename. As a side effect, some programs won't save changes (because I think they work by saving a temp file and then RENAMING it when the user tells it to save).

If I join the box to the domain, the drive has correct permissions, even if I log into the local account and map. So I don't have to be logged into the domain for it to work, the machine just has to be part of the domain. That's fine for laptops and whatnot, I can join them and then they can continue logging in locally.

But it won't work for users who use their personal computers or for users on other domains (we have a few domains in our college). So I need to figure this shit out.

It's really pissing me off.

theholycow
11-28-2011, 05:08 PM
:fulloffuck:

stonehenge
11-28-2011, 05:53 PM
Yes. The share works when logged into the domain, on a local account on a W7 machine that is joined to the domain, on a Mac, and on XP (regardless of domain). Just refuses to work on W7 when the machine isn't joined to THIS domain.

POS.

So many local policies to look through and Google isn't helping me at all today.

---------- Post added at 09:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 AM ----------

When i try to rename a file on the share, it gives me the error:

File Access Denied

You need permissions to perform this action

You require permission from DOMAIN\user to make changes to this file

Of course the domain and user are the actual domain im using and username im testing with. I mapped with the credentials for that user so I SHOULD have permission. I've even tried adding the credentials to W7's "Credential Manager" and it doesn't help.

:pissedoff:

---------- Post added at 09:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 AM ----------

Hmm when I right click the share and go to properties, there isn't a security tab or anything (might be normal for a share, idk) but there is a DFS tab. It lists the \\SERVER\dept namespace but says "Unreachable" :chin:

Maybe adding SERVER to the hosts file will help. BRB

---------- Post added at 09:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 AM ----------

well that didn't do shit

dfw burn this bish to the ground and setup linux/samba server

theholycow
11-28-2011, 06:17 PM
DFS? That's out of my range of expertise...I've had a little bit of experience with it and I want to run all our filesharing here on it, but that's all.

stonehenge
11-28-2011, 06:28 PM
I can't figure this shit out, making me want to quit job and become vagabond jumping from train to train with no cares in the world.

theholycow
11-28-2011, 06:37 PM
become vagabond jumping from train to train with no cares in the world.

Artist: Dierks Bentley (feat. The Del McCoury Band)
Song: Train Travelin'
Album: What Was I Thinkin

Everytime I hear the whistle whine
From a lonesome locomotive, comin down the line
It carries me back to another place in time
When train travelin across the land was the only way to fly

Am I a fool to think it glamorous
Box-Carring like a hobo, it must have been rough
But a simple way of life is what it really means to me
When we weren't so dependent on money to be free

I hear you train, are you travelin my way
Won't you let me ride your rails right back to yesterday
Who knows what I could see from that ole time machine
But there you go again train travelin,
There you go again train travelin

I'm lying on a rotten wooden floor
Smell yesterday's whiskey here rattlin' at the door
A railroad man lookin' for me, I'm scared as I can be
I open my eyes and realize it's just another dream

But there you go again train travelin

oPPlckzQsd4

stonehenge
11-30-2011, 06:14 PM
Fixed the issue with a lmhosts modification

:yesss:

I had previously tried setting up lmhosts like so:

69.69.69.69 lulz.lolyumad.edu

when it needed to be:

69.69.69.69 lulzboxname

Adding that allows the non-domain box to correctly communicate with DFS and now everything works like sekz on a rollercoaster.

theholycow
11-30-2011, 07:25 PM
<-- Never touched lmhosts.

stonehenge
11-30-2011, 08:07 PM
i've never had to do that before

to get domain machines to play 100% with the linux domain, we have some lmhosts entries. It is part of our initial install.

But to simply map a drive, we don't have to do this shit on anything besides W7 w/ this new 2008 R2 domain. FTS.

stonehenge
12-01-2011, 04:12 PM
rick, do you ever use robocopy?

theholycow
12-01-2011, 04:28 PM
Not often, but I have used it occasionally when there are specific issues I need to deal with.

stonehenge
12-01-2011, 04:30 PM
Damn, nvm then.

I set up a robocopy scheduled task to copy from a specific directory on the box to a mapped drive that sits on a different server. The task fails every time. I think it is acting like it doesn't have access to the shared drive even though i'm running it as admin and the drive is mapped by admin. w/e i'll figure it out.

stonehenge
12-05-2011, 11:46 PM
Nailz, did you ever get the bank yawb?

stonehenge
12-12-2011, 10:21 PM
hOxA1l1pQIw

:insane:

stonehenge
01-17-2012, 07:42 PM
http://imgur.com/Ydo4J

:scared:

theholycow
01-23-2012, 04:31 PM
I have some users who insist on using the worst passwords ever. I wish I could login as them and send emails to everyone saying "I've got the dumbest password ever, and now I've been hacked." http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv315/theh0lyc0w/EmotiCows/cow-shakefist.gif

stonehenge
01-23-2012, 05:42 PM
I hate when peeps are like "hey I can't login to the domain, my username is derpington and my password is derpLULZ32"

:pissedoff: I DONT WANT YOUR DAMN PASSWORD, IF I NEEDED IT, ID RESET THAT SHIT MYSELF

Although derpLULZ32 is a decent password :chin: more than 8, upper/lower/numbers, no dictionary words

theholycow
01-23-2012, 05:59 PM
I don't like resetting passwords for my own use, then I have to tell them what their new password is.

stonehenge
01-23-2012, 06:06 PM
I don't do it unless I HAVE to but I'd rather do it than know what their password is.

theholycow
01-23-2012, 06:18 PM
:word:

I usually avoid needing to know their password. If I end up with their password it's almost never by my request.

stonehenge
01-23-2012, 06:47 PM
:word:

JayBo
01-24-2012, 10:17 PM
Okay.. has question. Has searched, no help.

Heres my deal.
I had our Student INformation System database and web-based software housed on a server that I maintained. Well Pearson was requiring a huge upgrade, and rather than spend tons of money on new server, new copy of server 2008 and all the CAL's, I opted to have Person host it for us. They migrated everything from our server to theirs and everything works fine. We have a new domain and everything. OK. The tricky part.

When It was housed in the building, I had the domain (powerschool.webster.k12.ga.us) set up. that was public, and internal. Had the DNS set, all that BS. Ok. problem now.

the domain has changed to websterbobcats.powerschool.com

The Powerschool server I housed had its own Web hosting software, I didn't have to use IIS oR anything to make the webpage public. Just typed in the IP address of the server, or the domain (powerschool.webster.k12.ga.us) and it went to the page.

Ok, now that the domain has changed, I want to somehow redirect anyone that types powerschool.webster.ga.us blah blah to the new domain.

I'm not sure how to make IIS do this. I've tried creating a webpage called Powerschool.webster.k12.ga.us and make it redirect to the new domain, but I'm forgetting something.

Is there a DNS change I need to make since I deleted the other one? If I just do the DNS entry on my DNS machine to point powerschool.webster.k12.ga.us to the new IP of the hosted solution, the SSL ceritificates fuck up and it doesn't want to let you in.

So...what are me options?

fatkidkustomz
01-24-2012, 10:44 PM
So my friend has blessed me with the task of fixing his laptop. According to Geek Squad, they wanted $300 to fix it, and it has "25 traces of infection" on it.

Long story short, I think this thing is fuxxored. I can't even get it to connect to my router. I've run Anti-Malware Bytes from my flash drive on it and it only found 1 questionable file. I've tried various other tricks and nothing seems to work. I tried to roll back to a previous restore point, but there aren't any (WTF). Pretty sure I'd be better off wiping and re-installing. But, as you all know, manufacturers don't feel that you need a Windows CD with a new laptop.

Any ideas on what I should do with this thing? The machine is an Asus K40IJ/K50IJ Series.

I'm just frustrated with it, so I know I'm missing something simple, but it's been a fight with this thing.

stonehenge
01-24-2012, 10:54 PM
Kr0ndix, hmm so it does boot though? Look around the start menu, I'm pretty sure if it didn't come with a disc then it should give you the option to burn one somewhere. Each manufacturer is different though. Definitely sounds like that thing deserves a wipe. On the other hand, cao is pretty efficient at removing shit instead of formatting so he may have another idea.

Jay, can't help you there. The other sysadmin is the one who deals with DNS, forwarding, domain names, etc, etc here :/

JayBo
01-24-2012, 11:09 PM
this IIS stuff is kicking le ass..

Do not understand.

stonehenge
01-24-2012, 11:24 PM
Don't even know what IIS stands for :fp:

---------- Post added at 03:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

Hopefully http://static4.fjcdn.com/comments/combo+_083f829917ef6038805ed316bf3d65ff.jpg can halp

fatkidkustomz
01-25-2012, 12:40 AM
Kr0ndix, hmm so it does boot though? Look around the start menu, I'm pretty sure if it didn't come with a disc then it should give you the option to burn one somewhere. Each manufacturer is different though. Definitely sounds like that thing deserves a wipe. On the other hand, cao is pretty efficient at removing shit instead of formatting so he may have another idea.

I've got the option to burn a backup image, but I don't think that's going to help since the computer is already crippled. It's like it's in some sort of safe mode. It's got W7 on it, but the taskbar and start menu look like Windows 2K... the grey blocky shit. The tops of the windows look normal though.

---------- Post added at 06:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:50 PM ----------

Actually, I lied. The tops of the windows don't look normal.

Also, I went and tried to change the theme just for shits and giggles, thinking maybe it was switched to look like that, and ALL the W7 themes are greyed out. Strange.

stonehenge
01-25-2012, 12:54 AM
Yeah... that sounds like something that has caused enough shit that I'd nuke it

theholycow
01-25-2012, 02:00 AM
FKK:
The theme issue may be a setting in System Properties -> Advanced -> Performance Settings.

Do make those recovery CDs like Juan said. Also note if there's a recovery option built-in that you just hit F10 or something for when booting.

For cleaning nasty infections, nothing beats taking the drive out and slaving it to another machine...it's hard to clean a running system, easier to clean one that's off. If you can't then boot in safe mode and use Autoruns and HijackThis.
http://live.sysinternals.com/autoruns.exe
http://www.filehippo.com/download_hijackthis
Exercise extreme prejudice, since it sounds like it's already a lost cause. Still in safe mode, run malwarebytes and Spybot and whatever else.

Juan: IIS is Microsoft's web server daemon, Internet Information Server...apache is better :imo

Jay:
The best solution is probably to change the DNS and negotiate the proper certificate with Pearson. However, trying to convince someone to put in the right SSL certificate is always a huge pain in the balls. As such I'd say your strategy is good.

My boss usually deals with IIS stuff (other than certificates) and I think he does forwarding as an option in IIS interface settings for the site, not in an HTML/ASP/whatever file as content. For an immediate short-term solution while working on the long term solution I'd just put up a page with a link to the new address that says "Please bookmark the new address" or something.

I'd probably install a smaller basic httpd instead of IIS, or at least the Windows version of apache.

---------- Post added at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 PM ----------

Jay, did the old software run its own server, or did it just operate through IIS? IIS won't work as long if old software is bound to port 80.

JayBo
01-25-2012, 02:50 PM
Yeah, the old software ran its own server. That server doesn't even have IIS installed on it. It is actually running on our old Exchange server.

As of right now, the old software/server is not being used. the machine is nothing more than a empty server (i mean it still has the software on it, but it's not being used)

I tried to install IIS, but it wanted some damn CD's that I couldn't find.
So, is there a simpler method??

theholycow
01-25-2012, 02:55 PM
IIS shouldn't need any CDs you can't find. Do you have a volume licensing agreement? You should be able to download everything you need from the Microsoft Volume Licensing Servicing site.

You could look at these:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_lightweight_web_servers

I vaguely remember hearing good things about this one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lighttpd

JayBo
01-25-2012, 03:06 PM
Well Rick,

Come to find out, This server already has Apache 2.2 installed on it.

I just installed some updates and had to restart the machine..

The apache is simple enough to do the job, right?

I'm reading about those you listed now though.

theholycow
01-25-2012, 03:39 PM
I liek apache. Since you're only serving a single static page with a redirect, it's kinda like using a cclb 3500 dually to drive a few hundred feet to the corner to get milk, but that's fine.

stonehenge
01-25-2012, 03:59 PM
Would roll 1ton beast to get malk idgaf

JayBo
01-25-2012, 09:08 PM
Well, I'm trying to get it to work, but the damn thing wont start APACHE services lol

theholycow
01-25-2012, 09:34 PM
As long as another process is bound to port 80, apache won't be able to run.

JayBo
01-25-2012, 10:02 PM
services started.

and now I dunno how to make the webpage accessible lulz.

I'm no good at hosting or running web servers..

---------- Post added at 04:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 PM ----------

Like... where do I set the META commands? In the httpd file??

theholycow
01-25-2012, 10:19 PM
Meta stuff goes in HTML files.

httpd.conf doesn't have anything you'll need to mess with except the folder where your HTML files go.

stonehenge
01-25-2012, 10:37 PM
This ticket came in at 10:23 this morning:

Good morning!
We have some new people in the office and I was wondering if you could assign them some passwords and user ids. Thanks.

So the tech replied at 10:24 (foo was fast):

Can you let us know who these new users are?

No replies from the person who submitted the ticket. :fp:

:retard:

JayBo
01-26-2012, 03:21 PM
Meta stuff goes in HTML files.

httpd.conf doesn't have anything you'll need to mess with except the folder where your HTML files go.

Ok.. So I put the HTML files in that same directory? the CONF folder?
I'm not quite sure how to make the HTML files public.

It's a simple, simple command that I want to run..but I'm lost as to where to do this. I'm not a good web server guru

stonehenge
01-26-2012, 03:33 PM
The http conf file should include the path where your HTML files go. Ours are all Linux so I don't know where the default is on Win

JayBo
01-26-2012, 03:40 PM
Let me read le file..

stonehenge
01-27-2012, 05:21 PM
Cao, I'm learning this windows domain shit as I go :rofl2: I have a question. Right now we have normal users and administrator. Techs use their normal accounts for troubleshooting user issues and log in with administrator to do things that require it or to join computers to the domain.

I'm semi-uncomfortable with every one of our techs knowing the password to administrator because they can remote into the server and screw things up. They are a pretty smart groups, not many derps, so I doubt they will but I still kinda DNW. Also, we have lots of people going around using the server admin password. Would rather it be something not as many people know.

So what I'm asking is, what groups does someone need to be in so that they can do administrative tasks and add/remove from the domain but NOT be able to log into the server and fuck with shit?

theholycow
01-27-2012, 05:30 PM
Providing limited administration privileges isn't something I'm really great at. IIRC there's something about a right-click and "Delegate privileges" or some such. You'd have to google it.

However, you could create fullly privileged domain administrator accounts for each tech. They'd have the same access but a better audit trail, so if the fecal matter hits the multi-bladed rotating air circulation device then you'll know whose fault it is. That's how we roll here.

I guess if there's not a lot of servers, you could set local or group policies on the servers to deny local logon.

stonehenge
01-27-2012, 06:45 PM
:chin:

We also have one department that is on our domain but we don't do tech support for (dont ask :blahclap:). So I made an account for their tech so he can login and troubleshoot and whatnot. I'd like him to be able to join new/wiped boxes to our domain but there's no way in hell I'm giving someone else our admin password. That's another reason I was looking into limited privz.

Thanks cao, will look into it a little more later. Busy setting up new groups and shit for a lab that needs like 200 accounts :eekclap:

JayBo
01-31-2012, 03:09 PM
Man. We had 30 desktops w Vista Business on them.
They are like 5 yrs old or so. Starting to die, or have corrupted boot sectors..

and I can't find the Vista DVD.

:rofl2:

theholycow
01-31-2012, 03:23 PM
:laughabove:

JayBo
01-31-2012, 03:26 PM
had = HAVE!

I'm looking for it now and it's gone. Gone like a freight train. Gone like yesterday. Gone like a soldier in the Civil War. bang bang.

theholycow
01-31-2012, 03:45 PM
:thankyou:

I needed a change of pace in my music so I'll feed that song into Slacker, that should work out decently well.

chevyrado14
02-03-2012, 02:54 PM
http://i.imgur.com/LCCCt.jpg

what would cause the arrows to disappear on my scroll bar? Ive noticed some other things missing in chrome too.

stonehenge
02-03-2012, 02:55 PM
It only happens in Chrome?

Also, you don't need to black out your incognito pr0n windows down there, we don't judge.

chevyrado14
02-03-2012, 02:57 PM
lol its work stuff. no they are back wtf? yea only chrome as fart as i can tell. still show up everywhere else like email.

theholycow
02-03-2012, 03:18 PM
Transient problem with your video card driver. Rebooting will probably fix it. Could also try updating driver.

I see you operate like me, all the modern interface bullshit turned off, old school style.

stonehenge
02-03-2012, 03:20 PM
i slip into OG mode every now and then and disable aero but after a while i go back because it's so pretty when its transparent with a decent wallpaper mmm

chevyrado14
02-03-2012, 03:21 PM
running old school makes this comp actually usable lol. its an old pos dell still on xp. ill try the drivers. its weird tho they come and go.

JayBo
02-03-2012, 03:47 PM
Hmm. Has script set to pull icon from set location to desktop. is not working.

FGTRY

theholycow
02-03-2012, 03:50 PM
One more idea: Could try updating Chrome. Also see if Chrome has different skins.

---------- Post added at 09:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 AM ----------

Jay, does the script run as a user with appropriate privileges for reading the source and writing to the destination?

stonehenge
02-03-2012, 06:22 PM
running old school makes this comp actually usable lol. its an old pos dell still on xp. ill try the drivers. its weird tho they come and go.

Oh on XP I'd set it to classic all the time, or haxx it and put a nice simple theme on it. Never liked the blue/green XP bar, FTS.

Hmm. Has script set to pull icon from set location to desktop. is not working.

FGTRY

Tell staff/students to stop being fgts and learn how to use the start menu and shit

theholycow
02-03-2012, 06:41 PM
Speaking of classic styles and the start menu, I've just recently stopped using the Windows 95-style classic start menu and now use the regular one that has My Computer and All Programs and shit. Only reason is because of My Computer being there...could just as easily stick a shortcut in old-school menu I guess. FIDIL.

MikeH
02-04-2012, 04:50 AM
Parents got a virus on their computer apparently, and I told them to install malwarebytes to see if it would remove it. Well apparently any time they try and install a program the computer restarts itself. Both my parents are computer retarded so getting useful info is nearly impossible. I have no clue what's going on, but any of you guys have any suggestions?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

stonehenge
02-04-2012, 05:05 AM
Try malwarebytes in safe mode

MikeH
02-04-2012, 05:06 AM
Just told him that, not sure he can figure it out though

theholycow
02-04-2012, 01:29 PM
It's probably not something they'll be able to handle without a lot of painful telephone hand-holding.

stonehenge
02-04-2012, 05:44 PM
Yeah, could need combofix or some other virus-specific removal tools

MikeH
02-04-2012, 06:14 PM
They're pretty much SOL, told them to do a few things and they couldn't figure it out.

stonehenge
02-04-2012, 06:27 PM
That's how mine would be. I'd have to end up doing it.

theholycow
02-14-2012, 02:34 AM
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-McK9ok2JsmU/TzdIj8DcuSI/AAAAAAAAlds/ECcw1l0xJHs/s800/tech.jpg

stonehenge
02-14-2012, 03:03 AM

VmaxEngage
03-04-2012, 10:17 PM
Ok guys, I need some help

I have a HP Pavilion dv5-1010us that is a few years old. It running Vista like a piece of shit.

Since it is out of warranty now, I was wondering if this can handle Win 7? I want to format it, wipe it clean and do a fresh install. Here are the specs.

Intel Core 2 Duo P7350 @ 2ghz
320GB HD
4096MB DDR2 SDRAM (2 Dimm)
nVidia GeForce 9200M GS with 256MB DDR2

Is this capable of running Win 7 efficiently or should I wipe and reinstall vista? The damn thing is slow as shit, has errors constantly and I'm fucking tired of dealing with it.

Also, is this thing upgradeable? Graphics/Memory/etc? I might be going to Wyoming for 6 months and won't have a computer unless I bring this piece of shit.

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 PM ----------

or how about Linux? I've never used it

stonehenge
03-04-2012, 10:21 PM
If it runs Vista then it will run W7 equally or better. Go for it.

Linux will run on anything but you'll have to be ready to give up a few apps and almost all games. Some can be run thru Wine or VM but they could be screwy.

You could install W7 and Linux on dual boot if you want to run one and play with the other.

MikeH
03-04-2012, 10:26 PM
word to what Juan said

stonehenge
03-04-2012, 10:27 PM
:cheeky:

(tapa)

VmaxEngage
03-05-2012, 12:25 AM
Ok so it will run 7. Awesome.

When I insert the disk will it do a complete and total format? I know this piece has virus and all kinds of shit on it.

MikeH
03-05-2012, 12:34 AM
It should give the option for a clean install. Not sure if you could do an upgrade even if you wanted to.

VmaxEngage
03-05-2012, 02:11 AM
Ok, i'll try it tonight

---------- Post added at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

Piece of shit. I've tried to clean install 2x and it keeps finishing, restarting, and starting the install over.

Cez★
03-05-2012, 02:16 AM
add some fire

VmaxEngage
03-05-2012, 03:16 AM
:lol: this thing is so damn slow. took the CD out, tried to go to bios, instead it went on to try to finish the install

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

Finally got that bish. Runs like a champ :fuckyeah:

stonehenge
03-05-2012, 03:38 AM
Yeah when it reboots, its supposed to boot to the HD and finish. Yours kept going to CD over and over :pow:

(tapatalk)

VmaxEngage
03-05-2012, 04:04 AM
Yea, fail comp.

Got all drivers installed, gonna update my graphics, this bitch is faster than when I bought it

vista sucks ass

stonehenge
03-05-2012, 04:58 AM
Word, they're pretty similar but W7 > Vista f'sho

(tapatalk)

VmaxEngage
03-05-2012, 06:11 AM
f'sho :fistbump:

stonehenge
03-20-2012, 04:41 PM
Was just installing an IE update on a VM that was running on a server that was installing an IE update.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-yXZkU15if_k/TahcHXo6_PI/AAAAAAAApYo/19XGZUfucj0/s640/906_inception.jpg

theholycow
03-20-2012, 05:47 PM
http://memedump.com/d/1225-8/yo-dawg-xzibit-48.jpg

Cez★
03-20-2012, 07:38 PM
:lol2:

apedestrian
04-02-2012, 07:00 AM
i gotsa problem :shrug:

i have 3 files on me desktop (i have a extension/addon that lets me dl utoob songs) so i tried to dl some songs and 3 of the 6 or so songs didn't work when/dl right?. when i try to delete them it says "this is no longer located in c/users/ape/desktopo/ veryify the items loction and try again later :shrug: I've searched pretty much every file for it's location

stonehenge
04-02-2012, 03:05 PM
I had that happen once. I don't remember how I got around it.

Some googling says you can try these:

Right click on the folder/file and then select "Cut." THEN you can right click on the desktop background and hit refresh. The folder/file should go away.

Open Command Prompt in your Start menu by typing 'Command'
in the search box, then right-click it and select Run as
Administrator.
Then type 'cd %userprofile%\desktop' and press enter, that should take
you to your desktop folder. (If the file is located in another folder
you will have to navigate there yourself, this is not a treatise on
using the Command Prompt)
Type 'dir' to view the contents of the directory, which for this
example would be your Desktop folder.
Then type 'del filename.xyz' where xyz is the file's extension.

e.g. the offending file is called wontdelete.zip
You would type 'del wontdelete.zip' and press enter.

If there are spaces anywhere in the filename you will have to put it
in quotation marks.
e.g. del "w o n t d e l e t e.zip"

If the second one wont let you delete them, you can try using OG filenames like in this post:

http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/894773.htm#post4898958

JayBo
04-02-2012, 03:52 PM
I'm having a weird problem with a few workstations at the school.

THe main 2, are running Vista Ultimate

Anyhow, after CTL ALT DEL and logging on, it just brings up a black screen with the cursor FOREVER..then finally loads desktop.

At first I thought it was DNS settings, b/c I was trying to decide which DNS server I wanted to use, my firewall, or one of my servers that was running DNS.. (btw, which do you recommend?)

My machine did it for just a day or 2 when I manually changed the dns server settings, but all of that is back to its normal state on my network now. I can't figure out whats gong on?

stonehenge
04-02-2012, 05:50 PM
I've never run into anything like that. I'd say ask Cao but he hasn't posted in quite a while :emo:

JayBo
04-03-2012, 01:25 PM
This... is NOT good..

stonehenge
04-03-2012, 02:26 PM
Rick's last activity was 3/28, almost a week ago. That be pretty rare for him.

apedestrian
05-28-2012, 07:05 PM
okai so when i try to update to service pack 1 while using the windows update thingmajiger it always fails halfway through :shrug:

I used to not have a 'legit' windows until I used a program/crack? to make it legit

stonehenge
05-29-2012, 01:20 AM
I guess whatever crack you used could have messed something up but idk, the update should work. Did you install all other updates first? Might help.

Also, see if MS let's you download the update from their site in an EXE or MSI or something.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

apedestrian
05-29-2012, 01:28 AM
it stops halfway through and gives me error 80004005

i tried doing it manually and it still gives me the same error, i went into safe mode and tried it and again failed. I guess it's not a huge deal but it annoys the fuck out of me for some reason :shrug:

VmaxEngage
05-29-2012, 02:02 AM
google search that error?

I have cracked windows on my lappy but it updates fine.

apedestrian
05-29-2012, 02:08 AM
google searched the fawk out of it this morning and found no answers :shrug: I'll just keep it un updated forever i guess :shrug:

stonehenge
05-29-2012, 04:34 AM
FTS just backup your goodies and do a fresh install of W7 x64 w/ SP1 immfo

MFB
07-15-2012, 11:32 PM
After a few years my current ultra bamf setup needs to be replaced.

Spec's of whats been ordered.

Processor: Core i7 3770K (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116501) ($139.99 intel hook up)
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131819) ($209.00)
Ram: G.Skill DDR3 1600 16 gigs (from old setup)
Case: Fractal Designs Define XL (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352017) ($143.99)
Video Card: ATI Radeon 6970 (from old setup)
Hard Drive: Crucial M4 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148442) ($129.99)
http://goobyplz.com/images/dump/2012-07-15_152645.png

http://goobyplz.com/images/dump/IMG958636.jpg
http://goobyplz.com/images/dump/2012-07-14_21-52-22_658.jpg

stonehenge
07-16-2012, 07:36 AM
whore status

MFB
07-16-2012, 07:44 AM
whore status

its gonna be rape when its done.

MFB
07-16-2012, 09:44 PM
Fuck my 16 gigs wont work

http://goobyplz.com/images/dump/sc/2012-07-16_134223.png

oh well 32 will have to work

apedestrian
07-16-2012, 09:46 PM
why 32gbs :kittahstare: you do video rendering shit?

MFB
07-16-2012, 09:49 PM
why 32gbs :kittahstare: you do video rendering shit?

60 bucks more and the latency,cache and its 1.5v might aswell.

theholycow
08-08-2012, 04:51 PM
About a year ago: Boss asks me to get VPN functionality working for iPhone/iPad.

Over the course of about a year: I spent countless hours reading tech support for our VPN and firewall, and asking my boss to test stuff on his iPhone. I got it working partially using some stuff that I feel is insecure.

A month ago: Department got an iPad. We are taking turns with it.

Over the course of the past few weeks: I've spent a few hours fiddling with iPad VPN and failing.

A few minutes ago: I decided to check the app store. Sure enough there's a fucking app for that. Free. Took 30 seconds to install, 30 seconds to configure, and I was connected.

:ayfkm:

chevyrado14
08-08-2012, 04:54 PM
theres always an app for everything. lol

stonehenge
08-08-2012, 05:07 PM
:word: apps ftw

theholycow
08-08-2012, 05:20 PM
Boss says he tried the app back in the beginning and it didn't work, it gave him the same crap that's built-in which doesn't work with our VPN. Ok, I guess that esplains it.

stonehenge
08-08-2012, 07:36 PM
boss lying to make up for his laziness :crossarms:

MikeH
08-08-2012, 11:06 PM
So recently shit just randomly starts crashing on my computer (win 7) and it even does it on a fresh install. Could my hard drive be taking a shit? It's usually shit like windows explorer, etc.

theholycow
08-08-2012, 11:10 PM
I would suspect CPU overheating (slow fan) or failing RAM.

MikeH
08-08-2012, 11:24 PM
should I try puttin my old RAM back in and see what happens? i upgraded it about 8 months ago.

stonehenge
08-08-2012, 11:34 PM
You can try that or you can burn a memtest disc and let it run overnight and see if you get any errors.

MikeH
08-08-2012, 11:58 PM
I be running the windows memory diagnostic tool now, will the disk be any different?

theholycow
08-09-2012, 12:08 AM
Not sure I'd trust a clean bill of health from the Windows memory diagnostic tool...memtest CD is good stuff.

stonehenge
08-09-2012, 12:11 AM
i've never run the windows mem diag tool, didn't know it existed :jester:

MikeH
08-09-2012, 12:12 AM
Will try that tonight then. My laptop has always ran pretty warm. Wonder if it's taking it's toll now.

theholycow
08-09-2012, 12:41 AM
HP?

MikeH
08-09-2012, 01:03 AM
Yeah it be a HP

theholycow
08-09-2012, 01:13 AM
DV series? Like DV2000, DV9000, etc.

Lots and lots of HPs have badly designed cooling systems and overheating GPUs that unsolder themselves.

MikeH
08-09-2012, 03:52 AM
I think the model number is like B66US or something like that.

MikeH
08-10-2012, 06:00 AM
So I think it is a memory issue. I didn't run the disk yet but every time I boot into Ubuntu dpkg crashes and according to Google it's because it's ran out of memory. Just swapped my old sticks back in and no crash this time.

stonehenge
08-10-2012, 03:08 PM
fts, how old is the new memory?

theholycow
08-10-2012, 04:07 PM
Pfft, how is he supposed to remember with all that defective memory?

Cez★
08-10-2012, 06:12 PM

MikeH
08-10-2012, 06:13 PM
:rofl:

it isn't even a year. believe it's g.skill and has a lifetime warranty but no clue what it covers.

stonehenge
08-10-2012, 07:12 PM
g.skill is good ram, maybe just a dud. I'd call them or newegg or wherever you got it.

---------- Post added at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 AM ----------

At the beginning of the week our AV console started firing out Virus Outbreak alerts, we traced it back to a machine in one of our control rooms up north.

We knocked it offline and gave the operations manager up there a call to ask that they box it up and send it back. He huffed and puffed a bit because this machine was driving one of the big displays his control room use.

I explained that he can suck it up and that we aren't turning it back on til we get it here. He handed off to a minion to get it shipped down to us.

Today I got the box :

http://imgur.com/tMyTD.jpg

Fuckin idiots :facepalm:

Cez★
08-10-2012, 11:41 PM
that a dent up top?

stonehenge
08-11-2012, 12:30 AM
idk, the problem is that they just sent a monitor

Cez★
08-11-2012, 12:38 AM
oh :roflpow:

JayBo
08-15-2012, 06:19 PM
Is novell netware the software that lets you basically deploy an image to each computer instead of having to do each install individually?

Im trying to find something to help cut down on the amount of time we spend working/installing/etc in the labs. I need network wide shit!

theholycow
08-15-2012, 06:27 PM
You're looking for Ghost and its competitors.

Novell Netware was a general networking system competing with Microsoft, providing file and printer sharing (as well as everything from layer 2 up).

stonehenge
08-15-2012, 06:50 PM
Isn't there a Microsoft tool/program/whatever that lets you do imaging?

theholycow
08-15-2012, 07:02 PM
Apparently they do.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/pilot-and-deploy-windows-7.aspx
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825039.aspx
http://technet.microsoft.com/library/dd919179.aspx

I bet it's a PITA to use.

A quick googling brings up these possibilities:
http://www.osalt.com/tag/disk-cloning
specifically, this: http://www.osalt.com/fog

I just asked my PC tech, she's using Macrium Reflect for XP and just using built-in Windows Backup for Windows 7.

stonehenge
08-15-2012, 07:05 PM
I think someone on the lab team here is using the microsoft stuffs. He got the image ready for everyone but then we found out that PCs that were built with that image wouldn't join our linux domain but they'd join any of our Windows domains. Even with a vanilla W7 image. So its doing something weird and he's trying to figure it out.

theholycow
08-15-2012, 07:06 PM
:wtf:

Did you try comparing wireshark captures to see what's different?

stonehenge
08-15-2012, 07:26 PM
I'm pretty sure he did. I don't remember what he found out from that but he's pretty sure it has to be something in the registry because all settings for the network connection, domain, IP, etc, etc are correct. We even have an LMHosts in place that tells it where the domain is. Not sure wtf is going on.

A vanilla install from a disc on the same computers works fine. But a vanilla created with their imaging thing won't.

:uhohshrug:

---------- Post added at 11:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 AM ----------

Oh and this is unrelated but Windows 8 looks ratard. The new flat look that replaces Aero is nice but the Metro UI crap is stupid for a laptop or desktop. Who wants to slide the whole screen up to "unlock" their desktop/laptop and use gestures and shit? Oh and lets get rid of the Start Menu and replace it with fgt tiles and apps on a side scrolling pane.

Looks great for a touch screen device but as soon as I get my hands on the ISO through work, I'll be looking into a way to get rid of that shit. :crossarms:

theholycow
08-15-2012, 07:35 PM
I know a surefire way to avoid that bullshit. Don't use Windows 8. Microsoft keeps pushing awful changes on us because we all remain good sheep and bend over to let them ram it up our poop chutes. Office 2007's ribbon would be ok if the menu bar could still be enabled. Vista/7/2008/2008R2's Explorer sucks, it's slow and they removed the Up button. 7/2008R2's gratuitous changes to stuff like the printer control panel just plain suck. Metro's gonna suck. Metrosexual OS :imo

Instead, use an older version or use Linux. My home computer runs XP, and the only reason I'm considering Vista/7 is because of the ability to set I/O priority...in XP if a program thrashes the hard disk then all other programs suffer and there's no way to reign it in.

Google provides this, if you must use Windows 8:
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window-on-windows/make-the-windows-8-start-screen-work-like-the-start-menu/6232

I guess if I end up on 8, I might do something like that or I might install a 3rd party launcher...there will certainly be many attempting to fill that niche.

stonehenge
08-15-2012, 07:39 PM
I actually like W7 quite a bit but it took me a while to abandon XP. If I can find a way to disable the metro crap right away then I'll give W8 a try. Although I may W8 (get it "wait" badum-tss) to actually use it on my desktop at home.

I found a registry hack somewhere that should work. You change a key from 0 to 1 and the metro crap disappears. But I think that was on the dev preview, not sure if it will still work on the final release. We'll see.

theholycow
08-15-2012, 07:56 PM
I'm probably actually going to end up putting Linux on my home computer like I should have been doing for a while now...might dual boot or just remote to work for necessary Windows apps that won't run in wine. My computer isn't powerful enough for useful virtualization.

chevyrado14
08-15-2012, 07:58 PM
i have a quick question. i have adobe acrobat x on my work pc. they gave me an activation code to use but every time i open anything it asks me for the code again. any ideas why it wont stick? i have admin access if i need to re install or something.

stonehenge
08-15-2012, 08:06 PM
I'm probably actually going to end up putting Linux on my home computer like I should have been doing for a while now...might dual boot or just remote to work for necessary Windows apps that won't run in wine. My computer isn't powerful enough for useful virtualization.

If you do run Linux, I recommend Linux Mint. Or if you try something like Ubuntu or Fedora then make sure you install Gnome 2 or some other traditional GUI because the new version of Gnome and Ubuntu's Unity are both.. meh.. they seem touchscreen focused like Metro. :down:

I can't run Linux on my home computer because I use it for gaming. Not much gaming can be done on Linux. Our laptop goes back and forth from Linux to Windows regularly when I'm bored haha and I have a Mac at work.

i have a quick question. i have adobe acrobat x on my work pc. they gave me an activation code to use but every time i open anything it asks me for the code again. any ideas why it wont stick? i have admin access if i need to re install or something.

Hmm do you login with the admin account or do you just have credentials to use when needed? Either way you could try running Acrobat as an admin (right click > run as admin) and enter the code and see if it sticks. Not sure though, I've never had to use Acrobat.

theholycow
08-15-2012, 08:23 PM
If you do run Linux, I recommend Linux Mint. Or if you try something like Ubuntu or Fedora then make sure you install Gnome 2 or some other traditional GUI because the new version of Gnome and Ubuntu's Unity are both.. meh.. they seem touchscreen focused like Metro. :down:

:uhoh: That sounds like teh gayzorz. If I go Ubuntu I'll probably use Kubuntu, back when I used to use Linux a lot more I preferred KDE over Gnome...Gnome was too eyecandyey, KDE was all business (like Aero vs. "disable visual effects"). For me, KDE always worked intuitively and did everything I needed.

You've mentioned Mint before. Another friend is a big fan of Arch (http://www.archlinux.org/).

I see there's a KDE edition of Mint.

Not sure which direction I would want to go...Descriptions of Arch and Mint are polar opposites, with Arch appealing to the old-school Slackware user in me and Mint appealing to the lazy user who doesn't want to be arsed with making stuff work that could be done automatically.

Most likely I'll just be lazy and stick with XP.

---------- Post added at 03:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

Now that we're talking aboot it, it's making me think I ought to play with a livecd...

stonehenge
08-15-2012, 08:32 PM
KDE is pretty nice too, I just like Gnome. Luckily I don't think the newest version of KDE has done anything stupid like Gnome/Unity/Metro.

I've heard good things about Arch, but like you said it can take some work to get it setup how you want. Mint just works. Comes with codecs, drivers, even flash/firefox/java installed from the get go. So mash easy.

theholycow
08-15-2012, 08:33 PM
:fiwdil: Torrenting Mint 13 KDE livecd nao. Prolly won't try it, but if I do get the itch, I'll have the ISO ready.

stonehenge
08-15-2012, 08:35 PM
I downloaded the Cinnamon version a couple weeks ago, just installed it to a VM this morning to play with a little. Cinnamon is a GUI that the Mint guys made because they didn't like where Gnome was going. It's eyecandyish like Gnome and has a ton of themes you can download but they also want to keep it fairly minimal and easy to navigate. I'm gonna play with the VM for a while and probably throw it on the craptop at some point.

theholycow
08-15-2012, 08:40 PM
Any suggestion for remote access? I'm spoiled by how smooth and clean RDP is with Windows, DNW to use VNC. I do all my shit like AOT and such from my home computer even when I'm at work.

stonehenge
08-15-2012, 08:49 PM
Not really :/ all the remote stuff we do with our linux boxes here is done via ssh which obviously won't work to browse lol

I've never really looked into it but I think VNC is your only choice. :hmm:

chevyrado14
08-15-2012, 08:52 PM
Hmm do you login with the admin account or do you just have credentials to use when needed? Either way you could try running Acrobat as an admin (right click > run as admin) and enter the code and see if it sticks. Not sure though, I've never had to use Acrobat.

i have access to the admin account and i have logged in as admin and did the code but it still didnt stick. maybe i need to try a fresh install.

MikeH
08-19-2012, 03:48 AM
How can I extended my wireless range, signal is shit on the far side of the house. I have an extra router already if that helps.

stonehenge
08-19-2012, 04:27 AM
I haven't had to mess with it but you may be able to setup the extra router as a repeater or access point. That or buy an extender/repeater

MikeH
08-19-2012, 05:37 AM
It has dd-wrt, or at least one of them does.

stonehenge
08-19-2012, 09:48 AM
then you SHOULD be able to make it into a repeater/accesspoint/extender somehow but I haven't done it

MikeH
08-19-2012, 06:50 PM
How? Maybe cao has teh answer

stonehenge
08-19-2012, 08:39 PM
this looks like what you need

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged

MikeH
08-20-2012, 12:10 AM
will watch video when I get home and hope it makes sense :jester:

stonehenge
08-20-2012, 12:49 AM
:chuy:

theholycow
08-20-2012, 03:05 AM
Only bridging I know besides purpose made wifi extenders is Repeater or bridging mode in some routers. Looks like ddwrt can handle it.

JayBo
08-20-2012, 06:43 PM
What I'm really looking for is something like a user profile. I can make desktop look like I want, etc. When computer boots, it loads that image, or profile. whatever it's called.

So when I have to say for instance, add a printer. I don't have to do it 30/60/90 times. I can just do it once.

theholycow
08-20-2012, 07:01 PM
Is novell netware the software that lets you basically deploy an image to each computer instead of having to do each install individually?

Im trying to find something to help cut down on the amount of time we spend working/installing/etc in the labs. I need network wide shit!

What I'm really looking for is something like a user profile. I can make desktop look like I want, etc. When computer boots, it loads that image, or profile. whatever it's called.

So when I have to say for instance, add a printer. I don't have to do it 30/60/90 times. I can just do it once.

Printers in the lab are a HUGE pain in the ass. You might want to use 3rd party software. We install "local" printers using "Standard TCP/IP" ports, that works for us although these days we use a terminal server anyway.

Desktop wallpaper and options, the easy way to deal with that is with Group Policy. Set that shit in a policy applying to the users or setup a loopback policy applying to the computers.

You could change the default profile template. It's a little hacky to do but once it's done it works well. The only problem is that you can't adjust it for existing users after the fact unless you want to delete their profiles.

:chin: Didn't you say you have one generic user rather than accounts for each person? In that case, you could probably just copy the profile from one computer to the next, or use roaming profiles (which stores the profile on the server).

---------- Post added at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 PM ----------

There's a few different Microsoft options for pushing printer profiles over the network but they don't fucking work.

stonehenge
08-20-2012, 07:03 PM
Printers in the lab are a HUGE pain in the ass.

fixed

theholycow
08-20-2012, 07:13 PM
:caoshake:

JayBo
08-20-2012, 07:33 PM
Yeah. In the labs we use 1 generic login.
I've locked that user down a good bit in the group policy. Well, the things I could think of anyhow. Not sure if I'm leaving something out that they could access. Basically, I want to keep them from changing wallpaper, moving icons, etc. And from installing anything without an administrator password, which the teacher keeps.

I've basically done all that. I just get tired of having to go to each machine to install printers and other BS software.
I tried the user profiles one time. I didn't have much luck though. In a few of the labs we use Deep Freeze. I HATE that shit.

theholycow
08-20-2012, 08:10 PM
Locking it down that tight could be difficult and would probably require 3rd party software.

What about changing the Windows shell (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/134471-45-changing-windows-shell)from Explorer to something else? Even if you don't do that, you could make it run a program that doesn't have normal controls or the ability to exit easily. Set it up to respawn, disable the taskbar, and leave just one icon on the desktop that runs the program if they double click it.

VmaxEngage
08-21-2012, 02:59 AM
Started a Hardware Maintenance class tonight. Gonna try to get my A+ cert after

stonehenge
08-21-2012, 04:15 AM
Dat hard wares

JayBo
08-22-2012, 05:51 PM
Locking it down that tight could be difficult and would probably require 3rd party software.

What about changing the Windows shell (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/134471-45-changing-windows-shell)from Explorer to something else? Even if you don't do that, you could make it run a program that doesn't have normal controls or the ability to exit easily. Set it up to respawn, disable the taskbar, and leave just one icon on the desktop that runs the program if they double click it.

That could be an option. :hmm:

Has applied for around 7 new IT jobs. Declined from 2 :emo:

stonehenge
08-22-2012, 06:50 PM
from reddit w/ the title "Must... power... through... the stupid..." :

I do Tier 1 helpdesk work for a large, well-known, nation-wide organization.

(Caps are not screaming, just talking obscenely loud like you want to make sure everyone around you can hear you be a prick. There was no background noise to yell over.)

Me: Thank you for calling blah blah blah, may I have your last name please?

Her: XXXXXXX AND I HAVE A PROBLEM I NEED TO CALL IN ANOTHER TICKET BECAUSE THE GUYS TOLD ME THEY COULDN'T LOOK AT THIS PROBLEM WHEN THEY CAME OUT FOR MY OTHER ISSUE AND I HAVE A TICKET NUMBER AND I NEED-

Me: Whoa, whoa, whoa, Ma'am? MA'AM? ...Spell that last name for me.

Her: X-X-X-X-X-X-X AND THEY TOLD ME I NEEDED THIS TICKET AND MY OTHER ONE AT THE SAME TIME AND -

Me: Ma'am... and your first name?

Her: XXXX AND I-

Me: And what can I do for you?

Her: THEY JUST GAVE ME A NEW MACHINE AND MY EMAIL DOESN'T WORK.

Me: Can you be a little more specific Ma'am? What exactly isn't working about it? What exactly are you trying to do and what happens when you try to do it?

Her: IT'S JUST GONE. IT'S NOT THERE ANYMORE. I LOOKED IN PROGRAMS AND IT'S NOT THERE. I CAN'T FIND IT.

Me: Okay, I'd like you to click on start.

Her: I ALREADY DID THAT AND I CAN'T FIND IT.

Me: After you click on start, go to all programs.

Her: I DID THIS BEFORE AND IT WASN'T THERE.

Me: After you click on all programs, there should be a list of program icons followed by a lot of folders.

Her: AND MY OUTLOOK ISN'T THERE, I TOLD YOU.

Me: In that folder list you'll see one named "Microsoft Office". Inside that folder you'll see a list of Microsoft Office programs. Almost exactly in the middle of that list, you'll see "Microsoft Office Outlook 2010". Click there.

Her: OH... oh...

click

:facepalm:

theholycow
08-22-2012, 07:11 PM
That is certainly one of the most common calls.

chevyrado14
08-22-2012, 07:14 PM
sounds like a id10t error

stonehenge
08-22-2012, 07:37 PM
pebcak

theholycow
08-24-2012, 07:59 PM
Is anyone having connectivity issues? There may be some major failure on teh innernetz or something, based on some crap that just went down for me and some reports from some other dudes elsewhere...

stonehenge
08-24-2012, 08:02 PM
I haven't noticed anything and I just checked our ticket system and see no complaints (we have lots of users so I image there'd be someone complaining).

fatkidkustomz
08-26-2012, 04:35 PM
Ok... I got another good one. As usual.

My friend's laptop died. He's computer illiterate so it was just one of those, "I don't know. It just died."

It still starts in safe mode. I've tried everything I know of and it had a hell of a lot of infections on it that anti-malwarebytes found. I tried a system restore through command prompt. Nothing. This is all I get.

Those codes mean anything to anyone?

theholycow
08-26-2012, 04:41 PM
Sometimes you can Google them and get answers...usually not.

ataport.sys sounds like a driver for the IDE/SATA interface. You could try deleting and reinstalling those drivers. Otherwise a repair install might be in order.

stonehenge
08-26-2012, 05:10 PM
It's Vista or W7 right? I did some gewglin and people have various answers:

Some say you might be able to fix it by redoing the boot record. You'll have to boot to a repair disc and run these from the command prompt:

c:
bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot

Rootkit. Try ComboFix.

Use the TDSSkiller from Kapersky to remove this MBR-virus

There were some other "answers" too but the above are fairly easy to try and shouldn't screw anything up if you already have an ok boot record and no rootkit.

Edit: Like cao said, one of those "other answers" was to replace the ataport.sys file with a known good one. To do that you'll have to use some sort of boot/repair disc because I don't think Windows will let you swap that file while it's running.

fatkidkustomz
08-26-2012, 07:52 PM
It's Vista. I don't have any kind of repair disk or anything. And of course he can't find any of the shit that came with it. And since nobody includes a Windows disk with a new computer these days, I don't have a copy to just do a fresh install.

theholycow
08-26-2012, 09:08 PM
Remove hd and slave as usb to replace that file.

Sent from my Venture using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

stonehenge
08-26-2012, 10:18 PM
or burn a linux livecd, that should work too

fatkidkustomz
08-26-2012, 10:39 PM
He found the factory recovery disks. Got it back up and running with a factory restore, now I just have to go through and remove all the junk factory installed programs. Here goes another 2 hours. :suicide:

theholycow
08-27-2012, 03:09 AM
http://pcdecrapifier.com

MikeH
08-28-2012, 05:48 AM
put XP on an old POS laptop I found for my dad to use to browse teh internets and it is way smoother than fgt Vista was.

stonehenge
08-28-2012, 07:00 AM
If the machine handles it I like 7 now, if not then XP. Vista plz go and stay away with ME.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

MikeH
08-28-2012, 07:45 AM
I was gonna try 7 on it but figured XP might be less resource hungry.