:okay:

pero has matching door panels

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l215/crazyshaggy/misc/BCXRw.jpg

theholycow
09-13-2011, 03:30 AM
WTF are you guys talking aboot?

Cez★
09-13-2011, 03:32 AM
maybe youd know if you were around more, or if you paid more attention to me :womanbawl:

theholycow
09-13-2011, 03:32 AM
Well it sounds like you're talking aboot a speeding ticket that you half-assed mentioned in TCT but we're in the IT thread over here...

stonehenge
09-13-2011, 03:33 AM
Cez talking shit cuz I stay late at work today.
I talk shit cuz he got caught speeding.
Cez talk shit cuz he has matching door panels, my rears are silver.
Cez is fgt.

Cez★
09-13-2011, 03:34 AM
Well it sounds like you're talking aboot a speeding ticket that you half-assed mentioned in TCT but we're in the IT thread over here...

:lolwut:
halfassed? lol it had all the important info

Cez talking shit cuz I stay late at work today.
I talk shit cuz he got caught speeding.
Cez talk shit cuz he has matching door panels, my rears are silver.
Cez is fgt.

:ohumad:

stonehenge
09-13-2011, 03:34 AM
:dealwithit:

JayBo
09-14-2011, 01:32 PM
My exchange server is being a bitchola

blocking attachments, bouncing emails back, etc
I has anti-spam un-installed... which is letting all kinds of great penis enlargement products come through.

Anywho, wTF?
And what is a good spam filter for Exchange?!

theholycow
09-14-2011, 02:23 PM
:hmm: I haven't used any integrated spam filtering solutions. I have a Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall 400, although if I was doing it now I'd probably get a virtual appliance instead (probably still from Barracuda though, or maybe Sophos).

What does Exchange provide for a NDR, and do you see anything in event logs?

JayBo
09-14-2011, 03:05 PM
I see nothing in the Event logs....
I are boggled!

theholycow
09-14-2011, 03:09 PM
How about the NDRs?

JayBo
09-14-2011, 03:13 PM
Enlighten me what NDR stands for plz lol

theholycow
09-14-2011, 03:55 PM
Non-Delivery Report aka bounce message.

stonehenge
09-14-2011, 04:29 PM
bounce message involve boobies? plz?

theholycow
09-14-2011, 04:58 PM
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv315/theh0lyc0w/EmotiCows/punzadita.gif

JayBo
09-14-2011, 07:08 PM
Says something about a security policy in place

But I haven't modified anything at all!

theholycow
09-14-2011, 07:18 PM
:nosir:

Can't say as I've seen that before.

I was about to give you some instructions for looking at those policies when I remembered that you have Exchange 2003. In 2007, they're in Exchange Manglement Console, Organization Configuration -> Hub Transport -> {various tabs}.

JayBo
09-14-2011, 07:19 PM
I has 2007

theholycow
09-14-2011, 07:22 PM
Oh hey, congrats! When did that happen?

I'm about to upgrade to 2010. DNW.

JayBo
09-14-2011, 07:36 PM
:rofl2:
About 2 years ago :crazy:

I checked EVERYTHING like 390 times, and I still can't find anything.
i would love to run this free UNTANGLE spam filter temporarily, but can't get it to install on the machine. CD rom will not mount...FTS.

Could I run it virtually on XP??

theholycow
09-14-2011, 07:44 PM
Copy files from CD on another machine over network. Profit.

What do you mean run it virtually on XP? Run the spam filter? No idea.

JayBo
09-14-2011, 08:18 PM
I downloaded the ISO file, burned it to a bootable disk, and it says that one of the files is corrupted...
Bastard ass file...

theholycow
09-14-2011, 08:34 PM
FTS why burn a .ISO to disc? Why not just mount it?

Use Winmount Portable or VirtualCloneDrive.

Winmount Portable:
32 bit http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1XF7EA10
64 bit http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OXHNNKP4

stonehenge
09-14-2011, 08:43 PM
CAO
portable program pimp

Finally got everything back to normal here :insane: the only problem is we didn't have a recent backup of the samba config file (where all the share info is kept). So I have to recreate any shares that i made in the last few months. Also anyone who was added to a share or removed from a share. :blahclap:

Luckily I don't have to recreate any recently added users, would srsly contemplate ending own life.

MikeH
09-14-2011, 09:44 PM
Accidentally deleted my recovery partition the other day installing linux and forgot to make a backup, had to order a recover disc. They supposedly dont charge you for them but they rape you with $15 5-7 day shipping. :erniefp:

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 PM ----------

Global Shortcut Keys Windows 8

WIN + Q - open search.

WIN + Z - flip open applications.

Win + Spacebar - change the language / keyboard layout.

Win + Y - in time to show the desktop.

WIN + W - search on the parameters of the system.

WIN + F - Search for files.

WIN + I - open a new "Start" menu - "Settings".

WIN + K - open a new menu "Start" - "Connections."

WIN + K - open a new menu "Start" - "Connections."

WIN + O - disable screen rotation (turn off the gyro reaction to the tablets)

WIN + C - open a new "Start" menu.

WIN + V - switching between notifications.

WIN + Shift + V - switching between notifications in reverse order.

WIN + Enter - run utilities Narrator, which reads aloud the titles and contents of all the opened windows.

WIN + PageUp - move the tiles to the left.

WIN + PgDown - move the tiles to the right.

WIN + Shift +. - Move the separator [screen] to the left.

WIN +. - Move the separator [screen] to the right.

The old shortcut (Win + R, Win + L) also work.

Note also the following tricks:

Start typing the name of the application from the keyboard directly to the Home screen, "Start Screen", so quickly run it.

Familiar applications / folders in the Start menu, Metro-interface can be found by clicking on "Search".

If the Metro-interface to bring your mouse to the lower left corner to open a simplified "Start" menu.

In Metro-interface for the applications become available, some specific options (toolbar bottom of the screen) by pressing the tile application, right-click.

"Settings" allows you to change not only the system settings, but the specific parameters established by the Metro-based applications.

Hotkeys Explorer

Press ALT. The tape shows tips for each button. Now press:

A - to open the "special features"

C O - to copy the selected items.

C P - copy the path to the file / folder.

C F - copy the folder (use the drop-down list)

D - delete the selected.

E - edit the selected files.

H - to show the history of file versions. I think the mechanism will be used by shadowing.

M - move the files (using the drop-down list).

N - Create a new folder.

P S - insert label

P R - open properties.

P E - Open With ..., select the application again using a drop-down list.

S A - select all.

S N - deselect.

S I - invert the selection.

R - rename a selected file (s).

T - cut

V - to paste.

W - to create a new document, choose the template - using the drop-down list.

Combinations such as C O should be pressed sequentially, ie early press ALT, then C, then O. If you work with Office 2007/2010, such a device control commands from the keyboard ribbon should be familiar to you.

stonehenge
09-14-2011, 10:24 PM
:blah:

JayBo
09-14-2011, 11:40 PM
cant mount, bc it's wiping windows to install linux on the HDD..

stonehenge
09-14-2011, 11:46 PM
So it's a LiveCD but the computer/server you want to boot it on doesn't have a working CD drive? Most linux ISOs can be turned in to bootable USB drives, :shrug:

theholycow
09-15-2011, 02:25 PM
Bought two new Cisco switches. They came with heavy duty twist-lock power cables instead of the normal 3-prong cable we all know well.
http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/c/0/0/86/b/AAAADJsbhf8AAAAAAIawiA.jpg

I emailed to confirm that it's ok to use a standard cable with this. My rep escalated it, and then we had a 4-way conference call with a Cisco engineer. :facepalm:

JayBo
09-15-2011, 02:54 PM
So it's a LiveCD but the computer/server you want to boot it on doesn't have a working CD drive? Most linux ISOs can be turned in to bootable USB drives, :shrug:

Yes, is LiveCD, and the computer has a working CD drive. It'll boot from the drive, and start installing, but then the damn drive just dies, like it never was there.

Cez★
09-15-2011, 04:19 PM
and then we had a 4-way with a Cisco engineer. :facepalm:

:miyagi:

VmaxEngage
09-16-2011, 06:57 AM
:skeet:

theholycow
09-19-2011, 03:41 PM
We have some HP T5630 thin clients. These are single core 1GHz computers with a 1GB flash disk and no hard disk. They currently have an embedded version of Windows XP.

What can I do with these? We were using them for remote desktop clients but we can't use the latest mstsc and the version they have doesn't support the features we need.

The only thing I can think of is to stick them next to important network switches with a serial cable and somehow get an RDP or VNC (or maybe SSH) server on them so I can always get connected to that switch even if it's not responding to network connections - but then, that only works if I can get a network connection somewhere else.

JayBo
09-19-2011, 03:46 PM
Hay Cao. (teehee)

lemme ask you this right quick.

I have 2 scripts that I want to run at logon. One is for the entire domain. It works just great.
The other is for the "Teachers" group. It will only run if you logon to the machine as a domain administrator. It shows on the C: drive what time it ran (I have it create a text file like you helped me do on that other one)
But it doesn't do what the script is telling it to.

Any ideas?

theholycow
09-19-2011, 04:20 PM
Can you test-run it while logged in?

You could have it send ALL its output to the text file. After each command, add >> c:\outputfile.txt and any command prompt output will go there.

You can also use errorlevels to see which commands succeed and which fail. IIRC you can do something like echo %errorlevel% >> outputfile.txt, or you could do like in linux with command && echo success || echo fail but I don't remember for sure.

JayBo
09-19-2011, 04:22 PM
WEll, hold on. It's doing something weird.
I'm listed on the domain as an administrator, in the admin group.
When I logged on, it immediately did what it was supposed to.
Is there a way to change permissions for a script, or something like that?

stonehenge
09-19-2011, 04:30 PM
If I remember right, the only way to run a script as an administrator is by putting your password in plain text inside the bat file. FTS.

The guy I work with made a C program to do it that hides the password but he has to recreate the program every time we want to run a different script/program :blah:

Is that the problem? They don't have the permission to run it?

theholycow
09-19-2011, 04:32 PM
I've struggled with that myself a bit, but never chased it too much.

If the script runs as a startup script set in the Computer Configuration section of the GPO then it will run as local administrator. If it runs as a login script set in the User Configuration section then it will only have that user's permissions.

You might be able to use it to launch another tool that can run as administrator, but I can't remember which tool, unless you want to create an administrator user and stick that user's credentials in the script. That's a big security issue.

If everybody's computer is turned on you could forget the script and use psexec (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897553).

---------- Post added at 11:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 AM ----------

You might be able to use it to launch another tool that can run as administrator,

...especially that one that Juan described.

stonehenge
09-19-2011, 04:33 PM
Yeah and our linux domain doesn't do startup scripts, just login scripts. So the only way was for le coworker to write a C program with the password and program name hardcoded into it and compiled up in there. So if we change the password or need to run something else, he has to rewrite it and recompile it. PITA.

theholycow
09-19-2011, 04:40 PM
Juan, y coworker no write it to run a single script that you can change? Then it only needs to be recompiled after changing password.

stonehenge
09-19-2011, 04:46 PM
:roflshrug: or maybe that's what he did :hmm: not sure, we don't use it often. We have quite a few techs that each handle different departments so its fairly easy to have them install stuff instead of doing halfass workarounds to push the stuff out :jester:

JayBo
09-19-2011, 06:03 PM
it is set as a logon script, in the User configuration settings.
And most teachers are just Power Users, not Admin.

So... you saying I should change it to a startup script? Bad thing is, they swap computers around so much here that I'll have a hard time assigning the right ones to a group

theholycow
09-19-2011, 06:08 PM
:hmm: What does it do? I'm not quite grokking what you're laying down.

stonehenge
09-19-2011, 06:57 PM
yaybo making a script to keylog teacher infoz to \\domain\yaybogoodies

JayBo
09-19-2011, 07:26 PM
Well, basically its one just like that one copied the icons from the folder on the server, to the desktop of the machine.

Except I just want this one to do it for the teacher group
Its shortcuts/icons only they will use

---------- Post added at 02:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:24 PM ----------

Looks like this so far

@echo off
net use Z: \\Webster-admin\installs
copy z:\shared_icons\Teacher_Icons\*.* "%userprofile%\desktop"
time /t > c:\TeacherLogonScriptRan.txt

theholycow
09-19-2011, 07:35 PM
Double-check that the teachers have access to \\Webster-admin\installs. No administrator permissions are needed to write to "%userprofile%\desktop"...the user IS the owner of that folder, after all!

Could try this for troubleshooting
@echo off
net use Z: \\Webster-admin\installs > c:\TeacherLogonScriptRan.txt
copy z:\shared_icons\Teacher_Icons\*.* "%userprofile%\desktop" >> c:\TeacherLogonScriptRan.txt
time /t >> c:\TeacherLogonScriptRan.txt

or try this (less useful for this purpose, really)
net use Z: \\Webster-admin\installs || echo NetUseFail > c:\TeacherLogonScriptRan.txt
copy z:\shared_icons\Teacher_Icons\*.* "%userprofile%\desktop" || echo CopyFail >> c:\TeacherLogonScriptRan.txt
time /t >> c:\TeacherLogonScriptRan.txt

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 PM ----------

I forgot the @echo off on the last one, but thinking about that reminded me...

@echo off
net use Z: \\Webster-admin\installs
copy z:\shared_icons\Teacher_Icons\*.* "%userprofile%\desktop"
time /t > c:\TeacherLogonScriptRan.txt
pause

Don't use that one for everyone, just a test user. You stand there and watch it. You'll get to see the results.

---------- Post added at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 PM ----------

Well actually, for the one ending in pause, skip the @echo off

JayBo
09-19-2011, 07:46 PM
Everyone has access to that folder, no doubt.
Just to make sure, I set the security for everyone to have full access to see if that changed anything. I'm going to try that before I change the script... Lets see how this works..

theholycow
09-19-2011, 07:51 PM
Did you check both filesystem and share-level permissions?

http://www.dotnetmafia.com/blogs/dotnettipoftheday/FileShareSecurityTab1_1997998B.png
http://www.techotopia.com/images/3/33/Windows_server_2008_share_properties.jpg

stonehenge
09-19-2011, 07:53 PM
Is your server 2003 or 2008?

theholycow
09-20-2011, 02:37 PM
As part of a going green initiative, we had to install energy saving software. It doesn't do much that a GPO for Windows power options can't do, but it tracks the results for the bean counters. It also creates instability and can't seem to hold on to its license so every time I run the centralized management software it tells me that half of our computers have stopped saving power due to their license failure. A contractor has been involved but I don't know what their job is, as they don't do anything at all; they didn't install it, they don't maintain it, they don't support it...all they do is bug me about giving them reports from it, they don't even pull their own fucking reports. Fucking guy who usually emails me send every email with the high importance tag.
:no:

stonehenge
09-20-2011, 02:46 PM
Sounds like a bunch of fgtry, hopefully we never have to do that shit.

theholycow
09-20-2011, 02:49 PM
:jester: I wrote two scathing responses to his latest report request and did not send them. Instead I just sent an empty email with the report attached and I set it as low importance.
:trolldance:

stonehenge
09-20-2011, 02:50 PM
need smilie of cao with trollface :hmm:

---------- Post added at 06:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 AM ----------

found these:

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/022/a/6/trollcow_by_kravicka-d37s55p.png

http://cubecows.thecomicseries.com/images/comics/d1fbcf542fcdd4959d21ad41f1d68c6a124087097.png

theholycow
09-20-2011, 02:52 PM
Gawgle does not provide, but it does have this:
http://chzupnextinsports.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/funny-sports-pictures-something-wrong-germany-cow-equestrianism-regina-mayer-problem-troll-face.jpg

Don't know if this embed will work, but I'll try:
http://static.fjcdn.com/gifs/Troll+Face+troll+face_2c1f8d_2142732.gif

stonehenge
09-20-2011, 02:57 PM
wat u mean gawgle does not provide!? look at mah auto update

theholycow
09-20-2011, 03:03 PM
Pinche auto update does not provide.

stonehenge
09-20-2011, 03:03 PM
:jester:

JayBo
09-21-2011, 03:25 PM
FUUUUU script still does not do right.

And nao, am trying to write one to Map each user to a home folder, and set their My Documents to point to that mapped drive.

theholycow
09-21-2011, 03:37 PM
Fuck scripting that, just use the GPO setting made specifically to do that. I think it's "Folder redirection".

JayBo
09-21-2011, 03:48 PM
Yessss!! Just found that!

Well, basically All I want to do is get the script to map a drive, then use folder Redirection to set the My Documents to use that Mapping.

question. The folder I have set is \\webster-databac\HomeFolder

When the users log on, if will it create a folder with their username in there?

theholycow
09-21-2011, 03:49 PM
It sounds like you want roaming profiles, not folder redirection. Roaming profiles don't work well, though, so uh...maybe not.

You might be able to do folder redirection with something like \\webster-databac\HomeFolder\%username%

JayBo
09-21-2011, 03:54 PM
Yeahhh... that'll def work.
I've tried roaming profiles, and they are horrible.

I'll give that a shot.

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 AM ----------

Redirected to \\webster-databac\HomeFolder\

when I did, the server said "For User Clair, the My Documents Folder will be redirected to
\\webster-databac\HomeFolder\Clair\My Documents"

That might be success

theholycow
09-21-2011, 04:07 PM
Win.

JayBo
09-21-2011, 04:13 PM
Now to get it to push out.
Tried on a teacher's workstation. did gpupdate /force , rebooted, logged on... No dice :fp:

stonehenge
09-21-2011, 04:16 PM
:datSuccessfulUseOfGPz:

---------- Post added at 08:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 AM ----------

Now to get it to push out.
Tried on a teacher's workstation. did gpupdate /force , rebooted, logged on... No dice :fp:

and you have the gpo linked to their user OU? And you aren't filtering them out by accident?

JayBo
09-21-2011, 04:22 PM
I are wondering.

I has All teachers in a group called Teachers

How does one set permissions for this Group, or should I put it under ANOTHER group, such as Power Users....or something

theholycow
09-21-2011, 04:27 PM
Fucking group policy can be a pain when you want to apply it to, of all things, groups.

Use gpresult /v to see what was applied and what was filtered.

JayBo
09-21-2011, 04:30 PM
fuckin Microsoft...
I'm not very experienced with AD
I'm learning as I go.
I still don't understand why.

Remember that past script I wrote to copy those icons to every computer in the network? It performs flawlessly. But it's also in the Default Domain Controller Group Policy settings.

Now I created a new GP, Teachers, and only have it active for the Teachers group.
But it seems none of the policy settings are working on the user end.
Not the Folder Redirection, not the little logon script. Nada. I have a diff script. Exact same as the one for the Default Domain, I just edited it to pull a shortcut from a diff folder.

stonehenge
09-21-2011, 04:38 PM
when you say "group" do you mean OU or did you create an actual group inside an OU?

JayBo
09-21-2011, 04:53 PM
Created a Security Group called Teachers
Then added each user who is a teacher to this group

I'm also trying to make a fuckin distribution group so you can email every teacher at once on this exchange server, but it's being a MOFO

stonehenge
09-21-2011, 05:05 PM
and where did you link the GPO? To the OU they are in?

Chevrolet Fanatic
09-22-2011, 12:26 AM
Got a question. I may be getting a job where I'm going to be doing a little of everything; help desk work, server administration, etc. etc. Like 1 person doing all the IT shit. I don't have that much hands on experience with Server 2008 or Server 2003 for that matter, but do know a little about them. Would it be very hard for me to get up to speed with Server 2008? Servers at the place are already set up and in place, I would just be taking care of them, don't know much else about the situation yet though.

I figured I would give it a shot, I'm a quick learner, and what I have done with Windows Server it was pretty straightforward.

theholycow
09-22-2011, 12:41 AM
Unlike its desktop counterpart Vista, Server 2008 is quite good.

Unlike its counterpart 7, 2008R2 is less good than its predecessor 2008. It's pretty much the same and has minor improvements, but it has gratuitous changes that make things worse, like when you right-click a printer you have to remember to choose "Printer properties" halfway down the menu instead of the useless "Properties" at the bottom of the menu.

The problem with jumping into a position like that tends to be more a matter of concepts than exactly which software you're running. When you know the concepts, at macro and micro levels, finding the commands to accomplish what you want isn't hard. When you don't know the concepts and the whole company is dead in the water until you get it fixed, it really fucking sucks.

I say go for it. Jump in, drown a little, learn as you go. It'll be stressful as fuck, though...even if you are overqualified, a one-man IT department is stressful as fuck.

Chevrolet Fanatic
09-22-2011, 12:52 AM
Yeah, I figured it would stressful, but I've had such a hard time finding a job where I live I'm willing to take any position almost just to get some experience. Hell, I usually do better anyway when I'm on my own and end up learning more in the long run. That is the best way to learn anyway I guess, just jump in.

The server administration part of the job is what is going to be the hardest for me, learning the ins and outs of all the related hardware and software. Everything else shouldn't be that big of a deal.

If I do get it I'm sure I'll be on here asking you and Juan some questions. :happy:

theholycow
09-22-2011, 12:58 AM
Oh, you don't have a job? Fuck it, stress of that job is better than the stress of no job. BTDT.

Chevrolet Fanatic
09-22-2011, 01:02 AM
Yep, that one would definitely be better than none.

stonehenge
09-22-2011, 01:44 AM
Is it a huge company? Number of users can play a big role and also what kinda stuff they do. If they all sit there and use word and then go home, it wont be as hard as users who make you setup websites, computer labs, different domains, do research that requires TBs of space, etc, etc FTS.

Also, cross your fingers that the current servers aren't a mess. It really depends on how the previous IT person set them up. Will the previous person be there for a little while to show you where everything is?

Chevrolet Fanatic
09-22-2011, 04:07 AM
I'm not sure if the current IT guy will be there or not. The place is a bank with 5 branches so there won't be that many users. There were like 75 at the last place I worked and I'm guessing it won't even be close to that. There are only a few people that work at each building.

The big thing for me is the high level of security that is required for such sensitive information.

theholycow
09-22-2011, 11:34 AM
5 branches of a bank?
:ffuuu:

Keeping up with the security laws is tough.

JayBo
09-22-2011, 01:55 PM
Have fun with that dude. Thats about the size of the bank I used to work for.
I also had 2 ppl that worked w me.
It's not a bad gig, you just have to be EXTRA careful w how you do shit, and you HAVE to do it by the FDIC guidelines. And they will audit you.. very much a lot.

---------- Post added at 08:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 AM ----------

Anyway..
Seems nothing I do with these groups will ever work..

All I wanna do is have a damn group for the teachers... have a shared folder...or rather have the group policy work right for them.

And have them grouped together so I can send email to them w/o having to add each one individually... FML

stonehenge
09-22-2011, 02:02 PM
I'm not sure if the current IT guy will be there or not. The place is a bank with 5 branches so there won't be that many users. There were like 75 at the last place I worked and I'm guessing it won't even be close to that. There are only a few people that work at each building.

The big thing for me is the high level of security that is required for such sensitive information.

Change all passwords to bank123 and open firewall completely. Should make things easier.

theholycow
09-22-2011, 02:10 PM
Can you stick the users in an OU instead of a group? It can be a sub-OU of whatever OU they're already in. That will make it much easier to do.

JayBo
09-22-2011, 02:14 PM
So make a sub-OU of the one they're already in and put all teachers there?

theholycow
09-22-2011, 02:15 PM
Yup.

JayBo
09-22-2011, 02:18 PM
Okay, did that.

theholycow
09-22-2011, 02:19 PM
Now link the GPO to that OU and give it default security/filtering rules so it will apply to everyone in the OU.

JayBo
09-22-2011, 02:23 PM
Hmm. OH, should I delete the Group?

---------- Post added at 09:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 AM ----------

Ok. Linked, brah.

Damn, I've never done this before. Thanks Rick..ahead of time. I know I'm a damn bother.lol

theholycow
09-22-2011, 02:35 PM
It doesn't matter if you delete the group or not, but it should not be listed in the GPO's filtering settings.

---------- Post added at 09:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 AM ----------

Scope tab -> Security Filtering should simply say "Authenticated Users"

Delegation tab should list:
Authenticated Users: Read (from Security Filtering)
Domain Admins: Custom
Enterprise Admins: Custom
Enterprise Domain Controllers: Read
System: Edit settings, delete, modify security

My domain runs at 2008 functional level; domains running at other functional levels may differ, but anyway, those are the two places where the default settings should be in use. Compare to your Default Domain Policy.

The GPO should then only be linked to the new sub-OU.

stonehenge
09-22-2011, 02:37 PM
you'll still need the group if you want to use it to give them access to certain directories and whatnot

JayBo
09-22-2011, 02:46 PM
It doesn't matter if you delete the group or not, but it should not be listed in the GPO's filtering settings.

---------- Post added at 09:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 AM ----------

Scope tab -> Security Filtering should simply say "Authenticated Users"

Delegation tab should list:
Authenticated Users: Read (from Security Filtering)
Domain Admins: Custom
Enterprise Admins: Custom
Enterprise Domain Controllers: Read
System: Edit settings, delete, modify security

My domain runs at 2008 functional level; domains running at other functional levels may differ, but anyway, those are the two places where the default settings should be in use. Compare to your Default Domain Policy.

The GPO should then only be linked to the new sub-OU.

Mine is exactly the same.
Except in the Scope tab it has Teachers instead of Authenticated Users
Should I change that? I only want it to apply to the users in that OU, which are still in the group "Teachers"

The Delegation Tab is the same, with the exception of "Teachers" being after SYSTEM

theholycow
09-22-2011, 02:52 PM
Yes, the Scope tab should just say Authenticated Users. As long as it's only linked to that sub-OU, it will only apply to objects in that particular OU.

JayBo
09-22-2011, 03:02 PM
Done deal man.
Let's see if it works now.. Bout to go to the workstation I was on yesterday and try it out.

---------- Post added at 09:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 AM ----------

I'll just do a gpupdate /force and let it roll

---------- Post added at 10:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 AM ----------

Well, it didn't work yet :rofl2:

stonehenge
09-22-2011, 03:02 PM
:blah: what does gpresult say on the workstation?

JayBo
09-22-2011, 03:18 PM
Ohh. forgot that command. BRB

---------- Post added at 10:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 AM ----------

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\mbaker>gpresult

Microsoft (R) Windows (R) XP Operating System Group Policy Result tool v2.0
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. 1981-2001

Created On 9/22/2011 at 10:06:08 AM

RSOP results for WEBSTER\mbaker on RM3-14 : Logging Mode
---------------------------------------------------------

OS Type: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Configuration: Member Workstation
OS Version: 5.1.2600
Domain Name: WEBSTER
Domain Type: Windows 2000
Site Name: Default-First-Site-Name
Roaming Profile:
Local Profile: C:\Documents and Settings\mbaker
Connected over a slow link?: No

COMPUTER SETTINGS
------------------
CN=RM3-14,CN=Computers,DC=Webster,DC=k12,DC=ga,DC=us
Last time Group Policy was applied: 9/22/2011 at 9:58:28 AM
Group Policy was applied from: webster-databackup.Webster.k12.ga.us
Group Policy slow link threshold: 500 kbps

Applied Group Policy Objects
-----------------------------
Default Domain Policy

The following GPOs were not applied because they were filtered out
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Teachers
Filtering: Not Applied (Empty)

Local Group Policy

The computer is a part of the following security groups:
--------------------------------------------------------
BUILTIN\Administrators
Everyone
BUILTIN\Users
NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK
NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users
RM3-14$
Domain Computers

USER SETTINGS
--------------
CN=Michael Baker,OU=TeacherOU,DC=Webster,DC=k12,DC=ga,DC=us
Last time Group Policy was applied: 9/22/2011 at 10:05:25 AM
Group Policy slow link threshold: 0 kbps

Teachers
Default Domain Policy
Teachers

Local Group Policy

The user is a part of the following security groups:
----------------------------------------------------
Domain Users
Everyone
BUILTIN\Users
NT AUTHORITY\INTERACTIVE
LOCAL
CWusers
Teachers
Exchange Teachers

C:\Documents and Settings\mbaker>

---------- Post added at 10:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 AM ----------

I see where it says the GPO was not applied b/c it was filtered out???

theholycow
09-22-2011, 03:27 PM
It wasn't applied to Computer Configuration because that half of it was empty. It was applied to User Configuration.

You might need to squeeze more detail out of it to see what it's doing.
gpresult /v

---------- Post added at 10:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 AM ----------

Also, I see two GPOs named Teachers applied to User Configuration.

JayBo
09-22-2011, 03:46 PM
Wtf???

---------- Post added at 10:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 AM ----------

Connected over a slow link?: No

COMPUTER SETTINGS
------------------
CN=RM1-01,CN=Computers,DC=Webster,DC=k12,DC=ga,DC=us
Last time Group Policy was applied: 9/22/2011 at 10:25:19 AM
Group Policy slow link threshold: 500 kbps

Default Domain Policy

Teachers

Local Group Policy

The computer is a part of the following security groups:
--------------------------------------------------------
BUILTIN\Administrators
Everyone
BUILTIN\Users
NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK
RM1-01$
Domain Computers

Resultant Set Of Policies for Computer:
----------------------------------------

Software Installations
----------------------
N/A

Startup Scripts
---------------
N/A

Shutdown Scripts
----------------
N/A

Account Policies
----------------
GPO: Default Domain Policy
Policy: MinimumPasswordAge
Computer Setting: N/A

Policy: PasswordHistorySize

Policy: MinimumPasswordLength

Policy: LockoutBadCount

Policy: MaximumPasswordAge
Computer Setting: 4294967295

Audit Policy
------------
N/A

User Rights
-----------
N/A

Security Options
----------------
Policy: RequireLogonToChangePassword
Computer Setting: Not Enabled

Policy: PasswordComplexity

Policy: ForceLogoffWhenHourExpire

Policy: ClearTextPassword

Event Log Settings
------------------
N/A

Restricted Groups
-----------------
N/A

System Services
---------------
N/A

Registry Settings
-----------------
N/A

File System Settings
--------------------
N/A

Public Key Policies
-------------------
N/A

Administrative Templates
------------------------
Setting: Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\ AU
State: Enabled

Setting: Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\W
inlogon

Setting: Software\Policies\Microsoft\Messenger\Client

Setting: Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies \Syst
em

Setting: Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Group Policy\{42B5F
AAE-6536-11d2-AE5A-0000F87571E3}

State: disabled

USER SETTINGS
--------------
CN=Test Profile,OU=TeacherOU,DC=Webster,DC=k12,DC=ga,DC=us
Last time Group Policy was applied: 9/22/2011 at 10:25:39 AM
Group Policy slow link threshold: 0 kbps

Teachers
Default Domain Policy
Teachers

Local Group Policy

Domain Users
Everyone
BUILTIN\Users
NT AUTHORITY\INTERACTIVE
LOCAL
CWusers
Lab_Security

Resultant Set Of Policies for User:
------------------------------------

Software Installations
----------------------
N/A

Public Key Policies
-------------------
N/A

Administrative Templates
------------------------
Setting: Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies \Wind
owsUpdate

Setting: Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies \Expl
orer

Setting: Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies \Expl
orer

Setting: Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System

Folder Redirection
------------------
N/A

Internet Explorer Browser User Interface
----------------------------------------
Large Animated Bitmap Name: N/A
Large Custom Logo Bitmap Name: N/A
Title BarText: Webster County Schools
UserAgent Text: N/A
Delete existing toolbar buttons: No

Internet Explorer Connection
----------------------------
HTTP Proxy Server: N/A
Secure Proxy Server: N/A
FTP Proxy Server: N/A
Gopher Proxy Server: N/A
Socks Proxy Server: N/A
Auto Config Enable: No
Enable Proxy: No
Use same Proxy: No

Internet Explorer URLs
----------------------
Home page URL: N/A
Search page URL: N/A
Online support page URL: N/A

Internet Explorer Security
--------------------------
Always Viewable Sites: N/A
Password Override Enabled: False

Import the current Content Ratings Settings: No
Import the current Security Zones Settings: No
Import current Authenticode Security Information: No
Enable trusted publisher lockdown: No

Internet Explorer Programs
--------------------------
Import the current Program Settings: No

C:\Documents and Settings\Test_Profile>

theholycow
09-22-2011, 03:51 PM
:think: It says they were applied but lists no settings applied from them. Could try gpresult /z for even more information.

Fucking group policy can be a pain in the ass when it says it works but it doesn't work.

How about testing by configuring a setting that will be obvious and that you know will work but that you don't mess with anywhere else? Something stupid like desktop wallpaper or not allowing the Shut Down button or something.

stonehenge
09-22-2011, 04:09 PM
Domain Users
Everyone
BUILTIN\Users
NT AUTHORITY\INTERACTIVE
LOCAL
CWusers
Lab_Security

:chin: shouldn't it show the Teachers group here

JayBo
09-22-2011, 04:15 PM
:think: It says they were applied but lists no settings applied from them. Could try gpresult /z for even more information.

Fucking group policy can be a pain in the ass when it says it works but it doesn't work.

How about testing by configuring a setting that will be obvious and that you know will work but that you don't mess with anywhere else? Something stupid like desktop wallpaper or not allowing the Shut Down button or something.

Lol. Okay. let me set that up to like disable the start menu or something.

:chin: shouldn't it show the Teachers group here

Should it?!

theholycow
09-22-2011, 04:17 PM
Hello again Rick,
You previously expressed interest in hearing about new IT solutions from our clients, and as we know you can't accept gifts
:what?:

Gimme some fucking gifts
:pissedoff:

, we're offering you a complimentary detailed IT survey report and the opportunity to learn about exciting new technologies from Hewlett-Packard.

The 2011 IT Survey Report, not available to the public, analyzes thousands of responses across hundreds of firms and offers a unique view of key industry problems, iniatives, infrastructures, deployments, best practices and more.

On your 25-minute call with an Elite Partner Executive, you'll learn about HP's latest technologies including the new DL980 G8 server, which supports up to 80 cores and 4 TBs of memory. Also HP's storage solutions and the new Violin Memory SSD performance offering; networking solutions that can cut costs by 90 percent or more; and the Vertica bundle for Business Intelligence and Data Warehousing.

:caoeek:
80 core? 4TB RAM? SSD storage at that level?
:bishplz:

JayBo
09-22-2011, 04:18 PM
Ok, set it to remove the username from the start menu. ya know, at the top.

stonehenge
09-22-2011, 04:19 PM
set it to change all teacher usernames to "Ass Hat" at the top imo

JayBo
09-22-2011, 04:20 PM
Mother fucker... It did it..

stonehenge
09-22-2011, 04:21 PM
and thats in the same GPO as the stuff that isn't working?

JayBo
09-22-2011, 04:22 PM
Yes. exact same one

theholycow
09-22-2011, 04:27 PM
In that case you know the GPO is being applied correctly. Do the settings you're applying conflict with settings in another GPO? Do you know for sure that they work at all?

stonehenge
09-22-2011, 04:35 PM
are you using GP Preferences for anything?

---------- Post added at 08:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 AM ----------

currently writing a bash script to check log/err files for our backups, figure out if any need attention, put all the info in a nicely formatted file and then email me the contents of said file :pepper:

JayBo
09-22-2011, 04:37 PM
In that case you know the GPO is being applied correctly. Do the settings you're applying conflict with settings in another GPO? Do you know for sure that they work at all?

They shouldn't! I only have 3 GPO's. One for Teachers, Default, and one for the Labs to keep the kids from changing shit all around.

stonehenge
09-22-2011, 04:49 PM
I always forget, are you on server 03 or 08?

---------- Post added at 08:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 AM ----------

================================================== =============================
| NOTE: all files will be in /home/BAMFs/Juan!/logs/backuplogs |
================================================== =============================

| >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ERROR FILES GREATER THAN 0 BYTES <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< |
|================================================= ============================|
| size | filename |
298 blahblahTEST-343434.err

| >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> LOG FILES WITH POTENTIAL PROBLEMS <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< |
|================================================= ============================|
| filename |
blahblahTEST-343434.log

:thatlldopig:

JayBo
09-22-2011, 04:50 PM
Oh tree

stonehenge
09-22-2011, 04:51 PM
:chin: can haz screenshot of the "Settings" part of the policy?

theholycow
09-22-2011, 04:51 PM
Logs?

Wait for someone to complain, fix it, now I'm their hero.
:fuckyeah:

stonehenge
09-22-2011, 04:52 PM
:jester: we have way too many people here that are asshats, need to watch damn logs :fp:

JayBo
09-22-2011, 04:59 PM
fack cannot access Photobucket right meow... holds plz

---------- Post added at 11:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 AM ----------

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a342/jceverett/GPO1.jpg

stonehenge
09-22-2011, 05:08 PM
When you go to the workstation and open an explorer window, can you get to that path? just to make sure that isn't the problem

JayBo
09-22-2011, 06:29 PM
Yes. It opens right up

stonehenge
09-22-2011, 06:43 PM
:chin:

Chevrolet Fanatic
09-22-2011, 07:22 PM
Have fun with that dude. Thats about the size of the bank I used to work for.
I also had 2 ppl that worked w me.
It's not a bad gig, you just have to be EXTRA careful w how you do shit, and you HAVE to do it by the FDIC guidelines. And they will audit you.. very much a lot.

http://ragecomics.memebase.com/wp-content/themes/vip/cheezcommon2/ragecomic/packs/scared/images/Shocked.png

:scared:

JayBo
09-22-2011, 08:13 PM
No ideas? Has been working on this all day. No luck yet. I don't get it.
Do I possibly need to give the TeacherOU members more than just basic privelages?

stonehenge
09-22-2011, 08:22 PM
if they can see that drive when you punch it into explorer then i don't see why your that policy wouldn't work :think:

Chevrolet Fanatic
09-22-2011, 08:22 PM
Well guys, I'm going to use some of the Microsoft TechNet Virtual Labs to learn some of the more difficult things, that should help some. I didn't even know they offered such a thing.

theholycow
09-22-2011, 08:30 PM
I am confuse. It should work.

Looking at mine, I've got %homeshare%\Documents as the path. I don't remember doing it that way. Weirder, when I go to edit it, no folder redirection settings are defined. :wtf:

---------- Post added at 03:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 PM ----------

Where are these virtual labs?

Jay, also when you test by typing in stuff manually, are you using the %username% variable or the actual username?

JayBo
09-22-2011, 08:36 PM
I use the %username% variable

---------- Post added at 03:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 PM ----------

These labs are all over the school

there are 2 on this hall, 2 on another hall and 2 on a diff wing.

All in all, 6 labs. each with about 30 machines

stonehenge
09-22-2011, 08:40 PM
take them all off domain and use local accounts, no backups, FIDIL

JayBo
09-23-2011, 02:41 PM
No can do compadre!

theholycow
09-23-2011, 03:00 PM
Labs are a pain in the ass.

JayBo
09-23-2011, 03:26 PM
sometimes the whole fuckin network is a pain in the ass..

theholycow
09-23-2011, 03:53 PM
Pinche students...kid just came in, wanted me to reset his password. He has no photo ID on him and I've never seen him before. :facepalm:

stonehenge
09-23-2011, 04:13 PM
i get halp tickets similar to that all the time

"need pass reset thx"

Lab? Office machine? Your email password? Which one!?

theholycow
09-23-2011, 04:32 PM
Thankfully he came back with a professor to vouch for him.

Y U NO CARRY ID?

Bass
09-23-2011, 04:35 PM
http://lifehacker.com/5838440/how-i-got-my-stolen-laptop-back-within-24-hours-using-prey

Thoughts?

stonehenge
09-23-2011, 05:00 PM
Sounds bamf, I may install that on mine. My craptop doesn't have a camera :blah: but knowing its location and getting screenshots would be pretty bamf :hmm:

theholycow
09-23-2011, 05:11 PM
Totally BAMF. Wonder if it's appropriate for enterprise use...

Bass
09-23-2011, 05:15 PM
Would be BAMF until you got the screen shots.....

http://alltheragefaces.com/img/faces/large/fap-l.png

lol I'd post that shit ALL over the net

VmaxEngage
09-23-2011, 05:43 PM
Would be good if it wasnt password detected. Most people dunno how to get in them. Bamf tho damn kids

theholycow
09-23-2011, 08:47 PM
To hell with paper size settings and printers

Every fucking program defaults to A4 on every fucking printer, local or network, on my computer only. No matter how many times I change the default in the two places in Printer Properites, no matter how many times I try to save default templates in programs, every fucking time I open a fucking program and try to print it wants to print A4.

Other Windows 7 and XP boxen on the network do not have this problem.

I WILL NEVER USE A4 PAPER FOR AS LONG AS I LIVE
:pissedoff:

stonehenge
09-23-2011, 09:42 PM
:scared:

srs printers should just die, all computers go paperless imo

Bass
09-24-2011, 08:42 AM
Anyone using Google Music? Adam hooked me up tonight and it seems pretty BAMF! Free'd up a lot of my SD space and I still have my music. It says "free for now" so hopefully they don't start charging for it later.

stonehenge
09-24-2011, 09:24 AM
they will at some point, whether its "pay or get nothing" or "here's 1gb free, pay for more" or whatever who knows

i have an invite but meh

Bass
09-24-2011, 10:06 AM
Wan is says betas are too mainstream :emobye:

stonehenge
09-24-2011, 10:14 AM
:lol: nah and i love Google products too, I bet it works great for what it is, I just don't think I'd use it. I really only listen to music on my phone anymore, not my computer/laptop or anywhere else. So having my music on my phone is fine. Plus I don't want to get used to it and then have to pay :roflmao: FTS im poor

theholycow
09-26-2011, 03:18 PM
I just found out that our new servers are arriving today.

I'M NOT READY!

stonehenge
09-26-2011, 08:08 PM
Those HP storage ones? Or something else?

theholycow
09-26-2011, 09:23 PM
No, the HP SANs are part of the reason why I'm not ready. The new servers are VMWare ESX 5 hosts.

The other part of why I'm not ready is two Cisco Catalyist 2960-S switches. I've finally got my configuration all written, and I'm currently dumping the configuration onto them, but as always I have this fucking problem where Cisco switches freeze up on me or something...don't know what the fuck the deal is but it happens every time I dump a configuration. I really need to try something other than PuTTY in case it's at fault.

stonehenge
09-26-2011, 10:31 PM
use a mac or linux box imo

:datNativeTerminal:

Chevrolet Fanatic
09-26-2011, 10:50 PM
Went and interviewed today, was asked what salary I was looking for. Didn't have a fucking clue, low balled myself by like $10,000 at least. After I got home I looked up the average salary for an IT manager who is just starting out. Most places said like at least $45,000 if not more.....I said $35,000 to $40,000.

:fulloffuck:

Cez★
09-26-2011, 10:54 PM
:closeenough:

Chevrolet Fanatic
09-26-2011, 10:56 PM
Will negotiate if get job.

http://ragecomics.memebase.com/wp-content/themes/vip/cheezcommon2/ragecomic/packs/fyea/images/CloseEnough.png

IMO

theholycow
09-26-2011, 11:48 PM
use a mac or linux box imo

:datNativeTerminal:
:chin: I never considered a "native terminal", I use minicom (http://oreilly.com/openbook/debian/book/figs/deb.1128.gif) when in linux. Are you talking about some kind of redirecting a virtual terminal to /dev/ttys0?

Went and interviewed today, was asked what salary I was looking for. Didn't have a fucking clue, low balled myself by like $10,000 at least. After I got home I looked up the average salary for an IT manager who is just starting out. Most places said like at least $45,000 if not more.....I said $35,000 to $40,000.

fulloffuck:

Was that number for WV, or the whole US?

What you said is probably reasonable for your experience level in your area, I think you got it just right...don't want to come on too strong, save that for stepping up to a better job once you have some experience on your resume.

stonehenge
09-27-2011, 12:01 AM
Or showing them you are bamf and then bluffing and getting a raise later :trolldad:

Cao, I haven't had to fux with cisco routers but if putty is connecting to them, I don't see how you can't do it via the terminal on a mac or linux box. Pretty sure le coworker uses the terminal on his macbook with a usb>serial adapter.

Chevrolet Fanatic
09-27-2011, 02:01 AM
Was that number for WV, or the whole US?

What you said is probably reasonable for your experience level in your area, I think you got it just right...don't want to come on too strong, save that for stepping up to a better job once you have some experience on your resume.

That was for WV. I think it was best I went a little lower like that during an interview, but I might try for a little more if I get the position when it comes salary negotiation time. I have the salary reports/charts/info to support my suggestions if I do. I don't want to ask for too much though.

theholycow
09-27-2011, 02:25 AM
Keep in mind that you feel a bit underqualified and haven't had the experience as a junior/assistant net/system administrator that a beginning head (or only) net/system administrator usually has.

Of course, once they're invested in you, once they've made an offer...that's definitely your chance to try to get more.

JayBo
09-27-2011, 01:41 PM
"The trust relationship between this workstation and primary domain failed."

:fp:

stonehenge
09-27-2011, 01:53 PM
We had to deal with that error A LOT but it was due to our Linux/Samba setup. Not sure how to fix it when it happens on a Server 2003 domain.

JayBo
09-27-2011, 01:59 PM
It's a PITA.

If I go on the server and delete the computer account, then manually re-add it, it works fine for about a day, then same error...

stonehenge
09-27-2011, 02:01 PM
Sounds ratard. Only on one machine?

theholycow
09-27-2011, 02:18 PM
I hate that fucking shit. I've seen that before.

Right now I'm configuring etherchannel bonding so I can hook up a pair of stacked 2960-S switches to my 4503-E core switch via two fiber cables. This is srs bsns. I feel like a BAMF IT cao right now. :caosecurity:

stonehenge
09-27-2011, 02:34 PM
fiber is win fast

theholycow
09-27-2011, 02:42 PM
:shrug: Not really, it's mainly good for long distances and freeing up copper ports on the switch...still gigabit, same as you can run over Cat5e or Cat6 (or Cat5 if you DGAF). If I had some copper ports available on the core switch I'd consider saving the fiber equipment for longer runs and just using copper for this since it's in the server room with the core switch.

stonehenge
09-27-2011, 02:51 PM
fine then :crossarms:

It's nice and easy to connect raids to a switch/server with it. Much better than SCSI with its terminators and shit.

theholycow
09-27-2011, 04:04 PM
Foshizzle.

---------- Post added at 11:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 AM ----------

I'm digging in to the SAN again, now that the switches are pretty much done...I don't feel like BAMF IT cao anymore. http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv315/theh0lyc0w/EmotiCows/emow.gif

stonehenge
09-27-2011, 04:28 PM
:roflsad:

theholycow
09-27-2011, 07:42 PM
:fiwdil:

Asking on pre-sales support chat as if I don't actually have one.

theholycow
09-30-2011, 02:33 PM
Yesterday I ran 500 feet of cat5e and cat6 in a 4 foot span, then learned how to join a switch to a VTP domain and name a VLAN.

stonehenge
09-30-2011, 07:56 PM
http://i.imgur.com/UPDV0h.jpg

theholycow
09-30-2011, 08:02 PM
:bowroflwerd6:

theholycow
10-01-2011, 02:32 PM
I thought I was connected to my VPN and tried to go to this address to check the status of a piece of equipment:
http://10.10.7.242
Instead, I got someone's cable modem.

C:\>tracert -d 10.10.7.242

Tracing route to 10.10.7.242 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 2 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.0.1
2 12 ms 10 ms 19 ms 10.2.248.1
3 10 ms 9 ms 10 ms 68.9.8.73
4 15 ms 13 ms 11 ms 98.190.160.193
5 13 ms 10 ms 12 ms 98.190.33.33
6 13 ms 12 ms 10 ms 68.9.9.186
7 29 ms 25 ms 22 ms 10.10.7.242

Trace complete.

:wtf: That address isn't supposed to be routed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network#Misrouting).

stonehenge
10-01-2011, 08:25 PM
:lol:

Chevrolet Fanatic
10-02-2011, 01:45 AM
http://i.imgur.com/UPDV0h.jpg

Nobody ever respects the IT guy.

:truestorymeme:

stonehenge
10-02-2011, 02:00 AM
Yep, they only call you when there is a problem so they associate you with trouble rather than the fact that their computers/servers have been up for months or years without issue.

The ones that appreciate me the most are peeps who ask for shared drives, bulk amounts of accounts, websites, etc.

theholycow
10-02-2011, 02:02 AM
A lot of people where I work see me as their hero, saving the day when shit fails.

Then there's the ones who just associate me with trouble, of course.

stonehenge
10-02-2011, 02:13 AM
Well as a sysadmin they usually associate me with dead servers since I never show up in their office to fix that toolbar that won't go away or replace their monitor that has lines in it. :(

There are a few that consider me hero-status, mostly business managers who ask for bulk accounts to be created/deleted or for shares to be setup between specific users.

I have got quite a few ZOMG THANK YOU from people who forgot passwords tho :jester:

stonehenge
10-03-2011, 05:14 PM
from reddit:

A colleague of mine sent this to me in an IM program this morning:

At 8:07:45 AM "Colleague" wrote:
Application: PC
Issue/error message: Not working.
Troubleshooting:
User called to advise that both his monitors are black and his PC is not working.
Asked if the power buttons are backlit with an orange light at all
User advised that both monitors are
Asked if the PC tower power button have a light showing at all
User advised no.
Asked if the PC tower firmly plugged into the power socket
User advised Yes.
Asked what is happening when the power button is pushed
User advised that he was told not to touch any of that and normally does not have to as his PC is always on.
Advised User to push the power button on the PC Tower.
User advised that both monitors are now displaying things.

At 8:08:03 AM "You" wrote: Is this a real call you took today? Or just from like Reddit or some other site?

At 8:08:48 AM "Colleague" wrote: Yes. Real call.

[There was an animated gif here of a person banging their head on their desk here]

At 8:08:58 AM "Colleague" wrote: My face hurts now.

At 8:09:10 AM "You" wrote: I'm putting this on Reddit tonight! lol

At 8:09: 26 AM "Colleague" wrote: HAHAHA! Do it! And send me the link!

stonehenge
10-06-2011, 06:49 PM
Cao/Yaybo:

Have you ever run into a machine that refuses to boot up AT ALL just because the CMOS battery is weak/dead? I'm dealing with that shit right now.

This machine was brought to me a couple months ago, it had been sitting and refused to boot. When you turned it on, the power light lit up for a second, the case fan turned on, and the monitor flickered for a second. That's it. No POST, no beeps, no errors, no lights on the mobo, nothing.

First thought was power supply, mobo, or memory. Or videocard and I just wasn't seeing it boot. Tried swapping out memory, videocard, and mobo, made no difference. Found another machine that was the same model, swapped the hard drives to it and then I realized it had been sitting a while and refused to start up also. Both of these machines had NO problems before they sat a while.

Put a CMOS battery from the working machine into the fucker and it booted right up. :fp:

Who the fuck makes a computer rely 100% on that battery!? Not even an error!? Idiots.

So now its been sitting a while and again won't boot. I put a battery in it from a different box and it ran for a few minutes then died. Gonna go buy a new battery when admin woman gets back to give me $. Stupidest design evar.

theholycow
10-06-2011, 07:11 PM
Sounds like a short on the motherboard is causing the symptom and draining the battery. I wouldn't be surprised if a new battery doesn't last long.

JayBo
10-06-2011, 07:12 PM
I have never had one do that. Usually when mine refuse to boot, I have to remove and re-seat the RAM.
That is a shitty design.. I mean srsly.

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 PM ----------

I'm trying to decide how to deploy a printer to every teacher workstation... without having to individually go to each machine to install it.

stonehenge
10-06-2011, 08:21 PM
Well this other machine is the same model and doing the same thing. I mentioned it earlier in a meeting with le techs and they said they've had a few gateways that they eventually assumed had dead mobos and tossed them. They didn't try replacing the battery. POS Gateways.

theholycow
10-06-2011, 08:21 PM
If you come up with a decent way to do it without third party software, please let me know. I've never had any success with GPO printer deployment and never bothered with command line in a script.

JayBo
10-06-2011, 08:52 PM
Shit. i can't do it VIA gpo bc my server is not 2003 R2..

stonehenge
10-06-2011, 08:53 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again and probably many more times during my life:

:pissedoff:FUCK. PRINTERS.

JayBo
10-06-2011, 08:53 PM
You sir, are correct.

---------- Post added at 03:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 PM ----------

Who needs to print anything now days. Fuck paper.

stonehenge
10-06-2011, 08:58 PM
Tell school you are going green and have recycled all printers.

theholycow
10-06-2011, 09:10 PM
:word:

JayBo
10-11-2011, 08:31 PM
This GPO crap is making me le mad

I can run the bat file on the workstation and it does exactly as it is supposed to.
Also, the folder-redirection is still not working.

theholycow
10-11-2011, 08:36 PM

Speaking of crap making us le mad, how about this: I want to create a domain account that has local administrator privileges on all regular domain computers but does not have any domain administrator privileges. How the hell do I do that?

stonehenge
10-11-2011, 09:54 PM
FIDIL every tech can haz log into servers

apedestrian
10-12-2011, 01:44 AM
has no idea what the fuck happened to my internet :fp:

basically it's name/password changed back to cisco5352 or whatever and i have no idea how to change the password back to what we had it as :uhoh:

---------- Post added at 12:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 AM ----------

i hit the reset button on the back of my wireless router so that might of fucked some shit up :uhohshrug:

---------- Post added at 12:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 AM ----------

talkin with cisco gai right now

stonehenge
10-12-2011, 04:29 AM
pinche ape :fp:

should be able to go to the web interface and change all your settings back

apedestrian
10-12-2011, 04:49 AM
i should just format the hard drive :rofl:

stonehenge
10-12-2011, 04:49 AM
if that was a srs idea then plz go

apedestrian
10-12-2011, 04:52 AM
:troll:

theholycow
10-12-2011, 03:03 PM
I don't know WTF I'm doing with MS SQL server and creating a database and shit. I installed SQL server, created the appropriate DSN, and am trying to install vCenter but it tells me that the DSN is associated with the "master" database and I need to use a different database. I see how to adjust the DSN, but how do I create a databse?

stonehenge
10-12-2011, 03:09 PM
i don't know shit about databases :fp:

theholycow
10-12-2011, 03:29 PM
...ok, got it figured out.

JayBo
10-12-2011, 04:02 PM
WHAT THE FUCKKKKKK
Why wont this damn GPO fuckin work!@$@$

theholycow
10-12-2011, 04:20 PM
Because GPOs are a bitch when they don't work. Have you used verbose logging? I don't remember how and it never seemed to help, but it might be worth a try.

stonehenge
10-12-2011, 04:23 PM
cuz bilg8z

apedestrian
10-12-2011, 04:31 PM
cisco gai told me to un instal cisco connect pero when i go on add and remove programs it's not there. then i tried starting this computer today and it kept restarting at the windows loading screen :uhoh:

stonehenge
10-12-2011, 04:35 PM
What the hell did you do brah. :fp:

JayBo
10-12-2011, 04:36 PM
has not tried any kind of verbose anything :(

:confused:

apedestrian
10-12-2011, 04:38 PM
no fucking clue brohan :uhoh:

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i466/stevewiese2/paint.jpg

ok so i downloaded this yesterday and my computer stopped working after this installed and i turned my computer off :fp:

---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 PM ----------

i think im just computer challenged :roflfp:

stonehenge
10-12-2011, 04:41 PM
there are SO MANY things wrong with that picture

AOL
MSN
IE
Norton
Rhapsody
etc

Is that a new computer? Or is that the downstairs one you always talk about?

---------- Post added at 08:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 AM ----------

Oh so it was SP3 that killed your computer. Interesting..

If it were me... pull HD, plug it into a different computer and copy off any files of importance, put the HD back into the computer and format/reinstall windows. But that is just me, I always prefer le nuke and pave approach instead of fixing a fucked install.

Cao on the other hand has more experience in actually fixing the problems :roflmao: you might be able to roll back somehow using a restore disc.

apedestrian
10-12-2011, 04:48 PM
its my downstairs comp and i just did a destructive system restore on it so yea, those came with the pc :rofl:

theholycow
10-12-2011, 04:52 PM
FIDIL do another destructive restore.

stonehenge
10-12-2011, 04:53 PM
destructive restore = hit with hammer and buy new one?

theholycow
10-12-2011, 04:54 PM
Kill it with fire and get insurance money.

apedestrian
10-12-2011, 05:34 PM
I'm installing the service pack 3 again :rofl:

hopefully this time it doesn't fuck up my computer. :(

---------- Post added at 03:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

destructive restore = hit with hammer and buy new one?

would be the smarter way of fixing it:lol:

---------- Post added at 04:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 PM ----------

ok so i installed the service pack 3 and it wont fucking start normally again :happy:

Wan can u come over and make sure this computer gets destroyed :sneaky: make it look like a accident

---------- Post added at 04:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 PM ----------

:better: i was able to change my routers password and name in safe mode

:idgaf: if this computer doesn't work :bishplz:

stonehenge
10-12-2011, 05:45 PM
copy shit from safemode
format
install version of xp with sp3 included already or install w7

apedestrian
10-12-2011, 05:48 PM
copy shit from safemode
format
install version of xp with sp3 included already or install w7

we have a vista cd around here somewhere :hmm: pero the only one who uses that pc is my sister and sometimes my dad uses it :shrug:

stonehenge
10-12-2011, 05:52 PM
then fts roll it back to pre-sp3 where it works and leave it alone :roflmao:

theholycow
10-12-2011, 05:56 PM
:word: Fuck SP3, it doesn't like you.

apedestrian
10-12-2011, 06:08 PM
lol just did that :happeh:

theholycow
10-12-2011, 07:43 PM
1. Install VMWare vCenter on a VM.
2. Create VMWare vCenter vSphere cluster.
3. Add host machines to it.
4. Adding the host that's running the vCenter VM fails because you can't add a host with running VMs. Have to shut down VM.
5. If I shut down that VM, vSphere won't be available for me to add the host to the cluster.
:impossibru:

---------- Post added at 02:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

Found a KB article on it...
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1013111&sliceId=1&docTypeID=DT_KB_1_1&dialogID=250440858&stateId=1%200%20250448170
:fulloffuck:

Chevrolet Fanatic
10-13-2011, 09:17 PM
Well, I finally heard back about that job I was talking about and I need some advice. They hired some other guy for the IT Manager position, he's an older guy I'm assuming. They said he wanted someone else hired to help him as an assistant and they called me offering that position instead. Pay would be $24,000, but I don't even know if they would help me pay for travel expenses, since I would be the one traveling to each of the bank branches. I'm guessing all I'll be doing is help desk support work again. I was hoping to get some server admin experience but probably won't get shit now.

Think I should take it? Or should I continue to try and find a job as a junior network admin, which is what I really want to do?

stonehenge
10-13-2011, 09:20 PM
Well how has the job market been where you've been looking? If it's shitty, you might want to take it and either keep looking while you use that job for experience or try and get the old guy to let you help out on some stuff. Might be a good chance to gain some server experience without having to take on the whole job on your own.

But that's only if the old guy lets you.

Chevrolet Fanatic
10-13-2011, 10:35 PM
Yeah, that's the thing, not knowing how the guy they hired is going to be. If I take it I just pray he's not a dick, because that's why I left the last place I worked, the boss was a complete asshole pile of shit.

stonehenge
10-13-2011, 10:41 PM
Well that's a risk you always take unless you are the only IT person there. And even then you risk the administration above you being dicks. If you've been waiting a long time already to get a job you might want to take it :shrug:

theholycow
10-13-2011, 11:05 PM
Job > no job

stonehenge
10-13-2011, 11:06 PM
:imo :word: :serio:

Chevrolet Fanatic
10-14-2011, 08:14 PM
Talked to the guy some more, and they said they won't pay for travel expenses for me going to the different bank branches, which I would be doing almost every day. I don't think I can accept $24,000 a year, plus having to pay for my own gas and everything. I know I'm young and just starting out but FTS. I'll just continue to look elsewhere. I want experience but I also don't want people taking advantage of me.

Cez★
10-14-2011, 08:20 PM
Fkn jew bastards

theholycow
10-14-2011, 08:30 PM
Yeah, that doesn't sound like it's a good idea after all.

lowerc
10-14-2011, 08:44 PM
Talked to the guy some more, and they said they won't pay for travel expenses for me going to the different bank branches, which I would be doing almost every day.

FTS, burn the place down.
If it is a requirement of the job to be going to various places they should either
A) give you a car
B) pay atleast 40 cents/km

stonehenge
10-14-2011, 09:14 PM
km

lowerc
10-14-2011, 11:00 PM
I was exited about burning the place down. didn't even think I had to convert for you yahoos. :canadian: 64 cents/mile. better?

stonehenge
10-15-2011, 12:08 AM
i dunno why yall canadaierz dont be using the same measurements as erryone else :pissedfist:

http://philosophistry.com/scans/2010/troll-usa.png

lowerc
10-15-2011, 02:09 AM

was going to make a comment but I have nothing to say after the troll yankee flag :repz:

Cez★
10-15-2011, 02:50 AM
think u mean why US uses different measuremtns

lowerc
10-15-2011, 02:55 AM
:orly:

Cez★
10-15-2011, 02:56 AM
:yarly:

lowerc
10-15-2011, 02:56 AM
:nowai:

Cez★
10-15-2011, 02:58 AM
:yawai:

Chevrolet Fanatic
10-15-2011, 06:06 AM
Well, things are looking good still yet regardless of those douches. I was contacted by 2 places today about job offers so I may get lucky soon.

Fkn jew bastards

:truestorymeme:

FTS, burn the place down.
If it is a requirement of the job to be going to various places they should either
A) give you a car
B) pay atleast 40 cents/km

Yeah, I figured they would at least pay me so much per mile or something but they were too cheap to even do that shit.

km

stonehenge
10-15-2011, 07:22 AM
think u mean why US uses different measuremtns

:derp:

JayBo
10-17-2011, 03:28 PM
Microsoft Exchange sucks the big dick of life

theholycow
10-17-2011, 03:48 PM
No. I can't let myself believe that. I'm in the process of going to a huge new Exchange implementation, and we're going to a new IP phone system that runs on Microsoft Lync.

JayBo
10-17-2011, 04:02 PM
I fucking hate it. It causes me grief!!

BTW, this is the last email I sent :rofl2:

I hate to sound stupid, but you guys have lost me..
I have no idea what's going on.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, October 17, 2011 10:44 AM
To: Jamie McCullough; Jason Williams; Jayson Everett; Lesley Hill
Subject: FW: FW: ELLis Essentials and ELLis Academic Training

.....and
Sent: Friday, October 14, 2011 9:50 AM
To: Rachel Speegle
Subject: Re: FW: ELLis Essentials and ELLis Academic Training

Hi Rachel,

I apologize but was unable to check email yesterday. Jason did fine at the training. The log in information for Academic was sent to the district technology director.

Amy Lacher
Program Specialist
ESOL/Title III Consortium Monitor
Division of Curriculum and Instruction
Georgia Department of Education
1770 Twin Towers East
Atlanta, GA 30334

stonehenge
10-17-2011, 09:28 PM
Should have just sent: :towelie:

theholycow
10-20-2011, 02:12 PM
Have I bitched about Microsoft Office 2010's hybrid MDI/SDI bullshit lately? FUCKING CHOOSE, MICROSOFT!

Microsoft,
:yuno:
Y U NO OBEY YOUR OWN STANDARDS?

Alt-tab and ctrl-tab do the same fucking thing. My taskbar is full of all my documents but I can close them all by clicking a single X. I have to go out of my way to tile or cascade documents, and god forbid I want to display one on one monitor and one on my other monitor.

I think I'm going to switch to OpenOffice, where I'll also have a good old fashioned menu bar, even though it means I'll be out of practice when users ask me questions about MS Orifice.

stonehenge
10-20-2011, 02:28 PM
Just leave Orifice installed so when a ticket comes in you can figure it out really quick before you go show them

:troll:

Chevrolet Fanatic
10-20-2011, 07:47 PM
Declined that job offer on Monday, they asked what was the reason I didn't accept...

At first I was like...

:what?:

Then I...

stonehenge
10-21-2011, 05:22 PM
Cao/Yaybo - The data drive on our 2003 server filled up last night. I need to find out who dropped a bunch of shit on it.

I'm trying to use "Search" from the start menu but it isn't finding shit. I told it to search that drive, find all files and folders, search hidden folders, system folders, etc. Told it to find items created in the last 2 days, didn't find shit, told it to find modified in the last 2 days, just gave me back two folders that are top-level folders and don't tell me who within that folder is the offender. :blah:

theholycow
10-21-2011, 05:28 PM
Turn the indexing service off. If it's off, turn it on.

Sometimes Windows search is a bitch. Try a portable aftermarket search program. Come to think of it, I think treesize (remember that one?) can sort by date...and even if not it'll find the big offenders.

stonehenge
10-21-2011, 05:32 PM
I already have treesize (portable :shake:) open to see who is using the most but you can only sort by name and size, no date. :(

theholycow
10-21-2011, 06:00 PM
A somewhat logical and common configuration is to run VMWare vCenter Server with MS SQL Server on the same computer. Nowhere is it ever mentioned that they FIGHT OVER PORT 80 AND FAIL TO GIVE YOU REASONABLE ERROR MESSAGES!

Twice I've spent half a day troubleshooting it...today I totally forgot that it happened last time, and it totally didn't even occur to me because I forgot I installed a second SQL instance.

stonehenge
10-21-2011, 06:10 PM
This can be fixed by cleansing port 80 with fire.

theholycow
10-21-2011, 06:12 PM
:word:

apedestrian
10-22-2011, 02:46 AM
So I'm using one of my neighbors wireless internet :rofluhoh:

I think our Modem is shitting out so we gonna have to get a comcast gai to come over and tell us that its broken :blah: (and hopefully replace it before bf3 :pissed:

stonehenge
10-22-2011, 05:44 AM
Plug cable straight from modem to computer and see if you have internets. If yes then its probably your router.

apedestrian
10-22-2011, 05:20 PM
our router is only a year old tho :hmm:

---------- Post added at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

I'm trying to install this router disc on my computer to temporary get the internet(cause our other computer doesnt work when i plug the modem cable into it) but it says it couldn't find/detect the router :shrug: