PDA

View Full Version : IT Thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

2005_Silverado
01-21-2010, 06:41 PM
it's nice brah cuz peeps share theyz calendario and you can see when they're open. You can also setup groups (iz in auditing group)....when we go out, we just setup an appointment and include ginger supv so he knows wez/Iz out. Pretty bamf since it's global but can also be :secret:

stonehenge
01-21-2010, 06:47 PM
See my problem is, all we really need is a way to see who is here and who is out and why. That's really it. It doesn't even need to manage appointments or groups or keep track of hours or anything in our case. Our timesheets are handled elsewhere as well as appointments. Everything I find does way more than we need and is $$$. :insane:

theholycow
01-21-2010, 08:32 PM
We have a complete Exchange/Outlook system.

We don't use it for that, though.

---------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 PM ----------

Anyone have a proper DR (disaster recovery) plan, or at least a well-documented backup plan? Care to share it with me? I need to write one up and I'd love to have a sample for format and content.

2005_Silverado
01-21-2010, 08:35 PM
we would ALWAYS write up district IT departments for not having a DRP :roflmao:

stonehenge
01-21-2010, 08:50 PM
our DRP be "put 'BRB' note on the door and gtfo of town"

theholycow
01-21-2010, 08:58 PM
Our current DRP is "Get call, stand in front of fan as shit hits it, get covered in shit."

stonehenge
01-21-2010, 09:08 PM
In case of disaster, all employees will grab their shit, remove all money from their bank accounts, get loved ones, fill the tank, and fuckin' drive.

2005_Silverado
01-21-2010, 09:27 PM
being a .gov...Iz REQUIRED to come in to work :taloco:

stonehenge
01-21-2010, 09:29 PM
rofl being a server gai i'd prob have to also

"ZOMG POWER DOWN NEED FILEZ :shitself: WHERE IS SERVAR GAIZZ OMG"

theholycow
01-21-2010, 09:31 PM
When we had a huge storm that knocked out power for a week, my boss had to go in, get a server, and bring it to his grandma's house to get power to it so they could get some data.

stonehenge
01-21-2010, 09:33 PM
yep and most the time they prob don't even need that shit asap, they just like to think they do and feel important :jester:

2005_Silverado
01-21-2010, 09:38 PM
thc...i try to get you DRP from one of me old co-workers :shake: hopefully it be in .wps format so u can modify

stonehenge
01-21-2010, 09:40 PM
THC, just go through it and replace company names and whatnot, don't even read it FIWDIL

theholycow
01-21-2010, 09:42 PM
:lol: That'd be an awful idea, I could get stuck doing all kinds of crap I don't wanna do.

stonehenge
01-21-2010, 09:45 PM
pff when the time comes FIDIL

theholycow
01-22-2010, 05:54 PM
Anybody have a program that scans for and lists orphaned Application Data folders? Like, you uninstall a program and it leaves its stuff in Application Data.

I've been using Revo Uninstaller to get rid of a bunch of shitz but now I've got all that other crap that it doesn't help with...

stonehenge
01-22-2010, 10:06 PM
nope :shrug:

theholycow
01-25-2010, 05:16 PM
Where can I buy a retail Windows XP license? I have a customer who wants XP dual-booting on his laptop and I'd like to do it legit.

stonehenge
01-25-2010, 07:01 PM
good question :think: do they still sell it?

theholycow
01-25-2010, 07:52 PM
:rofl2: Ok, I looked up downgrade rights and it said you can't have downgrade rights with a retail packaged Vista/7 OS...but for some reason it hadn't occured to me that his computer came with OEM Vista and he does have downgrade rights. :facepalm:

stonehenge
01-25-2010, 11:33 PM
http://www.michaelv.org/

2005_Silverado
01-25-2010, 11:42 PM
omg...BAMF site

stonehenge
01-25-2010, 11:43 PM
hell ya Windows 3.1 :humping: play mindsweeper, KYS

theholycow
01-26-2010, 02:26 AM
OH
MY
FUCKING
GAWD

That is so AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JayBo
01-26-2010, 02:58 PM
NICE! I just used win 3.1 for the first time in 13 years

theholycow
01-27-2010, 03:36 PM
I went to see a user whose wireless mouse AND wired mouse were both not working. I got there and this is what I found:
- The wired mouse was actually not a mouse at all...it was the wireless mouse receiver.
- The wireless mouse needed new batteries, but it was in denial and kept lighting up properly anyway.

---------- Post added at 09:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 AM ----------

I just got the news that Office 2010 won't be able to be installed with a .MSI file. :wtf: Fucking Microsoft. I thought that they want everyone to use .MSI installations with GPOs to install software. Now the only way is going back to 1985 style...put it in a fucking batch file.

Assholes.

stonehenge
01-27-2010, 04:21 PM
MS = Asshats

stonehenge
01-27-2010, 09:04 PM
I just walked half a mile with one of these:

http://www.bigkey.com/pic/apc/apc_back-ups_pro_650.jpg

It doesn't sound far and as far as UPSes go, this one isn't very big, but fuck I am tired wtf.

BillyJeanKing
01-27-2010, 09:05 PM
what is it?

stonehenge
01-27-2010, 09:09 PM
Its a battery backup. You plug yo shit in to it so that when the power goes out, yo shit stays on :high5:

These little guys can keep a normal computer/monitor going for long enough to make it through quick power outages or long enough to shut down correctly before the battery dies.

BillyJeanKing
01-27-2010, 09:34 PM
kewl

so you could still be on da computer pr0n when the powers out?

theholycow
01-27-2010, 09:39 PM
Yup. You have to plug your cable modem into it too, though.

BillyJeanKing
01-27-2010, 09:39 PM
:shake: good to know

non-stop fapping ftw

stonehenge
01-27-2010, 10:00 PM
:word: I want to get one at me house, for now all my shit turns off :blah:

theholycow
01-27-2010, 10:05 PM
Just get a laptop. Then you only need to power your router and modem. If they have wall warts, you can just replace the AC power adapter with a direct DC line from your truck (if 12v) or from your laptop USB (if 5v).

stonehenge
01-27-2010, 10:09 PM
Actually I would probably have to power a satellite dish to keep my internet working :rofl2: or do they not have power and are just an antenna? hmm

theholycow
01-27-2010, 10:21 PM
If they get power, they get it from the receiver the plugs into them.

Cez★
01-27-2010, 10:28 PM
:hmm: i should get if i remodel room

stonehenge
01-27-2010, 10:30 PM
You don't need to remodel the room to add a battery backup wey

Cez★
01-27-2010, 10:31 PM
nah pero is no have free outlets right now with teh way my room is

stonehenge
01-27-2010, 10:32 PM
That is what is pimp. You unplug the computer/monitor and plug them into the battery, the battery takes up 1 plug. So you end up with one more outlet in the wall than you started with. :rofl2:

Cez★
01-27-2010, 10:35 PM
ORLY?? score

stonehenge
01-27-2010, 10:40 PM
BUT they are expensive and you shouldn't really plug them into surge protectors I don't think.

Cez★
01-27-2010, 10:42 PM
i no haz surge protectors

stonehenge
01-27-2010, 10:47 PM
Current computer is plugged directly to wall? :chuy:

Cez★
01-27-2010, 10:49 PM
well extension outlet thing thats connected to wall

stonehenge
01-27-2010, 10:51 PM
I have comp/monitor on one BAMF surge protector and our TV/PS3 on another one, gotta be safe brah :security:

Cez★
01-27-2010, 10:54 PM
that be your half white side
mexis= :talocosurgeprotector:

stonehenge
01-27-2010, 11:02 PM
i bet eddeh has his shit in a SP :read:

Cez★
01-27-2010, 11:03 PM
:masputo:

theholycow
01-27-2010, 11:41 PM
My stuff be mostly on cheap non-protecting power strips. The nice surge protectors are collecting dust. I really ought to change that around...

theholycow
01-28-2010, 02:25 AM
:rofl2: Ok, I looked up downgrade rights and it said you can't have downgrade rights with a retail packaged Vista/7 OS...but for some reason it hadn't occured to me that his computer came with OEM Vista and he does have downgrade rights. :facepalm:

Ok, so he has downgrade rights...how do I get the CD key? Do I have to get the XP restore CD from the OEM?

stonehenge
01-28-2010, 05:19 AM
:shrug: haven't done the downgrade process before

Corey
01-28-2010, 04:13 PM
I've only ever done downgrades with open licensing, but I think for retail you have to contact the manufacurer to get media and keys.

stonehenge
01-28-2010, 04:38 PM
I think the official way to downgrade retail involves torrents and :secret:

theholycow
01-28-2010, 08:39 PM
I want to run a proxy server on my computer for one friend to use. Anyone know a good Windows proxy server program that I can trust?

stonehenge
01-28-2010, 08:43 PM
hmm i ran one called Squid but it didn't have a UI and was a PITA to set up. Once it was running it was fine though. Also I think it was originally for linux so probably not your best option.

/pointless post

theholycow
01-28-2010, 08:46 PM
Squid is good, and I just looked it up, available for teh windows. Privoxy too. Else I may just go to the effort of setting him up with ssh tunneling.

JayBo
02-01-2010, 05:57 PM
K peep this.

Dell Poweredge 2950 server. Basically brand new.
Server 2003

Dude remoted in after I switched a card that the phone line hooks up to (This machine is going to be used for our new telephone banking)

he had some error, I had to remove the card and let him do some adjustments.

This is the last email I got from him AFTER he'd made his adjustments, I'd re-installed the card, and thought all was good to go.

After some testing here, it appears, that the Dialogic software will remember what slot a board is plugged into, therefore, if we can change slots, it should resolve the issue, I would also back our testing here with, I manually told your IVR, that the D4 was in slot 12, and it caused a hard lock.

Well I went in and took a look and rebooted the server. It will go through POST, but when it comes time for it to start loading windows it just sits there w/ black screen. HDD's are inactive, etc.

I've tried safe mode, last known good config, removed card, put back in old slot, etc.
Nothing.

When I boot to last known Good config, it locks the machine instantly
When I do safe mode it gets to the windows/blah/blah/system part and freezes there indefinately.

What in the hell do I do besides blowing it away? I can't get the repair console to work b/c I can't get the SCSI/RAID controller drivers to load when I use the 2k3 cd to boot with.

Cez★
02-01-2010, 06:07 PM
need help
going to pick up a wireless router probably this week, i use phone lines to get service. now can i just connect teh router to any phone line and have it send out teh wireless signal or will it have to be connected to teh modem i got from teh company?

theholycow
02-01-2010, 06:08 PM
How did Windows get installed in the first place?

Can nLite slipstream the drivers into the 2k3 CD?
http://www.nliteos.com/

If not, try a variety of Linux LiveCDs to at least be able to read the bootlog, mess with files, and copy the registry to a USB drive to edit on another computer.

---------- Post added at 12:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 PM ----------

Cez, the router needs to be connected to the modem.

JayBo
02-01-2010, 06:10 PM
I did get it to boot with one Linux CD we have here, but I can't really find anything out of the ordinary..

HDD's 0 and 1 are re-syncing right now...just for the hell of it

theholycow
02-01-2010, 06:11 PM
Did you check the boot log?

Cez★
02-01-2010, 06:11 PM
:ffuuu:
so can i move my modem to where i want to place teh router?

theholycow
02-01-2010, 06:12 PM
...er, not that I've ever found anything useful in the boot log, but it should still be checked.

Cez, yes, you should be able to move the modem. If it's DSL make sure that the modem doesn't have a filter between it and the raw line.

JayBo
02-01-2010, 06:14 PM
Did you check the boot log?

as best i could.

can you dl the raid drivers off dells website to install during cd boot so i can get to the recovery/repair console?

Cez★
02-01-2010, 06:15 PM
...er, not that I've ever found anything useful in the boot log, but it should still be checked.

Cez, yes, you should be able to move the modem. If it's DSL make sure that the modem doesn't have a filter between it and the raw line.

alright cool. hope i can get this thing this week and mess with it.

theholycow
02-01-2010, 06:24 PM
as best i could.

can you dl the raid drivers off dells website to install during cd boot so i can get to the recovery/repair console?

Are you asking if it can be done, or are you asking if I can do it for you?

The answer to both is probably yes.

JayBo
02-01-2010, 06:36 PM
LOL no I was not asking you to do it for me.

I think I finally found them on the support site. I'm going to try that tomorrow. The 2 hdds are still syncing

fatkidkustomz
02-02-2010, 06:43 PM
Soooo.... here's a good one for you guys.

Guy I work with wants me to take a look at his laptop. He brings it to me and says, "It won't work." the standard diagnosis, right? Well, it won't boot.

First off, this thing is an off-brand (from what I can tell), old brick. Running XP. I'm thinking it has hard drive issues, given the fact that it hangs at the XP startup screen, then cycles back to the "Windows failed to boot properly" menu. And it's clicking... so yeah.

Anyway, not sure what to do about this one. He wants to save it, if at all possible, so I'm asking the pros. As Rick knows, I'm a few steps behind you guys on my knowledge, but I'm working on stepping that up and trying to break fully into the IT field. So little things like these are great for my skill building, but I don't want to end up totally killing the man's computer, you know?

Any advice?

stonehenge
02-02-2010, 06:46 PM
Well you could pull the HD, put in another one (a spare if you have a little laptop drive laying around) and install xp on there. That way if it boots then you know it isn't any of the other hardware.

The clicking definitely makes me think of a bad HD like you said. I think Rick knows of some apps that may be able to recover some of the guys stuff from the old drive also.

fatkidkustomz
02-02-2010, 06:53 PM
Yeah... That's one of the problems. I don't have any extra drives laying around. I don't think he'd have a problem buying a new drive, but then I've got no way to load an OS onto it. I can get my hands on some Win2k Pro discs, and XP Pro Upgrade discs at work though. Royal pain in the ass, but that should work, right? And how could I make "backups" in case I need to do this again, and didn't have a way to borrow them from work... if you know what I mean. :secret:

stonehenge
02-02-2010, 07:05 PM
If your willing to make "backups" and whatnot, you could probably just acquire a backup of XP and skip all the Win2K crap :imo

fatkidkustomz
02-02-2010, 08:51 PM
If your willing to make "backups" and whatnot, you could probably just acquire a backup of XP and skip all the Win2K crap :imo

So what happens when I have to activate one of these "backups"? Is it legit since I have a valid product key? I've never messed with anything like that because it's basically not worth my time. But as I'm learning more, I'm realizing I've got more and more friends that are computer illiterate, so I could use a copy of XP. Probably get a few free dinners and beers, maybe even some cash out of it. You know the deal. "Oh, you know computers? How much to fix my shit?"

stonehenge
02-02-2010, 09:05 PM
I know what you mean. Well if you have valid keys then you can just get a legit straight backup of an XP disc and you should be fine. There are other versions available that don't require registration but sometimes MS releases updates that break them and show "You may be the victim of software piracy" messages LOL

theholycow
02-02-2010, 09:31 PM
XP activation can be annoying when you're trying to "do" stuff like this. There are hax, and then there's just using legit stuff.

Can you describe the clicking? Some hard drives just sound clicky, but certain click patterns are ALWAYS bad hardware. The worst sound is this:
Dink! WheeeEEEEEE....Dink! WheeeEEEEEE....Dink! WheeeEEEEEE....Dink! WheeeEEEEEE.... (where WheeeEEEEEE is the sound of it spinning up again)
Also: Dink clockalockalockalock Dink clockalockalockalock

You could try slaving the hard drive in another computer and checking it there. You could also boot a UBCD, WUBCD, BartPE, or a live Linux CD.
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com
http://www.ubcd4win.com
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder
http://www.knoppix.net
Then test the HD from there. Be ready with a USB drive to put any found files on. If the drive is failing, you want to get files off of it ASAP, as it'll only get worse.

Also while booted or while the drive is plugged into another computer, look for c:\windows\ntbtlog.txt and see if you can find anything useful in it.

Have you tried Last Known Good Configuration?

fatkidkustomz
02-02-2010, 09:51 PM
XP activation can be annoying when you're trying to "do" stuff like this. There are hax, and then there's just using legit stuff.

I guess what I'm asking is to be legit is this: Say I buy a copy of XP to fix this one, then all of a sudden my brother has a problem and needs a wipe/re-install. If I use the same copy of XP, when I "activate" it online (as MS wants you to do within 30 days), will it be fine? As far as new updates, service packs, etc.

Can you describe the clicking? Some hard drives just sound clicky, but certain click patterns are ALWAYS bad hardware. The worst sound is this:
Dink! WheeeEEEEEE....Dink! WheeeEEEEEE....Dink! WheeeEEEEEE....Dink! WheeeEEEEEE.... (where WheeeEEEEEE is the sound of it spinning up again)
Also: Dink clockalockalockalock Dink clockalockalockalock

I think it's the second one more than anything if I remember correctly. I'll have to fire it up again tonight.

You could try slaving the hard drive in another computer and checking it there.

No way to do this unless I can do it with my laptop. And I honestly have no idea about how to go about it (yet). But I'm sure it's somewhat covered in the nifty 1200 page A+ Certification for Dummies book I just picked up last night.

[You could also boot a UBCD, WUBCD, BartPE, or a live Linux CD.
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com
http://www.ubcd4win.com
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder
http://www.knoppix.net
Then test the HD from there. Be ready with a USB drive to put any found files on. If the drive is failing, you want to get files off of it ASAP, as it'll only get worse.

Also while booted or while the drive is plugged into another computer, look for c:\windows\ntbtlog.txt and see if you can find anything useful in it.

I'll have to do some research on this route as well.

Have you tried Last Known Good Configuration?

Yes... and it failed miserably.

stonehenge
02-02-2010, 10:02 PM
Well if you buy one copy and use it for every installation you do for every person it will work for a while but your key may eventually get blacklisted or something and they will start getting piracy messages. AFAIK anyway.

theholycow
02-03-2010, 02:11 AM
One copy is officially good for 3 different activations (even though it's legally good for only one computer), the last I heard.

JayBo
02-04-2010, 03:02 PM
Hey Cow

Riddle me this

Girl brought her Emachine in today b/c it just randomly shuts down when loading the OS (Vista)

It'll boot, go through POST, but when the Vista loading bar comes up BAM it goes off

I load it into the BIOS and let it sit thinking the CPU would warm up and cut off if that was the prob. NO dice.

Tried Safe Mode. Same thing. Just goes off.

I blew out the CPU fan and heatsink with canned air, blew out all PSUS fans etc, cleaned and reseated the ram, etc.

Any suggestions? I can't get it up far enough to look at any kind of boot log. Not even with linux. Its gotta be heat related, right?

theholycow
02-04-2010, 03:04 PM
Sitting at the BIOS screen wouldn't trigger a mildly overheating CPU/RAM, but it doesn't sound like it's overheating anyway. FYI you could use a stress-testing program such as one of the CPU burn-in programs found on the UBCD for future overheat testing.

If you can't boot Linux either then it's probably hardware. I'd try unplugging as much stuff as possible, and then get to replacing stuff starting with RAM and video card.

JayBo
02-04-2010, 03:08 PM
I hope I haven't voided the warranty by opening the case.

---------- Post added at 09:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 AM ----------

and I've been reading and overheating is a common problem to this model...

theholycow
02-04-2010, 03:26 PM
I doubt it...people have to be able to add RAM without messing up their warranty.

JayBo
02-04-2010, 03:36 PM
Ok. I removed the HDD and have it hooked up via USB to my machine.
Where do I find the bootlogs?

Anyway, heres something different. If I try and boot from Linux cd with the HDD connected, it shuts off. If I d/c the HDD and boot from cd, it brings up the CD os and works fine..

theholycow
02-04-2010, 03:43 PM
I'm pretty sure it's c:\windows\ntbtlog.txt

It sounds like a hardware problem with the HD controller or the HD, but it could still be RAM/CPU/mobo/BIOS. It's unlikely to be HD corruption and certainly not a Windows problem.

JayBo
02-04-2010, 03:48 PM
Im leaning towards HD controller right now
I did my best to check everything else.

theholycow
02-04-2010, 04:26 PM
Ok, so, the continuing saga of the laptop for the guy who doesn't want Vista...

In previous episodes, here's what happened:
- Tried to find legal downgrade licensing for XP
- Decided to semi FIWDIL it
- XP refused to run on this model
- Convinced user to stick with Vista because buying 7 would be too expensive

So, today I'm wrapping it up. I've cleaned up Vista and installed necessary programs. I've skinned it to look like Windows 95. It's almost done. I just have to acquire and install Office 97 and plug in his USB mouse and flash drive to make sure they work and won't prompt him for drivers.

I unpack the USB stuff, almost cutting fatal wounds in my hands opening the plastic clamshell packages. I proceed to sift all the paperwork, manuals, packages, and packing materials into a plastic bag to give back to him separately from his laptop case. A blue brochure catches my eye. "FREE Upgrade to Windows 7!"

:fp: Now I have to tell him the good news.

It's bad news for me. I'll do a whole lot more work but I won't charge a whole lot more money. I've put one hell of a lot of hours into XP on this thing but it was effectively my fault for not being able to make it work after trying so hard to convince him to use it.

I think I'll tell him to acquire the free Windows 7 upgrade but try out Vista for a while. In a year he'll call me and ask me to install it and I'll be happy to get some work.

JayBo
02-04-2010, 05:33 PM
Fawkin CHKDSK on this hardrive is taking forever

---------- Post added at 11:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 AM ----------

HDD checked OKay.

Cez★
02-04-2010, 08:40 PM
probably going to buy a router over teh weekend and move my modem to teh kitchen and make that teh center of mah intrawebz network. any good routers?

theholycow
02-04-2010, 08:44 PM
Belkin F5D7230-4 wifi-G router is good.

Cez★
02-04-2010, 08:46 PM
where can i pick one up? best buy?

theholycow
02-04-2010, 08:54 PM
Beats me, it's kinda old and may not be in stores anymore.

Really, any router ought to be decent. I'd look for one that gets good reviews for its wireless range, to make sure you get a decent signal.

Cez★
02-04-2010, 08:55 PM
:shake:

stonehenge
02-04-2010, 08:59 PM
swap meet

theholycow
02-05-2010, 03:16 AM
Another episode of the laptop-Vista saga:
He called at about noon and asked to postpone tonight's delivery until Saturday. That's good for me, gives me more time to get it right.

I installed Word 97.

I tried to install As Easy As, the DOS Lotus 123 clone that he uses, but Vista x64 doesn't like it. Fuck! Looks like it's time for virtualization. I don't expect DOSBox to work well but I'll try it.

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

...actually, it's looking pretty good. We'll see how it performs with his huge data files and macro programs. Other DOS business apps have not worked so well in it in the past but I haven't tried for a year or two.

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

This might work out ok after all. It's looking pretty nice.

When I deliver it, he'll probably want me to setup some networking with his desktop. He'll need the floppy drive shared since the laptop doesn't have one and that's how he moves his files around. He'll need the printer shared too.

I might try recommending Dropbox or Windows Live Mesh to help keep stuff synchronized. This could be pretty cool.

I'll get to do some stuff that will cooperate, and charge for some more hours of work.

:better:

stonehenge
02-09-2010, 04:37 PM
Weren't one of you having trouble finding a power supply for a Cisco Aironet?

theholycow
02-09-2010, 05:21 PM
I have had that problem, but it had to have been over a year ago.

stonehenge
02-09-2010, 05:25 PM
I was just looking for one (and found one) and "Cisco Aironet Power Supply" just sounded familiar for some reason :rofl2:

theholycow
02-11-2010, 03:54 PM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:LHGWRmTiMqHtdM :pissedfist:

Fucking Symantec Antivirus. A user called me because it detected c:\windows\axewijev.dll as a trojan. It detected it alright, but it wasn't going to do anything about it! The default action for that file was to allow it. I moved the file to my computer and scanned it with MSSE (which recommended immediate deletion).

I checked with a bunch of other antivirus programs, and these are the results:
http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/8030def629ffaf503649a679cda109514944571d0f95290737 9338cfaf450310-1265899619

I googled for it, this is what I found:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Threat/Encyclopedia/Entry.aspx?Name=Trojan%3aWin32%2fHiloti.gen%21A
Aliases
Troj/Virtum-Gen (Sophos)
Win32/Vundo.CGP (CA)
Vundo (McAfee)
:Trj/Downloader.MDW (Panda)
Trojan.Vundo (Symantec)

WTF SYMANTEC!!! http://dangerous-dads.co.uk/SMF/Smileys/classic/angry035.gif No wonder we get all these fucking Vundo infections, Symantec can detect Vundo but it doesn't want to delete it.

It wasn't even hard to remove.

stonehenge
02-11-2010, 04:14 PM
The big anti-virus programs have always pissed me off. Symantec, Norton, McAffe, and a few others. :nono:

---------- Post added at 08:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 AM ----------

We're using Sophos right now which isn't too bad but its a memory hog and sometimes acts a little ghey.

theholycow
02-11-2010, 04:19 PM
Tell me more about Sophos. I had chosen it as the best in my testing, and I was ready to change our whole network to it until our budget got slashed. I had to abort the project a couple weeks ago.

stonehenge
02-11-2010, 04:30 PM
I don't know much about statistics or pricing or anything because they already had it when I got here and have had it since.

We have a server setup locally for all updates and have every install pointing to it. It works for XP, Vista, W7, Mac, and I think there may even be a 98 and possibly Linux version but don't hold me to that.

I was only a normal tech for a short while before becoming the assistant server guy but while I was a tech, there were a few incidents where it caught and quarantined the POS in question.

I've been pretty happy with it, I actually installed it on my home machine also.

theholycow
02-11-2010, 04:35 PM
If I could put Microsoft Security Essentials on everything, I would...even if it cost as much as Sophos for the license we'd need. MS doesn't allow it, I'd have to buy their enterprise antivirus product, and that thing is ridiculous. There's a bunch of databases you have to install on at least two servers...way too heavy and complicated.

stonehenge
02-11-2010, 05:22 PM
sounds super ghey

---------- Post added at 09:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 AM ----------

Just got told I get to setup a Zimbra server on a Mac Mini wtf. They want it mainly for the Calendar but you can't install JUST the Calendar so I'll have to setup E-mail and everything else also. Don't feel like doing this :rofl2: oh well.

theholycow
02-11-2010, 05:42 PM
I just realized that I did a crapload of server updates on the Monday before Patch Tuesday. :fp:

stonehenge
02-11-2010, 05:43 PM
:shrug:

theholycow
02-11-2010, 05:44 PM
Now I gotta update and reboot all these servers again.

stonehenge
02-11-2010, 05:45 PM
I know, the shrug was more of an "oh well, gotta do what you gotta do" shrug lol

theholycow
02-12-2010, 04:54 PM
Does anyone use Karen's Replicator?
http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp

I want a slightly simplified version of that to use for one-off copy jobs that are too complex for just using Explorer's copy/paste or something like TeraCopy. I think what I'm looking for is just to have fewer levels of dialogs to go through before I can setup and run a job.

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

Karen should NOT have put a picture of herself on her website. It was better when I thought of her as looking like a computer program.
http://www.karenware.com/bio.asp
http://www.karenware.com/images/kenworthy98.jpg

Cez★
02-12-2010, 04:56 PM
well i didnt set up teh wireless since my mom got some new plan and shit so we haz cable intrawebz and teh homie hooked it up for us

stonehenge
02-12-2010, 05:09 PM
thats a bamf copy/paste brah

Cez★
02-12-2010, 05:09 PM
: orly:

stonehenge
02-12-2010, 05:11 PM
rofl meant that to thc

Cez★
02-12-2010, 05:12 PM
ahh ok :shake:

stonehenge
02-12-2010, 08:18 PM
Installed Zimbra on a Mac Mini running Server 10.6: FAIL

After trying several things I've determined that Zimbra just doesn't like 10.6. I didn't think it would be that different from 10.5 (which Zimbra works on) but I guess I was wrong. Just installed it on my current box (also a Mini but with 10.5) and it is running just fine.

This is a pretty nice piece of softzware :imo

stonehenge
02-15-2010, 05:08 PM
Ok so I got a ticket from a guy who was like "I need help accessing my W drive, this is the email I received, I made a new ticket because I don't see a ticket number in the email". This is the email he received:

Sent: Thursday, February 11, 2010 10:27 AM
Subject: Re: XXXX Tech Support has a question/message for you regarding your job ticket of 20100211004

Dear blahblah,

Please DO NOT REPLY to this email as this is an automated email generated by our computer system.

XXXX Tech Support has asked a question or sent you a message in response to the job ticket you submitted to us. To view the question/message or reply to us you need to go to our ticket system at:

(address)

Tech: Juan wrote on 10:26AM Feb 11, 2010:

> blahblah,
>
> They should now have access. They may need to reboot their computers for the drive to show up if they have been logged in very recently. Let me know if you have any issues.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Juan ([email protected])
> BAMF Support Beast
> XXXX Tech Support
>
>

Your ticket's details:

Please connect the following faculty's computer access to the Share "W" drive.

Person1
Person2
Person3
Person4
Person5

Thank you,

Woman
Program Coordinator

Ticket ID: 20100211004
Ticket Type: Network or Servers

<== 20100211004 ==>

:fp: :suicide2:

theholycow
02-23-2010, 06:41 PM
Does anyone remember this?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/74/4DOS_icon.png

stonehenge
02-23-2010, 06:46 PM
DOS yes, that icon and what it represents, no.

theholycow
02-23-2010, 07:07 PM
4DOS was awesome. It was a replacement for command.com that was way enhanced, including features that you still don't find in bash or PowerShell today.

One of my favorites was directory navigation without the cd command. You could type in ..\ and it would go up one directory. Also, you could go up multiple directories simply by adding more periods, so ...\ and ....\ would go up two or three directories respectively.

In bash you can make aliases called .. and ... and so on that execute cd .. or cd ../.. (and so on). There's a shell, I think it's called zsh, that allows you to do cd-less directory navigation, but I think it doesn't work with the .. directory, just named directories.

It had tab completion and a bunch of other cool stuff too.

stonehenge
02-23-2010, 07:13 PM
tab completion makes me skeet

SarkOzy
03-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Questionne.......I have an HD video I need to edit that was shot in 720p native 16:9 format, then converted to 4:3 when it was burned to the DVD(thanks WMBF :nono:) so now I need to try to convert it back to 16:9 so everything isn't squashed vertically. I know the quality is going to hell, but I can manage. Firstly I need a good DVD ripping program, and I have windows movie maker, but I'm wondering that maybe it won't convert the aspect ration back to what I need? :hmm:

theholycow
03-05-2010, 04:48 PM
Anyone good at tracking down bottlenecks and performance issues? I have no problem finding processes that have high CPU usage, but I usually can't identify what's causing my hard drive to grind and the system to run slow with low CPU usage.

theholycow
03-25-2010, 03:45 PM
I guess I can troubleshoot slowness+thrashing HD using procmon.

New rant: Why do users paste their screenshots into MS Word and then email me a MS Word attachment, when they could just paste directly into the email, or at worst paste into Paint (which is an appropriate program for images)...

stonehenge
03-25-2010, 04:20 PM
They do that here all the fuckin' time also. I also get excel spreadsheets with images in them :roflmao:

Chevrolet Fanatic
03-25-2010, 07:15 PM
Yep, I've experienced that as well.

BTW............in for the IT jest/experience/help. IT noob.

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 PM ----------

I fucking hate Joomla.

You guys ever use Joomla, have any experience with it?

stonehenge
03-25-2010, 07:20 PM
There is one Joomla site that I am supposed to bring from an old department, into ours. So move it to our servers. We don't have any Joomla shit and I am trying to talk them out of using it :rofl2:

I've played with Drupal a little and it sucked. Not sure if it was Drupal that sucked or the way they setup the site.

theholycow
03-25-2010, 07:30 PM
I don't do web admin. My boss loves Joomla.

Chevrolet Fanatic
03-25-2010, 07:33 PM
I fucking hate this Joomla shit. Jesus, I'd rather just do it straight HTML/CSS/PHP or whatever.

But because other employees have to be able to upload documents and shit we have to use it.

---------- Post added at 02:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 PM ----------

Maybe I'll warm up to it eventually.....I am kind of doubting that though.

stonehenge
03-25-2010, 07:36 PM
I don't do any web design type stuff, I'll setup space for it and domains and shit but I'm not designing anything lol

theholycow
03-25-2010, 07:41 PM
I am terrible at web design. Anything I try to design looks like complete and utter shit.

Chevrolet Fanatic
03-25-2010, 07:43 PM
We do nearly everything here, haha, that is the bad part.

I'm decent at web design, and I'm the youngest, so that is why they are trying to pass this to me I guess.

theholycow
03-26-2010, 04:01 PM
I have an Oracle client that I'd like to run as a regular user. I have to run it as administrator. Any ideas how I can figure out what it's trying to do so I can grant users access just for that?

theholycow
04-07-2010, 07:15 PM
The email account requirements are as follows:

We need a name or IP address of the SMTP mail server
An account on that server (username and password)
What port the server users (usually port 25)
Whether the server uses AUTHENTICATION
IP of SMTP mail server: ...
Account: N/A
Port: 25
Server does not use AUTHENTICATION

:hahano:

stonehenge
04-07-2010, 07:25 PM
:shrug:

theholycow
04-07-2010, 07:31 PM
Why is "authentication" capitalized? I don't know, but I capitalized it in my reply.

stonehenge
04-07-2010, 07:32 PM
our email here uses AUTHENTICATION

theholycow
04-07-2010, 07:33 PM
Are you sure it uses AUTHENTICATION instead of authentication?

stonehenge
04-07-2010, 07:33 PM
oh it definitely uses AUTHENTICATION. We aren't no authentication using pussys.

Chevrolet Fanatic
04-22-2010, 05:44 PM
Well guys, I got fucking screwed over at work by my supervisor and co-worker. I've worked here a year as an intern and have been promised a job after I graduate the entire time, well it is a week away from graduation and I met with my supervisor on Tuesday. First thing he says is, "Cody, we won't be needing you here anymore". This has been planned step by step by that conniving bastard, first oust my friend and then me. I was so pissed I couldn't hardly think straight, because first of all this guy is a douche to begin with, I'm talking fuhrer power tripping douche canoe. Whenever I tried to suggest anything this whole time I've been here, I've been shot down because evidently I'm too young and don't know anything at all. He already caused my friend and other co-worker to quit and leave for another job, because he treated him worse than me believe it or not, like complete dog shit. He would just come down and start screaming at him for no reason, no reason at all. Dude is a psycho. Well guess what, he hired a douche just like himself in my friends place. I actually even tried to be nice to this guy and TAUGHT HIM a shit ton about this place, our network, and everything else around here to do with the IT staff. Well I guess my supervisor was just waiting until I taught the new guy what I knew, so he could go right around and kick me to the curb, stupid fagot. He told me he went to this new guy who is supposedly "my friend" and co-worker (rolls eyes and pukes), well this fucker turns around and stabs me in the back and castrates me at the same time, tells my supervisor "no, I don't need his help, I can handle this all myself". Fuck him, I hope he has a good time doing everything here after I'm gone. He can DIAGDMFF! In the end, I think this is for the best, at least I may end up somewhere where I am appreciated and am not working for a douche fucktard. I'll probably be making more money too, because this place pays like shit for the work we do.

Which brings me to this question:

Are there any special job search sites specifically for IT related jobs that you guys know about?

Also, what certifications should I try to get first if I get any while I have the free time?

Cez★
04-22-2010, 05:56 PM
blast the servers with piss

theholycow
04-22-2010, 06:04 PM
dice.com is IT-only, IIRC. It's a major job search site.

I never had any luck with it or Monster.com or anything like that. My last couple jobs:
- Internship that I got through family connections
- My current job, which I got when one of the seeds I had previously sown sprouted. I had met with Robert Half Technology (http://www.roberthalftechnology.com/) a few times, and then someone from there called me with an opening that sounded too good to be true...it was a perfect fit for my odd collection of skills.

I'm also going to give you the piece of advice that I give to everybody who is ever looking for a job: Read "Ask The Headhunter: Reinventing the Interview To Win the Job" by Nick Corcodilos. It's the most important book about job-searching ever :imo. It's a little repetitive but extremely insightful. It's also a little out there; I wasn't able to practice all of what the book says, but it still made all the difference for me.

Chevrolet Fanatic
04-22-2010, 06:24 PM
What do you think about an online certification website like this?

http://www.e-learningcenter.com

Will I receive a certificate of completion for taking these courses?

Certificates of completion are not available for our free courses. Certificates of completion are only available for successfully completing courses from one of our paid subscriptions.

Our free courses are set up on a "shared" access with many people accessing the same courses at the same time. This shared access prevents us from being able to offer a certificate of completion for people taking the free courses.

We set the free courses up on shared access to allow a greater number of people to take one of our free courses. Our paid subscriptions are set up on individual access and every course completed leads to a certificate of completion.

For the courses in our paid subscriptions, yes, you can download and print out a certificate of completion for each course completed. The certificate is professionally designed, you can use high quaility paper, and it is personalized with your name, the title of the course, the date the course was completed, and signed by the president of our training provider.

Do I get any kind of credit for taking these courses?

You can receive CEU's - Continuing Education Units - for every course you complete through e-LearningCenter's library. All our courses now offer you the opportunity to earn Continuing Education Units from accredited universities for successfully completing any of e-LearningCenter's courses.

CEUs are currently awarded by Otterbein College in Ohio. You can also receive a Certificate of Completion for every course you complete to show your employer (or future employer) the steps you are taking to improve your skills.

CEU's are not available for the free courses.

I would rather do it online, because honestly, the places around here are few and far between and suck from what I've heard.

Cez★
04-22-2010, 06:26 PM
back in HS in my computers class my teacher used teh cisco program stuff. at the end we had a lil certificate that said i was a BAMF IT guy. dont know how much those matter since it was pretty low level stuff

stonehenge
04-22-2010, 06:28 PM
Fuck that, what a cawk-swallower.

I have been lucky when it comes to jobs. First job I got at a video store I went to all the time, had to fill out application purely for paperwork reasons, got the job without question. Second was at a machine shop, got it through my wifes step-father. Didn't have to interview or compete for the position. Then I did security which is always hiring. Then I got my first IT position (FINALLY) as a part-time student position via an old family friend. After that I came here which is a different department in the same place as that student position so I was given priority over new hires. Plus I had my previous boss that vouched for me.

I wish I knew a good IT-only search site, I'd look at it from time to time :secret:

Cez★
04-22-2010, 06:31 PM
cody should move to AZ :cheeky: so wan can take all his ps3 games

stonehenge
04-22-2010, 06:33 PM
J: "i'll help you move all your shit into your new place brah"
C: "coo brah"
[later]
C: "you seen mah games? cant find them" :think:
J: "nope, dunno where is" :shrug:

J: :secret:

Cez★
04-22-2010, 06:33 PM
Cez: package from wan? what it be? :opensbawx:
:happeh:

stonehenge
04-22-2010, 06:40 PM
only if he haz some anime games

Cez★
04-22-2010, 06:43 PM
:turborofl:

theholycow
04-22-2010, 06:43 PM
I wish I knew a good IT-only search site, I'd look at it from time to time :secret:

dice.com wey!

Also, linkedin.com - it's not an IT-only site, but it is good to have. It's chock full of IT and business folks. It's like a MySpace/Facebook but for professionals looking to socially network with other professionals, mainly for finding jobs.

As for certifications, don't spend a lot of money and don't depend on them helping. They may help in some places but my CCNA never made even the tiniest difference in getting me an interview or a job. The only certifications you should bother with are CompTia and Microsoft.

stonehenge
04-22-2010, 06:44 PM
all the Tucson jobs on Dice.com start with Senior :blah: can not haz i think

Chevrolet Fanatic
04-22-2010, 06:54 PM
cody should move to AZ :cheeky: so wan can take all his ps3 games

J: "i'll help you move all your shit into your new place brah"
C: "coo brah"
[later]
C: "you seen mah games? cant find them" :think:
J: "nope, dunno where is" :shrug:

J: :secret:

Cez: package from wan? what it be? :opensbawx:

only if he haz some anime games

:ahhh:

:roflbow:

Cez would like my Marvel/DC Comics games at least. I can't think of any anime-esque games I have. I did use to play those Evolution games on Dreamcast, but that wasn't really anime or anything. If they could make a good Ghost in the Shell game, now I would jump on that shit!

dice.com wey!

Also, linkedin.com - it's not an IT-only site, but it is good to have. It's chock full of IT and business folks. It's like a MySpace/Facebook but for professionals looking to socially network with other professionals, mainly for finding jobs.

As for certifications, don't spend a lot of money and don't depend on them helping. They may help in some places but my CCNA never made even the tiniest difference in getting me an interview or a job. The only certifications you should bother with are CompTia and Microsoft.

Thanks for the information Rick, I appreciate it.

After reading for a while, here is a short list I came up with, opinions?

A+
NETWORK +
SECURITY +
MCSE
MCSA
MOS
PMP
CCNA

Cez★
04-22-2010, 06:56 PM
GITS repz :secret:

theholycow
04-22-2010, 07:09 PM
I haven't heard of MOS and PMP.

That's a very ambitious list of certifications. I hope you have the time and money to invest.

stonehenge
04-22-2010, 08:12 PM
:ahh:

:roflbow

Cez would like my Marvel/DC Comics games at least. I can't think of any anime-esque games I have. I did use to play those Evolution games on Dreamcast, but that wasn't really anime or anything. If they could make a good Ghost in the Shell game, now I would jump on that shit!
Fine I guess he can have the Marvel/DC ones :(
PMP = :pimp2:

Chevrolet Fanatic
04-22-2010, 08:25 PM

That's a very ambitious list of certifications. I hope you have the time and money to invest.

Not that I'm planning to do all those, that's just a basic list to go from the start.

I'll probably start out with just A+, Network +, and MCSE. Those are the main ones I want to get.

Also, I want to set an ambitious goal for myself, not just settle on the norm. I just need to pace myself and not try to do too much at once.

---------- Post added at 03:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS)

The Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS), previously named Microsoft Office User Specialist (MOUS) is a certification for using the Microsoft Office suite of business applications. While listed under the MCP Certification Programs, it is not officially an MCP Certification. The MOS exams are managed by a third party company, Certiport.

It appears (January 2007) that a new set of qualifications will replace the MOS/MOUS certifications for Office 2007. The direct application specific skills are the “Microsoft Certified Application Specialist” (“MCAS”) for each Office 2007 Application. And, a new “Microsoft Certified Application Professional” (“MCAP”) based on how to complete more common business tasks. While these qualification exams will be managed by Certiport it appears other exam providers may also become involved.

PMP seems like it would be very time intensive, not sure if it would be worth the trouble. I just saw it originally and thought it might be something good to look into.

Project Management Professional (PMP) is a credential offered by the Project Management Institute (PMI). As of 30 June 2009 (2009 -06-30)[update], there were 359,973 PMP certified individuals distributed globally.[1]

The credential is obtained by documenting 3 or 5 years work experience in project management, completing 35 hours of project management related training, and scoring a certain percentage of questions on a written, multiple choice examination.

theholycow
04-22-2010, 08:30 PM
Alphabet soup of certificates isn't the best place to concentrate your effort. Those three are good, then work on getting experience. That's what you really need. It can be experience with what you learned for the certificates, or experience in other areas (such as those for the other certificates). Do volunteer work for charities or something if necessary.

Experience is by far the most important thing.

The PMP looks like it might actually be useful, but you'll have to describe it on your resume.

---------- Post added at 03:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

BTW, too many certifications can turn off a potential employer. They can look at your resume and say "shit, he's going to want too much money" or worse "shit, he might take my job after he's here a short time".

Chevrolet Fanatic
04-22-2010, 08:44 PM
Yeah, experience is what I want to get more so than anything, especially just coming out of college. But then again, I would like to have the basic certifications. I did read some comments about having too many certifications, like you said, or having them and them really meaning nothing to some employers.

I think this is one reason why my current douche of a co-worker is wanting me gone, he was afraid that I knew too much already and was a threat to his job. My friend who worked here before him told me I knew twice as much as he did at my age, so maybe I'm off to a decent start. I just want to keep learning as much as possible.

---------- Post added at 03:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ----------

It's just going to be hard to get a job now because of my lack of experience, I've only worked here 1 year.

stonehenge
04-22-2010, 08:49 PM
Well I wish you luck. List your PS3 game collection on your resume, that shit is impressive brah.

Chevrolet Fanatic
04-22-2010, 09:04 PM
Thanks bro. :rotflmao:

stonehenge
04-22-2010, 09:08 PM
no prollem, any time for a fellow IT/PS3/OBS/Satellite gai

theholycow
04-23-2010, 06:53 PM
This guy's going to end up turning into the new BOFH:
http://kludgespot.blogspot.com

Cez★
04-27-2010, 09:49 PM
is there anyway to get the footer on microsoft to appear on only the first page?

stonehenge
04-27-2010, 09:58 PM
on microsoft? wtf cez? word?

Cez★
04-27-2010, 10:03 PM
microsoft word. got it though :shake:

stonehenge
04-27-2010, 10:18 PM
ok coo

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/4/2010/04/500x_10mb_hard_drive.jpg

theholycow
04-27-2010, 10:35 PM
MFM, RLL, or SCSI?

stonehenge
04-27-2010, 10:37 PM
A Fuckin Clue: I Haz None

Chevrolet Fanatic
04-28-2010, 12:18 AM
Even SSD's are affordable compared to what that was for it's time, damn.

theholycow
04-30-2010, 02:15 PM
Ok....whose company uses email encryption? What product or service do you use, how easy is it, and how expensive is it?

Chevrolet Fanatic
05-01-2010, 04:32 AM
We didn't, because the place I worked for was fucking gay and didn't want to spend money to do shit.

fatkidkustomz
05-14-2010, 03:27 PM
Bumping this for a question.

Story:

Guy's laptop dies. He uses a program for work (all day, every day) that is run off of a CD. Guy's friend gives him a netbook (no CD drive of course) to use until he can afford a new laptop. Guy brings me netbook to try to get program to work on netbook.

Basically, how can I load a program that has to access a CD in the drive, on a netbook without a CD drive, and make it work. If it's something that's going to take longer than an hour, I'm not doing it, and the guy's cool with that. But I told him I'd give it a shot.

Ideas? I'm guessing I'm going to have to run some kind of ISO program and image the drive? (I think that's the terms I'm looking for... :rofl2:)

2005_Silverado
05-14-2010, 03:29 PM
get him an external cd drive? :shrug:

fatkidkustomz
05-14-2010, 03:32 PM
get him an external cd drive? :shrug:

Dude's broke... he's saving the money for a new laptop. Either that, or he's just a cheap bastard. Either way, he's cool as hell, so I'm just trying to help him out... you know how that goes.

2005_Silverado
05-14-2010, 03:36 PM
yup...give the IT guys a few mins to come in...Im no good with this stuff but Juan, Rick and I think yayme are good IT doods

theholycow
05-14-2010, 03:38 PM
Pull a .ISO image, then use a program that can mount the .ISO as a drive letter.

What version of Windows is on the netbook? I can't remember what programs I use for this job.

Alternative: If the program is not too bitchy, this is easier: Copy the entire CD to a folder, then use the subst command at a command prompt to make the folder have a drive letter.

2005_Silverado
05-14-2010, 03:39 PM
:rickpatriot:

stonehenge
05-14-2010, 04:20 PM
My favorite program to mount ISOs is Daemon Tools. It is free, doesn't have much bloat, is easy to use, and does the job very well. Just put the ISO somewhere he won't delete it :rofl2: then install daemon tools (requires a restart), create a virtual drive with that image, done.

---------- Post added at 08:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 AM ----------

http://www.disk-tools.com/download/daemon

fatkidkustomz
05-14-2010, 04:26 PM
Pull a .ISO image, then use a program that can mount the .ISO as a drive letter.

What version of Windows is on the netbook? I can't remember what programs I use for this job.

Alternative: If the program is not too bitchy, this is easier: Copy the entire CD to a folder, then use the subst command at a command prompt to make the folder have a drive letter.

It's XP. And I don't think the program will be too bad.

Can you explain the subst command a little better if you've got the time. I'll give that a shot first, since it's the easiest solution.

My favorite program to mount ISOs is Daemon Tools. It is free, doesn't have much bloat, is easy to use, and does the job very well. Just put the ISO somewhere he won't delete it :rofl2: then install daemon tools (requires a restart), create a virtual drive with that image, done.

---------- Post added at 08:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 AM ----------

http://www.disk-tools.com/download/daemon

I'll give that a shot if the easier alternative doesn't work.

theholycow
05-14-2010, 04:41 PM
Daemon Tools is too big and overcooked. Also, I have had some problem with something related to it recently (though I can't remember what...yeah, that's a big help...).

C:\>subst k: c:\copiedFolder
That command will mount c:\copiedFolder as the K: drive. K: and c:\copiedFolder will both function, and will each be a separate way to access the same files.

The program I use for mounting ISOs is this:
http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/620/xp_small_free_way_to_use_and_mount_images_iso_file s_without_burning_them/
It's tiny, fast, clean, and perfectly functional. Its interface is mildly annoying the first couple times you use it. I know there's a more modern program that's almost as small/clean and a little easier to use.

A CD burning program like Roxio Easy CD Creator or Sonic RecordNow might have the ability to pull the CD into an ISO, if you don't already have a tool you prefer.

stonehenge
05-14-2010, 05:33 PM
:shrug: i loves mah daemon toolz :crossarms:

Cez★
05-15-2010, 06:28 AM
help plz. fucking google chome and internet explorer wont work. only firefox. wtf happened? virus? teh hax? i cleaned out the history and all that shit and restarted it and still wont work

BillyJeanKing
05-15-2010, 06:34 AM
BIWP is the only solution

Cez★
05-15-2010, 06:37 AM
imo
got microsoft security essentials
lets see waht that does

stonehenge
05-15-2010, 06:50 AM
You get an error or anything in ie/chrome?

Cez★
05-15-2010, 06:53 AM
just that teh website is not available
and on IE it says it cannot display site

stonehenge
05-15-2010, 06:58 AM
Is ie or chrome in offline mode? Look in file/edit menus for Offline Mode or Work Offline or something.

Cez★
05-15-2010, 07:03 AM
nope. was using them before. porque i had that same bullshit that had appeared on my work comp appear on this one. i said fuck this and restarted teh comp. thats when it stated fucking up

stonehenge
05-15-2010, 07:06 AM
Restarting fixes many things :jester:

Cez★
05-15-2010, 07:07 AM
not broken browsers though
look this be the error on chrome
Error 102 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED): Unknown error.

stonehenge
05-15-2010, 07:07 AM
If you haz virus, that could definitely have something to do with it. Maybe download/run malware bytes and see if it finds anything.

Cez★
05-15-2010, 07:09 AM
microsoft essentials found a trojan and deleted it.
found this as well.
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Chrome/thread?tid=0ae788d984a6b484&hl=en

BillyJeanKing
05-15-2010, 07:10 AM
start from escrash :imo:

stonehenge
05-15-2010, 07:12 AM
Wait wait mira:

i figured out how to fix it. i had the same problem so googled around and found an answer go to control panel>internet options>connections>LAN settings> and uncheck use proxy server for your LAN

Cez★
05-15-2010, 07:13 AM
SUCCESS!!
:pepper: :turbohump: :datass:

stonehenge
05-15-2010, 07:14 AM

Cez★
05-15-2010, 07:14 AM
teh repz. awarded

BillyJeanKing
05-15-2010, 07:16 AM
i can haz repz??? :roflshrug:

Cez★
05-15-2010, 07:17 AM
:crossarms:

BillyJeanKing
05-15-2010, 07:20 AM
:roflsad:

i helped

Cez★
05-15-2010, 07:22 AM
no because iz no blast anything with piss

stonehenge
05-15-2010, 08:52 AM
:fuckyeah:

2005_Silverado
05-15-2010, 08:53 AM
go to sleep wey!

stonehenge
05-15-2010, 08:55 AM
ok pawpz :(

theholycow
05-15-2010, 11:37 AM
Proxy server was my first thought for something that would affect Chrome and IE but not Firefox. Chrome uses IE's settings while Firefox has its own settings.

Cez★
05-15-2010, 03:27 PM
:rofl: when that shit went down i was like. where the fuck is thc when you need him

BillyJeanKing
05-24-2010, 11:28 PM
IT nerds

http://www.wimp.com/pcaudio/

BillyJeanKing
05-25-2010, 12:25 PM
I just saw this news article on AOL

:jester:

http://daol.aol.com/articles/how-to-enlarge-font-size-on-the-internet/?icid=main|aim|dl5|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fdaol.aol.com %2Farticles%2Fhow-to-enlarge-font-size-on-the-internet%2F

I imagine these are teh types of problems IT guys face everyday :facepalm:

stonehenge
05-25-2010, 04:15 PM
Yes, as a general IT gai there is plenty of that type of shit

Luckily I'm not a normal tech anymore so I don't haz to deal with the users as often

:better:

I can lock bishes out if I want tho

JayBo
05-25-2010, 04:59 PM
I'm going to have my hands full at the school.
Dude has 3 servers set up.
Administration logs into one
Teachers log into one
Students log into one.

WTF??
I do not like

Cez★
05-25-2010, 05:03 PM
anyway to beast up my video card?

stonehenge
05-25-2010, 05:06 PM
Cao/Yay/James, you guys have local admin accounts on every machine or you disable them bishes?
I'm going to have my hands full at the school.
Dude has 3 servers set up.
Administration logs into one
Teachers log into one
Students log into one.

WTF??
I do not like
3 domains? WTF that is what groups are for :jester:
anyway to beast up my video card?
beast up? not unless you buy a new moar beast one

Cez★
05-25-2010, 05:07 PM
:(
blah. i cant up teh settings on it then?

stonehenge
05-25-2010, 05:10 PM
Some video cards can be overclocked but it will run hotter and if you do it too much you can fry it or make it crash all the time. :blah:

Other than that, can't really do much to make video cards better. :sadshrug:

Cez★
05-25-2010, 05:11 PM
:sadshake:

JayBo
05-25-2010, 05:18 PM
Cao/Yay/James, you guys have local admin accounts on every machine or you disable them bishes?

3 domains? WTF that is what groups are for :jester:

beast up? not unless you buy a new moar beast one

For real!
I wants 1 PDC
I don't understand shit of what he's got setup.

Get this too, Every teacher's login is first initial.lastname, and there are only 2 generic passwords the whole faculty uses. Ain't that some bullshit? He won't even let them set their own b/c he said he got tired of unlocking them.

---------- Post added at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 PM ----------

I know he's got exchange on 1 machine, but I don't know where. I'd like to put SQL on 1 of them so I can run Microsoft Forefront AV..

---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 PM ----------

Oh and WAN
We do have Admin accounts on local machine. Do not disable

stonehenge
05-25-2010, 05:26 PM
For real!
I wants 1 PDC
I don't understand shit of what he's got setup.

Get this too, Every teacher's login is first initial.lastname, and there are only 2 generic passwords the whole faculty uses. Ain't that some bullshit? He won't even let them set their own b/c he said he got tired of unlocking them.

---------- Post added at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 PM ----------

I know he's got exchange on 1 machine, but I don't know where. I'd like to put SQL on 1 of them so I can run Microsoft Forefront AV..

---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 PM ----------

Oh and WAN
We do have Admin accounts on local machine. Do not disable
2 generic passwords? :eek2: security = :down:

JayBo
05-25-2010, 05:28 PM
No kidding!
I'm soooooo changing that.

stonehenge
05-25-2010, 05:28 PM
I know of one department here that uses 1 generic password but after the first login, they are required to change it. We DO NOT want to know their passwords, then we become responsible for some shit. This way it is their responsibility to keep their password safe and whatnot.

With two passwords total it wouldn't be hard to login as someone else and copy/delete/etc some shit wtf

JayBo
05-25-2010, 05:32 PM
Dude I dunno. The woman that will be my assistant said he's lazy as hell.

They have centralized NOTHING..they have to manually go from machine to machine to do everything.
What BS

stonehenge
05-25-2010, 05:51 PM
Well we don't have remote desktop in place here so there is a lot of running around but we have everyone on a single domain (besides a few special departments) and they are also all on an inventory server that allows us to push out software.

Also, it sounds lazy as shit that he doesn't want to reset passwords :fp: seriously how often can it happen? And it takes what? 2 minutes max? Then you are secure.

:nono:

JayBo
05-25-2010, 09:23 PM
Yep I looked at it today.
He's got 3 fuckin domains set up.
I do NOT like that.

Whats going to be the easiest way to migrate them all into one??

---------- Post added at 04:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 PM ----------

Oh, and when I get home, my laptop has a damn pixelated line going through the screen. So I guess I'm going to have to buy another display or something..

stonehenge
05-25-2010, 09:25 PM
Migrating can suck bad sometimes. Do people have their personal machines with all their shit on them or is it mostly labs and stuff that can be wiped without issue?

It also helps if all 3 domains are the same setup.

JayBo
05-25-2010, 09:29 PM
Everyone has their stuff on their independant machines.
The programs I'm not worried about, most of the software is web-based.

The main thing I'm wanting to do is migrate all faculty/staff to one single domain and set them up home folders on there so they can access their documents/etc from anywhere in the building.

The students will have a generic login/pass and just use flash drives to store data.

Suggestions?

I'd liket o use 1 server as the Primary domain controller, blow one away and use it as the secondary DC (or whatever its called..backup DC/utilities server) and then have the exchange server as it is

stonehenge
05-25-2010, 09:45 PM
Well if they don't store anything on the server and just use it to log in then on the server side it is easy, just create all their accounts on the new beast DC and set them all to the same password with a "required to change at first login" flag and youre good to go.

The client side sucks though. When they login, even if it is the same username, it will create a new profile (new my documents, desktop, favorites, settings, etc) because it is on a new domain. Some programs also go crazy like Outlook won't have any of their mail and whatnot.

I think we ended up copying the files from one profile to the other and then we had to change the permissions on all the files also. It was a pain in the ass.

Now if your users aren't the kind to have all kinds of special shit like Outlook or custom settings and whatnot then you can just tell them "move your shit to the C:/SHIT folder by this date or it will be deleted" lol and then just give them new profiles. But you'll get some people acting :retard: if you do that I bet.

JayBo
05-25-2010, 09:58 PM
I plan on copying them all over to the DC and have it set when they login to create them a home folder on the \\\blahblah\users directory

Then map the My Documents folder to that directory

stonehenge
05-25-2010, 10:21 PM
ah ok, well I hope it goes smoothly, every now and then something in the profile wont like being on a different domain

JayBo
05-25-2010, 10:22 PM
its probably going to be too much of a PITA to even fool with honestly..

stonehenge
05-25-2010, 10:37 PM
he shouldn't have done it in the first place lol

BillyJeanKing
06-03-2010, 08:21 PM
how come none of shaggy's sites worked for me today???

dont make me angry

you wouldn't like me when i'm angry :pissed:

stonehenge
06-03-2010, 08:44 PM
aot and gmfs worked for me :uhohshrug:

.GARY.
06-03-2010, 09:25 PM
I notice that both AOT and GMFS stink it up on FF for me at times, anyone else? But it is still better than IE for me though.

stonehenge
06-03-2010, 09:26 PM
They work fine for me on FF :shrug: but yeah IE/Safari make my smilies go slow as shit. I can't have that nonsense going on up in here. :crossarms:

Cez★
06-03-2010, 09:28 PM
They work fine for me on FF :shrug: but yeah IE/Safari make my smilies go slow as shit. I can't have that nonsense going on up in here. :crossarms:

so does chrome :(

stonehenge
06-03-2010, 09:32 PM
Then :bird: chrome

:roflmao:

Cez★
06-03-2010, 09:33 PM
:sadserio:

theholycow
06-03-2010, 10:45 PM
Always works great for me in Opera...except "Go to first new post".

jschrock
06-08-2010, 08:34 PM
Anyone ever charge random people for private IT work?

I need to start doing this cause tired of employees, past employees, etc wanting everything to be free...need to post up a price sheet.

stonehenge
06-08-2010, 08:43 PM
I need to do this, could make bank if peeps tell other peeps. Side work :drool:

JayBo
06-08-2010, 11:30 PM
I don't do shit for free, unless its someone that can get me out of a bind and I don't mind them owing me something

theholycow
06-09-2010, 12:39 AM
I don't do shit for free except for immediate family.

Oddly, I don't get many people at work asking me to do work for them. Either they're just not aware enough of me (I do tend to hide in my office) or they're not very confident in me :uhoh:.

jschrock
06-09-2010, 02:48 PM
I need to figure something out bc this gets ridiculous at times... Hell even past employees get me to fix their computers. Trying to google a price sheet :rofljest:

stonehenge
06-09-2010, 03:52 PM
So we have one department who are a bitch to deal with right? They act like we don't do shit for them and like they deserve so much more than what we do or something. They decided they'd rather not use our services and hire outside help. Fine, go for it.

So they hired some dude and he quit after HALF a day of work :roflmao: that has to say something about what they expect.

JayBo
06-09-2010, 06:36 PM
local shop will do a clean install for $300 here...
I''m in the wrong business

stonehenge
06-09-2010, 06:39 PM
What!? As in format and install windows/drivers for $300!? Fuck this, DFW local shop.

JayBo
06-09-2010, 06:50 PM
Yep. No shit.
They wanted $60 to blow the dust out of the case.

stonehenge
06-09-2010, 06:52 PM
holy shit you're right, we ARE in the wrong business

JayBo
06-09-2010, 07:06 PM
My dad is trying to rent a place to open computah store

theholycow
06-09-2010, 10:56 PM
Holy. Fucking. Shit! $300 for a format+reinstall...that's nuts.

jschrock
06-10-2010, 02:25 PM
$300 for a re-install is fucking ridiculous, no one around here would pay that. They would save their money and go get a newer one...lol. Although they may be charging them for a license fee in there...

I just want to charge reasonable amounts:

$50 for re-install without backing up (bring own recovery cd that came with laptop)
$100 for re-install with backing up (bring own recovery cd that came with laptop)
$30 diagnostic fee (software/hardware)
$50 virus clean

Just some rough numbers I've been coming up with.